U.S. Social security and the ACH deposits

Does anybody here know if U.S. citizens currently  receiving Social Security benefits via the New York branch of Bangkok Bank ACH will continue to receive them after 1 April 2019? There seems to be an issue of the formats (now  being used) are being changed from ACH format to IACH format. That means, as far as I know, that Bangkok Bank will need to accommodate the new IACH format. Is the new format even being used by the U.S. social security system? Any U.S. citizens in the know re: this new system? You can read about the issue at the Pattaya City Expats Club website.

It has been discussed here for the last month - Bangkok Bank New York indeed accepts the IACH format and many SS checks are indeed already in that format.  Check the financial section for who/how to call to confirm how your checks are being received.

• Thanks 1

Thanks lopburi3.  I haven't been paying close enough attention evidently. I don't mean to be ignorant but when you refer me to check the financial section,  which financial section are you referring to?

Edited by albertik
clarification

There is some really good news coming on similar issues.

On another thread it was reported that social security will start allowing DIRECT DEPOSITS to all Thailand banks starting sometime next year.

No more ACH (or IAT) schemes via New York needed.

The payments will then be paid directly into your Thai bank account. I'm assuming no more of that deal where you have to show up in person to get cash as with the current Bangkok Bank thing but if I'm wrong about that, someone will hopefully correct me. 

So when this goes through I assume it can be done by contacting Manila FBU and changing your payment bank. I'm assuming you can't change to a foreign bank via MySSA online though I may be wrong about that too.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

Tried looking up the required amounts and hours and it is still not clear.. you can work part-time under 45 hours/ month and you cannot make over 17K, and still file for Social Security at 62?  Comments or clarifications?

23 hours ago, albertik said:

Thanks Jingthing…. we need some good news following the income affidavit denial. Care to direct me to the other thread you referred to.   

If you are talking the new "International Direct Deposit (IDD)" capability for SS payments beginning first quarter of 2019 for folks living in Thailand, just look at post number 344 in the same thread lopburi3 gave earlier....or use below same thread which should take you right to post 344.

Social Security payments via IDD is not to be confused with SS payments made via ACH like to Bangkok Bank which come 1 Apr 19 will reject all ACH transactions not in "International ACH Transaction (IAT)" format.   This IAT format is different than the typical ACH transaction referred to as a Domestic ACH format or ACH Prearranged Payments & Deposits (PPD) format.   Some people SS payments are in IAT format and some in PPD format....like a family member of mine which is in PPD format but has a Thailand address.  It's still a mystery as to why some folks getting SS payments to Bangkok Bank are in IAT format and other PPD format. But one thing for sure, many are in the PPD format which will be rejected by Bankgok Bank come the Apr 19 payments. And the Manila Social Security Office has been clueless on the IAT and PPD format issue so far...at least my couple of pieces of correspondence with them about a month ago and from what some other folks have posted.

But if you can stand to read through the long thread below it should become clearer....along with probably having a headache after the read.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, FredGallaher said:

The question is will the Thai Bank issue an official letter stating monthly deposits of >B6500/mo, that would be acceptable to Thai Immigrations. This would do away with the need for the Embassy letter. I plan to ask Thai Immigrantions  when I renew in April. For those receiving less on SS they could still use a combination method. 

Since the Thai Bank already issues a letter that's accepted by TI for deposits of 2-3 months, I see this as a clear possibility. 

Hopefully long before your extension renewal in Apr 19 Thai immigration will officially state if monthly transfers to a Thai bank of Bt65K per month or just showing certain US income documents "without an embassy letter" for a retirement extension of stay is acceptable. 

Until Thai immigration publishes such a policy the US/UK embassy statements that Thai immigration should accept such monthly transfers is just talk even if Thai immigration folks told US/UK embassy folks that in a meeting months ago.  It's all just talk until it signed, sealed, and delivered by "Thai Immigration."

Just received an email from Manila re: ACH transfer but alas so far this exercise is proving to be a bit like a dog chasing it's tail. They requested more personal info from me; I am quite sure they already have the aforementioned info on file somewhere.  So being the obedient servant that I am, I sent them what they asked for.  Now I will await further response from them.  ????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, albertik said:

Just received an email from Manila re: ACH transfer but alas so far this exercise is proving to be a bit like a dog chasing it's tail. They requested more personal info from me; I am quite sure they already have the aforementioned info on file somewhere.  So being the obedient servant that I am, I sent them what they asked for.  Now I will await further response from them.  ????

They seem a bit busy out there....

As nice to know, don't expect IDD to change restrictions of a U.S. govt Direct Deposit account for some countries like Thailand, the Philippines, etc. The Philippines already has IDD capability.  For example, for US govt payments to Philippines banks, basically the same restrictions apply as Bangkok Bank currently applies. Below is a cut and paste from the Philippines National Bank (PNB) which is one of the largest banks in the Philippines....notice the use restrictions....basically you need to show up in person to withdraw/transfer funds....no joint account.  And I've seen in posts on Philippines expat forms you do not get an ATM card either because you have to make all withdrawals at a branch counter in person....still standing up and breathing....just like currently required by Bangkok Bank.   But at least with a Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit account you can withdraw from any of their branches; but in the Philippines it must be done only at the branch you opened the Direct Deposit account at.

https://www.pnb.com.ph/index.php/personal-banking/deposit-accounts/direct-deposit-program.html

image.png.0294b77c74a44b11f199b16690ac5abe.png