Samsung laptop charger

Bang Bang

I need a new charger for my 6-year old Samsung NP900X3C laptop. The current charger is rated 19V 2.1A. But all I see on Lazada for Samsung are 19V 3.16A. Can I use one of these or will it fry the battery? Will the lead fit in mine? If the answer to either of the two previous question is no then what are my options? Thanks.

I'm not an electrical engineer but as far as I know, it's only the voltage which matters in your case.

The way I see, the receiving end doesn't care about the amperage the transformer is able to push, as long as it is enough. 

If we have better educated people who say otherwise, it's a learning time.

The voltage must be the same or at least near the same. If necessary I would try it with +/- 1V.

The Amp on the adapter should be at least the number of the old adapter. It tells you how many Ampere the adapter is able to provide. This is the max, not what it will provide.

It's like having a wall socket. You can use it for an oven which uses lot of power (Amp * Volt). But you can use the same wall socket for a small lamp (with the correct voltage). The lamp will use just a little power.

If the new adapter has a little less, lets say 1.9A in your case, it will probably still work. But make sure it does not get too hot and the charging will likely take a little longer.

What is also very important is that the connector is the same and the polarity of that connector is correct. I.e. some round plugs have plus inside, some have it outside. If you use one which does not fit your device that is bad, likely very bad!

And then there is AC and DC. Make sure your adapters are the same! If it does not match: bad news!

I think 19V adapter are relative common, also for some Samsung monitors. It shouldn't be a big problem to find one.

• Like 1

No concern if the voltage is correct.

More amps is OK, less amps is not OK.

How much current (A) is drawn is controlled by the laptop electronics.

The plug should be this dimension:

(the adapters have different plug dimensions depending on voltage)

plug.jpg

Picture is from Lazada (258 Baht):

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/19v-316a5530mm-60w-ac-power-supply-charger-adapter-for-samsung-laptop-notebook-i257665964-s396992424.html

You will find such trivial stuff at every IT mall.

Plenty in the range up to 600 Baht.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Thanks, that's my model in there. But the price, yeow! They should call it an AC Adapter Extorter...

Based on what folks here say I ordered a 19V 3.16A charger from Lazada. Didn't verify the plug dimensions though. Hopefully, it will fit.

Thanks all.

• Like 1