Whats Happened to the Mail

Oink

I have not had any mail now for two months. Have been to the Post Office and they tell me that they are not holding any.

I normally get a monthly credit card statement from my Thai bank (posted locally in Thailand) and regular mail from overseas.

Is anyone else in the Pattaya area experiencing this?

Thanks

Oink

3 minutes ago, Oink said:

Sorry don't understand that comment. Been at the same address for eight years.

You have a private mailbox at your residence that postman puts the mail into?  Just wonder if someone has misplaced other than post office.  You do know your postman and provide a new years gift?  It's expected in USA - and seems to help here also.

17 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You have a private mailbox at your residence that postman puts the mail into?  Just wonder if someone has misplaced other than post office.  You do know your postman and provide a new years gift?  It's expected in USA - and seems to help here also.

No it is a house with its own mail slot

As much as possible, with banks, credit card firms etc, try  to go paperfree.

As much as possible, try to get the statements only online and not by mail, as the mail in Thailand, depending where and who, can be a disastrous nightmare. It also avoids having to bribe some corrupt postman and use only private mail courrier services if you should need to receive parcels But that too can get tricky,  in some places in Thailand 4.0 !

I recently received a parcel 4 and a half months after it had been posted. The contents were not valuable (a book) but it appeared simply to have lain in a pile, in a sorting office perhaps, for months. I complained after about 3 and a half months. Perhaps this is why it arrived at all. No apologies. They provide a low standard service.

In many cases its the Postman thats the issue.  they will sometimes hold stuff in their bag until next/or more to deliver in that area.  (More likely in rural areas than city though).

I always recommend getting a PO Box and that resolves most issues, ????

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

In many cases its the Postman thats the issue

Yes it could well be the postman...in some areas they are crazily over worked and hold on to stuff to do just 1 delivery..but 2 months is pushing it a bit...go to the post office for your area and complain !

as far as I know there are 2 sorting offices for Pattaya area  one on Sukhumvit road near the underwater world  and the other in Nar-glure near the BKK hospital.

In my case, I went to the Sorting Office. Unsurprisingly I was not allowed in and sent to the Post Office. The Post Office said as the parcel was sent unregistered they couldn't do anything.

I found a complaint email address on here that Ubonjoe posted. It may be this one, I can't remember. E-mail : [email protected]

I live in a condo with 500 units so the postman can't possibly claim that it is not worth coming here. They're just rubbish, simple.

Stuff has to be sent registered (or it probably won't arrive) and those who receive mail regularly (unlike me) should get a PO Box at the Post Office as others have suggested. I am pretty much paperless and can easily go 2 or 3 months without any postal correspondence at all.

47 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

No.

Things sent from the US can take a long time, but if you track mail you can see most of the delay is  attributable to the USPS.

Indeed - have had that happen several times - one ATM card lost for 11 months and had US postmarks to prove within US.  Several times other letters lost for month or two because workers do not seem to understand Thailand is not Taiwan or a Caribbean island.  

But in this case OP is also talking about local mail - assume not getting normal advertising mail either - so if that is the case seems delivery is not being made (or to wrong house and other person just discarding - unfriendly neighbors?).  

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Indeed - have had that happen several times - one ATM card lost for 11 months and had US postmarks to prove within US.  Several times other letters lost for month or two because workers do not seem to understand Thailand is not Taiwan or a Caribbean island.  

But in this case OP is also talking about local mail - assume not getting normal advertising mail either - so if that is the case seems delivery is not being made (or to wrong house and other person just discarding - unfriendly neighbors?).  

"But in this case OP is also talking about local mail"

He did mention overseas mail.

20 hours ago, Oink said:

and regular mail from overseas.

With tracked mail, like EMS and registered, to or from the US, I've found that things have moved to or from Pattaya and the airport fairly quickly. Likewise, Thailand to or from a major hub in the US has been reasonable. But between a major hub like LA, Chicago or NY and other locations in the US things can really drag, quite literally "snail mail."

As an example, I sent something by EMS to an address in Texas. It reached the US fairly quickly and then took 10 days to reach the address in Texas ... and have had similar experiences with things sent from the US. If I have anything that's at all urgent to send, I use FedEx.

On the other hand, I once had something sent to me in Thailand by DHL. Tracking showed it reached Bangkok and the next time I checked it had arrived in Nepal, then back to Bangkok.

I've been getting mail sent from within Thailand  pretty much when expected ... not that I get that much now that True and 3BB have reduced reliance on the P.O.

We have had quite a bit of fairly heavy rain in Pattaya this past month. For mailmen on motorbikes that may be a deterrent to efficient delivery service.

Last night I spoke to someone on our village who is having the same problem. He also went to the post office to enquire. He was told that the problem is in the Bangkok sorting office which is the main clearing centre for overseas mail and mail posted in Bangkok (including my Thai bank credit card statements). Allegedly there is mountains of the stuff and its getting bigger.

Regarding using a PO Box, most of the mail I receive is related to banking and financial institutions. They will not accept a PO Box as a correspondence address.

Ah! I get the joke now! Maybe I am stupid enough to get my mail sent to a different address than where I live and then wonder why it does not arrive. Good one!

Oink 

7 minutes ago, Oink said:

Last night I spoke to someone on our village who is having the same problem. He also went to the post office to enquire. He was told that the problem is in the Bangkok sorting office which is the main clearing centre for overseas mail and mail posted in Bangkok (including my Thai bank credit card statements). Allegedly there is mountains of the stuff and its getting bigger.

Only if Pattaya is not collecting - I am having no issues or delay getting my US mail here in Bangkok and it has been almost daily insurance paperwork for the last several months (going paperless does not apply if outside country).  Finger pointing at its best.

Image result for point finger - four pointing back

9 minutes ago, ajnamoon said:

Simple solution    just post a letter addressed  to yourself   and see if it arrives 

Yes, this is a good test. It pinpointed my problem to the local postman. Then I filed a complaint to [email protected]  They sent an inspector out who shook things up at my local p.o. Problem solved.

I have the same problem here in Pattaya. Banglamung post office blame the delays on Sriracha sorting office. As a test I sent several selfstamped envelopes to myself , out of 7 letters , only 2 arrived within 2 days , the rest arrived after 3 weeks. Very strange.

Now Im waiting for an unregistered package from iHerb and so far 6 weeks.

21 hours ago, Briggsy said:

I recently received a parcel 4 and a half months after it had been posted. The contents were not valuable (a book) but it appeared simply to have lain in a pile, in a sorting office perhaps, for months. I complained after about 3 and a half months. Perhaps this is why it arrived at all. No apologies. They provide a low standard service.

Pattaya parcel and mail service is bad. I had a pkg sent from USA ,never got it or a notice of delivery attempt. 5 months later my brother in USA got it returned to him. Another time a pkg was attempted to be delivered but I was not home (was traveling) I sent sis-in-law to get they said they didn't have any record Is ent her back with tracing invoice showing  an attempt had been made and low and behold they find it in back room.

Archived