Jump to content

sell gold necklace back to shop


pumpjack

Recommended Posts

need sell 5 baht neckace back to shop in pattaya

cost me 100,000 baht  3 weeks ago

should i go back to shop mysef or maybe send a thai friend of mine in to resell.  what could i expect to get back

cheers

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talk about bad planning.. i expect you to lose quite a bit on it. I am no expert but there are 2 prices one for buying and one for selling. I think the rates are fixed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Vacuum said:

In theory, the difference between buy and sell, the price is 50 or 100 baht for one baht.

If that is all.. then not much loss.. i expected it to be more.

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

If that is all.. then not much loss.. i expected it to be more.

Yes, but they'll always try the normal excuses; some 'nicks' here and there, it's been used, dirty etc.

In short, they'll never pay the 'buy price' that they advertise.

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

In theory, the difference between buy and sell, the price is 50 or 100 baht for one baht.

Sorry Vacuum that is a Bullion price you are quoting ---certainly not the same with jewelry. Work out how much bullion (Baht weight)  there is then you will know the minimum you will get back---- then plus how much they will pay for craftsmanship.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The price of gold is up slightly from a month ago.

Fixed prices are shown in the shop,your jewelry if it still looks good maybe cleaned and resol as jewelry or just melted down.

The difference between buy and sell is only 100baht as mentioned before.

You can go by yourself ,no problem.If you do not get the normal price go to another gold shop.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would go myself with receipt and a Thai person if poss to explain The loss if any, if gold is the same price as when you bought 100,000 there is a jewelry price and a bullion price, they will go jewelry price which is normally 100 baht per baht price less for buy back.

They will examine it, clean it and weigh it and price accordingly.

One of the gold shops my wife goes don't charge for time had.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

In my experience the "jewellery" design aspect  is added at sale price and deducted when exchanged or sold back. Around 1000- 1500 baht.

 

Well, thats the story I got and of course being Thailand its going to vary 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

In my experience the "jewellery" design aspect  is added at sale price and deducted when exchanged or sold back. Around 1000- 1500 baht.

 

Well, thats the story I got and of course being Thailand its going to vary 😁

Its so true of Thailand we or I should say the Mrs been going to same shop for years, so lady owner is very fair so a one off like OP it could cost but 1000/1500 on 100,000 ain't gonna kill him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You might do okay the price of gold is up in the past few weeks

Take a Thai friend if you trust them

Chinatown in BKK would be the best spot to sell IMHO


Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've sold 5 baht at a random gold store in Udon Thani mall.

Didn't have to show any ID, I didn't buy it from that shop.

They take the gold put it on the scale, it had lost a couple grams from being worn for years, check selling price, calculate the amount and cash in hand. No problem

Link to post
Share on other sites

need sell 5 baht neckace back to shop in pattaya

cost me 100,000 baht  3 weeks ago

should i go back to shop mysef or maybe send a thai friend of mine in to resell.  what could i expect to get back

cheers

 

not the girlfriend :cheesy:

Link to post
Share on other sites

When you buy a gold necklace: Total price = gold sell price + "design" (in my experience a couple of hundred baht)

When you sell it: Total price = gold buy price (at that moment), you won't get the "design" part back.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow PJ ... this is a bit more up-market topic than asking how much it would cost to drive to Hau Hin ... just keep the gold for the next one you pump ...

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Yes, but they'll always try the normal excuses; some 'nicks' here and there, it's been used, dirty etc.

In short, they'll never pay the 'buy price' that they advertise.

My wife often sells back and upgrades her gold.. they always weigh it and pay the price.. never had them haggle.. but that is just our experience.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The latest price for gold ornaments (jewellery) is 18707/baht weight so 5 baht will get 93535 less commission charged by the shops which sometimes can be negotiated. So Cereal would be close to the mark on a 10% loss.

 

With the stock markets crashing I would wait a bit longer as gold is heading up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Vacuum said:

In theory, the difference between buy and sell, the price is 50 or 100 baht for one baht.

Thats for bars not jewellery. It is 100 baht for bars and nearly 1000 for jewellery plus commission.

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, jvs said:

The price of gold is up slightly from a month ago.

Fixed prices are shown in the shop,your jewelry if it still looks good maybe cleaned and resol as jewelry or just melted down.

The difference between buy and sell is only 100baht as mentioned before.

You can go by yourself ,no problem.If you do not get the normal price go to another gold shop.

100 baht difference only applies to bullion (bars), jewellery is nearly 1000 difference. See pic. First price is for bullion or bars and second is for jewellery.

Image-1.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

The above comments are correct. You should get the buying price of the day based on weight,

You will loose the "making charge" which dependent on the complexity of crafting can be as high as 1,200 Bht per Bht

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/24/2018 at 10:19 AM, robblok said:

Talk about bad planning.. i expect you to lose quite a bit on it. I am no expert but there are 2 prices one for buying and one for selling. I think the rates are fixed.

That’s right also the price in the shop is he cost of the gold not for the design 

 

for example if you buy gold bars then that’s the value of the price in the shop

 

to buy a gold chain the buy price would be the value of gold thag day then a set smaller cost for the design

 

Should get quite a bit back though at least 90% of the value set at today’s gold price 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What you need to do is go to any shop and get a value 

 

then go and calculate the value yourself or with someone who knows about gold 

 

then if your happy with the price the shop offered you then go back and sell of not then go to another shop 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BigC said:

What you need to do is go to any shop and get a value 

 

then go and calculate the value yourself or with someone who knows about gold 

 

then if your happy with the price the shop offered you then go back and sell of not then go to another shop 

All shops work on the quoted spread prices of Thai gold both bars and jewellery at any given time then usually add a commission. Its the commission that can vary for a given gold price.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...