sell gold necklace back to shop

pumpjack

12 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

I've sold 5 baht at a random gold store in Udon Thani mall.

Didn't have to show any ID, I didn't buy it from that shop.

They take the gold put it on the scale, it had lost a couple grams from being worn for years, check selling price, calculate the amount and cash in hand. No problem

Similar experience in Bangkok (but smaller piece of gold)

20 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Its so true of Thailand we or I should say the Mrs been going to same shop for years, so lady owner is very fair so a one off like OP it could cost but 1000/1500 on 100,000 ain't gonna kill him. 

If your Mrs keeps selling the gold you give her,doesn't that tell you something?

Don't think for one minute you will get back the difference between the buy/sell gold price by weight! When you bought the item it will have included some extra prices which you will not get back, i.e. the design / intricacy of the work involved to make it - it is not a piece of bullion.

Also, you need to shop around as you will get some quite variances in pricing. I sold a chain a while back, the first shop offered me a lower price, he told me that the Gold was "a bit old", he didn't see the funny side when I agreed and said he was correct and it was probably over few million years old already.

(Actually got more than 10K more than originally offered from a tiny little Mom and Pop shop in a small town than what we were offered by the  bigger shops.

• Haha 2

Very little difference in the buying/selling prices on bars but a necklace could easily have over 1000 manufacturer fee.  Then it will depend on what the price of Thai gold has done since you bought it.  Good chance you will lose nothing as gold as recently gone up.

Take your friend with you ,& go together, Thai gold traders give the prices every morning for bullion & ornament & I have found here in Samutsongkhram those prices are paid ,the current gold prices are low compared to earlier in the year,( 18.700 -19.000) earlier they were always over 20.000, it would really be a time to buy rather than sell ,but needs be as needs must .! enter " Thai gold price " on the net.  to get updates . also published in the Bangkok Post business section .

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Cleverman a post like that should be in 'Pub' so stupid you should change your avatar name.

You said your wife keeps going to the gold shop to sell gold. It is not being stupid to wonder why she needs to keep selling her gold. 

3 hours ago, cleverman said:

You said your wife keeps going to the gold shop to sell gold. It is not being stupid to wonder why she needs to keep selling her gold. 

I did not say that I was answering the OP 's questions, she sells her old gold to buy something different and new.

Why don't you answer OP's questions instead of assuming things in my personal life. 

Edited by Kwasaki

7 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I did not say that I was answering the OP 's questions, she sells her old gold to buy something different and new.

Why don't you answer OP's questions instead of assuming things in my personal life. 

7 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

With the fees involved, a person selling one piece of gold and using that money to buy another, where as she would start with a piece costing 100000 bt, after 5 transactions , she would end up with a piece worth 175 bt. Aveagoodday.

3 hours ago, cleverman said:

With the fees involved, a person selling one piece of gold and using that money to buy another, where as she would start with a piece costing 100000 bt, after 5 transactions , she would end up with a piece worth 175 bt. Aveagoodday.

Rubbish !!

Gold baht value bought years ago and traded in against today's baht value doesn't equate to your theory.

29 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Per baht, the jewellery buy-back price is about 1000 baht under the bullion price. Gold shops also charge a commission on buy and sell. I think it's more if it's a falang.

Not in my experience and the bullion price is the bullion price.

The Jewelry is the Jewelry price.

Also there is all the the different types of gold and karat ratings.

http://goldpricez.com/th/24k/baht

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

I have bought and sold gold jewellery. It is weighed and sold by weight.

When I go back to the shop they weigh it and pay the days rate.

Nowadays, I only buy gold bars. The price is relatively low and in the long term should go up.

I always go alone. No need for Thai person to come along.

The first time I showed my passport, but after that no need to as I am registered in their system.

Sent from my SM-C710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, petedk said:

Nowadays, I only buy gold bars. The price is relatively low and in the long term should go up.

Funny you mention that I bought 400,000 baht worth there about and wanted to keep them as an investment.

The place we could go to borrow on gold wouldn't except them as they were sealed in plastic and couldn't test them.

Luckily didn't lose but the shop we bought them from was the only gold shop that would buy them back.  

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Funny you mention that I bought 400,000 baht worth there about and wanted to keep them as an investment.

The place we could go to borrow on gold wouldn't except them as they were sealed in plastic and couldn't test them.

Luckily didn't lose but the shop we bought them from was the only gold shop that would buy them back.  

I have bought 55baht weight worth. 35 from 1 shops and 20 from others. Hope I don't have trouble when needing to sell. Knowing my luck I will.

1 hour ago, kkerry said:

Pumpjack hasn't been on the forum since Wednesday... I hope he wasn't mugged after cashing in... 100,000 baht... lot of money to some people... but maybe he got back with the girlfriend... ????

He hasn't posted since the OP. I like to thank people for good advise when I post on here.

1 hour ago, Dazinoz said:

I have bought 55baht weight worth. 35 from 1 shops and 20 from others. Hope I don't have trouble when needing to sell. Knowing my luck I will.

No you will not have a problem selling just keep them in perfect condition.

Keeping your receipts intack from where they were bought and a copy if they fade is a good idea. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cleverman said:

Those of us clever people studied  the market and found that over the last 10 years silver has proven to be a better investment than gold, therefore, I buy gold. And with much more uses than gold, it's a no brainer. 

Oh you are such a cleverman. Modest too.

Except "silver has proven to be a better investment than gold, therefore, I buy gold."

Edited by Dazinoz

Apropos of this, if perhaps slightly wide of the topic: a couple of years ago I was meandering around Savannakhet, idly killing time. There is a gold shop opposite the bus station. The morning bus from Mukhadan pulled up, a chap leapt off the bus, dashed across the road to the gold shop (nearly got run down in the process - that is why I noticed him), emerged from the gold shop a couple of minutes later and yelled for a tuk tuk to take him to the Thai consulate. Talk about living life on the edge!

1 hour ago, pumpjack said:

bught for 97k  they say they can give me 90k for it now

yep, that sounds about right. at todays rates ornament gold buyback 93765 baht for 5baht gold weight and then 3765 commission.