Immigrant O multiple entry-Married to a Thai

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2018 at 7:35 AM, MARK74 said:

It would depend on where you live in Thailand.

From BKK to HCMC, Vietnam

7am Air Asia from DMK to HCMC. Take taxi to from the airport (use Vinasun or Mai Linh) to the consulate and put the application in.

Pick up passport next day in the afternoon from the consulate and fly back Air Asia to DMK around 9pm.

A hand written letter from wife requesting the visa is required otherwise it's the same as Savanakhet.

There are recent reports from thai visa members confirming the rules are unchanged there.

Correct... I got a Non O back in July in HCM with what you stated above...

I don't have any money in the bank except for the 79000 plus that I receive as a pension on a monthly basis. My Social Security payment is deposited in Bangkok Bank, and my state retirement and annuity are deposited in my credit union in Alabama. Together, these payments are more than required for a Non-Immigrant "O" visa for a single man. I will be getting married to my girlfriend, soon, a lady with a grown son, who is finishing up his hitch in the Thai Army. If I understand the rules correctly, my Social Security payment alone (42 thousand dollars per month) would financially qualify me for a Non-O based on marriage. My question is whether I-O authorities will recognize my Social Security statement as "proof" that I draw that amount each month. The SS also provides a letter stating the amount, duration and start date of the benefit. I have one year before I have to deal with this, but I want everything nailed down before the time arrives. I have similar proof for my state retirement and annuity payment, but no clue if they will be accepted for extension purposes.  I will be departing for Cambodia if Thailand cannot provide an inexpensive way to stay here. I have been quoted between 500 and 850 USD to get me a visa next year. I don't have money to throw away, that's why I moved here.  Your comments and observations would be appreciated.

5 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

If I understand the rules correctly, my Social Security payment alone (42 thousand dollars per month) would financially qualify me for a Non-O based on marriage. My question is whether I-O authorities will recognize my Social Security statement as "proof" that I draw that amount each month. The SS also provides a letter stating the amount, duration and start date of the benefit. I have one year before I have to deal with this, but I want everything nailed down before the time arrives.

I assume you meant 42k baht not dollars.

I don't think anybody can you answer what will be needed next year at this time since immigration has not announced anything about what will be needed next year. 

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I assume you meant 42k baht not dollars.

I don't think anybody can you answer what will be needed next year at this time since immigration has not announced anything about what will be needed next year. 

Thanks, Joe....I DID, in fact mean baht rather than dollars. This situation has me in such a panic that I can't even use my computer. My greatest fear is that they will make it far more expensive and difficult to live here. I realize that the 68 year old American terrorists that flock here to spend money are a slap in the face to Thai culture, but it's really not asking too much to have the plan fully in place before the announcement is made.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Danthai said:

No money required? How about a Multi non o for visiting wife in HCM?

Yes, in HCM.  No "financials" required, as supporting a Thai wife seems to be enough proof for them.  This is available at both HCM or Savannakhet.  The only difference in requirements is that the Visa Fee is higher - 5K Baht Savannakhet for a multi-entry vs 2K for a single-entry; HCM will want dollars, and it's a bit higher than the exchange-rate value (I think $200 USD for the 1-year Multi).