Leicester City football club owner's helicopter crashes outside stadium

rooster59

Leicester City football club owner's helicopter crashes outside stadium

800x800 (4).jpg

Soccer Football - Premier League - Leicester City v West Ham United - King Power Stadium, Leicester, Britain - October 27, 2018 General view of the wreckage of the helicopter belonging to Leicester City owner Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha that crashed outside the King Power Stadium REUTERS/Andrew Yates

LEICESTER, England (Reuters) - A helicopter belonging to Leicester City football club owner Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha crashed in a ball of flames in the club's car park on Saturday, British media said.

It was not known whether Vichai was in the helicopter which had taken off just moments before from the pitch about 40 minutes after the end of the game.

The helicopter which is thought to be able to carry up to 20 people spiralled out of control before crashing, Sky reported.

Leicester police tweeted that they were dealing with an incident near the club's King Power Stadium and that emergency services were also at the scene.

Freelance photographer Ryan Brown was covering the game and saw the helicopter clear the stadium before it crashed, the BBC reported.

"Literally the engine stopped and I turned around, and it made a bit of a whirring noise," Brown told BBC Radio 5 Live. "It turned silent, blades started spinning and then there was a big bang."

Vichai bought the unfancied side in 2010 before they stunned the world of soccer by beating the likes of Manchester United, Liverpool and Chelsea to win the Premier League title in 2016.

Leicester had played a league match at home against West Ham United earlier on Saturday, drawing 1-1.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-10-28

Just looking at the BBC, they say they are uncertain if he was on board at the time.

Or in BBC speak, No announcement untill relatives have been informed.

Just mentioned it to the wife, she looked shocked, she said he did a lot for Thai football, especially in the troubled south of the country.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, kickstart said:

Just looking at the BBC, they say they are uncertain if he was on board at the time.

Or in BBC speak, No announcement untill relatives have been informed.

Just mentioned it to the wife, she looked shocked, she said he did a lot for Thai football, especially in the troubled south of the country.

I think you're on to something. The story of the crash has been out for quite awhile, but still no news about who was onboard.

Very sad news. Not a fan of football really but undeniably he has done a lot for Leicester city and all the fans. Seems unlikely he was not on board because its not something you would hold back from the press if he wasn't. Much more likely he was on board the helicopter, I hope it was not him and his family.

9 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

Very sad news. Not a fan of football really but undeniably he has done a lot for Leicester city and all the fans. Seems unlikely he was not on board because its not something you would hold back from the press if he wasn't. Much more likely he was on board the helicopter, I hope it was not him and his family.

Seems likely. One guy reporting from the ground who observed and was there every week said the usual routine was that the Chairman would leave with any VIP guests and never known for him not to be on the initial lift. 

Very sad. 

5 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

If that is the actual footage of the flight that crashed, it appears there were 3 older men and their wives who boarded.

If you read the comments on YouTube they are scathing and saying it’s old footage and “people should be ashamed” for posting etc. 

A guy  in the video is wearing shortsleeves which suggests it’s old as it was freezing cold. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bluemoonpattaya said:

I  think the relatives would like to be informed in person. rather than see it on the news.   It' called respect.... 

How do we know they have not been? anyway, it's obvious nobody was getting out of that alive and likely cause of death was burns. His business aside he was a very great man IMO and much loved in Leicester for his achievements and enormous generosity to fans.

• Like 1

Very sad incident and the silence is deafening as surely they/he would say if he wasn't on there.

I don't see why he wouldn't be if he attended the game. I guess several family members were on there as well and maybe other VIP's. 

I hope casualties are as low as possible. 

6 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

How do we know they have not been? anyway, it's obvious nobody was getting out of that alive and likely cause of death was burns. 

Thanks for the update Quincy.  At least any deceased won’t need an autopsy now.

Edited by Kadilo
  • Sad 1