Where will it stop...?

swissie

It must have spread even to Farangs living in rather remote corners of Thailand: Things are changing.
- So far, the efforts seem to be concentrated on going after "Visa Violators", but in a way that makes it also more cumbersome for "non visa violators" to stay in the country long term (see Visa sub-forum). Some say "long overdue", others say "why change something that has worked well for Farangs as well as Thais for decades".
BREAKING NEWS: The gapless surveillance of ALL foreighners at ALL times is is the ultimate goal, to be acheived by a Centralised Data Center. (Source: "The Nation").
- Where will those efforts stop with regard to the "De-Criminalisation" of the foreighn populace?

What might be next?
Company owned real estate? Going after the Visa Mills? Having to prove that the marriage is not a marriage of conveniance (the burden of proof remaining with the Farang?). And, and, and.....
In the current environement, the much quoted "Thai paranoia of everything foreighn" seems to fall on fertile grounds these days. Possibly feeding on itself. Well, where will it stop?
-----------------------------------
Perhaps the only way to remain in LOS long term will be to deposit the required amount in a Thai Bank. Those minimum requirements have not been increased in a very very long time. (I am absolutely sure, that this issue is on the agenda of Thai Immigration). In retrospective, the current Bht 800'000 requirement may appear as a bargain in the future.
Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

you are right about the evolution, they are making it more difficult.

yet all their new regulations and more stringent enforcement of existing ones seem to concentrate on criminals and poor foreigners who don't have the 800k.

I think long term stayers who can't cough up 800k are in a dire situation and should not take unnecessary risks. The could become a problem for the Thai healthcare system.

Another argument is that being poor is a motivation for crime. Some poor foreigners will resort to crime to finance their needs.

The Thai Elite scheme appears a good and financially interesting solution.

I think RESIDENTIAL company owned real estate won't be cracked down upon anytime soon because the only people disturbed by this scheme are ThaiVisa holier-than-thou bigots. Many Thais earn money from it as well as the government through company tax.

BTW, company tax requirements have been made more stringent several times, they want to see a profit and especially that the company pays tax. If the company pays sufficient tax, they leave it alone because it doesn't bother them.

Things are of course different for corporate/speculative property.

All these things are true.Yes a shift in attitude to foreigners,could see this coming a mile off. Ive lived through this in another country,some 10 years ago,all white skinned given marching orders,lose everything,even the dogs you kept as pets.

Thais themselves are to say the least unhappy with their lot,low wages,hopeless outlook,nothing improves for them and in a way it trickles down to farang,who by now is wondering if he is hanging on by the tips of his fingers. Thailand is not getting more welcoming,its the opposite,what an upheaval for majority of guys now in their twilight years,hoping Thailand would be their last port of call,seems almost cruel..Want to sell the house/condo to make a move to more welcoming shores? impossible,. who the hell is going to invest in a country that does not want them Bit easier on renters,but even they will be in a tight spot,where to go,all of Asia will be doing what Thais do today

Its a bum rap coming up,just prepare for the worst,hoping for the best

25 minutes ago, pastprime said:

All these things are true.Yes a shift in attitude to foreigners,could see this coming a mile off. Ive lived through this in another country,some 10 years ago,all white skinned given marching orders,lose everything,even the dogs you kept as pets.

Thais themselves are to say the least unhappy with their lot,low wages,hopeless outlook,nothing improves for them and in a way it trickles down to farang,who by now is wondering if he is hanging on by the tips of his fingers. Thailand is not getting more welcoming,its the opposite,what an upheaval for majority of guys now in their twilight years,hoping Thailand would be their last port of call,seems almost cruel..Want to sell the house/condo to make a move to more welcoming shores? impossible,. who the hell is going to invest in a country that does not want them Bit easier on renters,but even they will be in a tight spot,where to go,all of Asia will be doing what Thais do today

Thanks. You said everything I said in my OP. But you said it in a way that even I can understand what I wrote above in my OP.

PS: What was the country that gave you "marching orders"? We would not want that Thai-Expats end up in the country that gave you the "marching order". Heaven forbid!

4 hours ago, pastprime said:

I lived happily in Thailand, with the usual irritations of course, but things are visibly changing.

The whole income verification thing, which has severely agitated the community, based on the pages of posts,  I can see that being just the start.

I’ve said this in one of the other threads, but I agree with @swissie that sooner or later that ฿400/800K requirement is gonna be jacked up too.

For whatever reason the retiree community is being targeted.

The fact that they contribute to the community, be they rich or poor and are no burden to the State seems not to be the primary motivation, I suspect xenophobia! 

I’ve also said before, but it’s worth repeating.

When you live in a country of which you are not a citizen, with little to no rights of ownership, having a bolt hole, or at the very least an escape plan, ain’t a bad thing

5 hours ago, swissie said:

Thanks. You said everything I said in my OP. But you said it in a way that even I can understand what I wrote above in my OP.

PS: What was the country that gave you "marching orders"? We would not want that Thai-Expats end up in the country that gave you the "marching order". Heaven forbid!

goa

Edited by pastprime
ditto

Many "think way to much" about and get hysterical and paranoid 

Everyone get a turn with Thai police.

they crackdown on this and that.

For Thais many crackdown of road rule.. 

fines gonna lifted 500%

crackdown people riding back of pickup truck (not last long!)

crackdown not stopping at zebra crossing..

ride bike on pavement.

crackdown Thais renting out condo short-term.

on and on it goes!

Endless amount of crackdowns if you are Thai.

Is just happen that its farangs turn now. probably just cos they dont want to upset Thais before an election.

Anyway, not like they go after him minding his own business.

they go after a law breaker and he who are dodging around certain laws.

you knew it when you did it, and many clearly taking the pjss, like overstaying 5 or more years.

cant really blame them.

and guys..why you suggest they going to put the 800k UP????

you say like that, thinking no Thais read this? and next thing you are moaning when it actually does happen!!!

last time frangers moaning on TV for YEARS talking about how they gonna screw us about visa..

then next thing you know the Double Entry TE suddenly dissapear!!

so kindly i suggest..if you DONT want it to happen..dont have to put the idea "out there"!!

Keep it to yourself!!

ok!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, manarak said:

think RESIDENTIAL company owned real estate won't be cracked down upon anytime soon because the only people disturbed by this scheme are ThaiVisa holier-than-thou bigots. Many Thais earn money from it as well as the government through company tax.

Government earning money from the company tax?

From the 12 - 20.000 Baht those company "owners" pay to their accountant every year maybe 5% is actually company tax, and all the rest goes into the accountant's pocket.

I don't think the government is gonna lose any sleep about losing that lucrative income.

6 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Government earning money from the company tax?

From the 12 - 20.000 Baht those company "owners" pay to their accountant every year maybe 5% is actually company tax, and all the rest goes into the accountant's pocket.

I don't think the government is gonna lose any sleep about losing that lucrative income.

it's still better than earning zero and I mentioned tax requirements are steadily rising

Just now, manarak said:

it's still better than earning zero and I mentioned tax requirements are steadily rising

If there is a forced sale they probably earn a hundred times that in one go, only from land transfer taxes.

Then I don't even mention the other opportunities when a firesale of several thousand farang houses happens