Kalasin: Rods and sticks help end 19-hour bus hostage drama

webfact

UPDATE: Rods and sticks help end 19-hour bus hostage drama

By The Nation

bd0ddff43bac7d3bff64dc101c4e9d1c.jpeg

After 19 hours of a bus hostage drama, an allegedly intoxicated 56-year-old man who had held his bus co-passenger hostage at knifepoint on Saturday night in Kalasin province was finally subdued by police on Sunday afternoon.

2e8d1f9b1f73f0446746263960f4ed44.jpeg

A former Bangkok taxi driver who had reportedly been on medication for mental illness boarded the Bangkok-Ban Phaeng bus at 8pm in Kalasin’s Kham Moung district. When the bus had reached Somdet district and was heading towards Muang, he held the passenger next to him hostage at knifepoint.

7cf1213e4f36e14b08618989a58dbe74.jpeg

The driver took the bus to Somdet Police Station to let superintendent Pol Colonel Thaweesak Raksasilpa and other officials handle the hostage crisis, resulting in the suspect agreeing to free 15 passengers on board the bus. The suspect, however, refused to leave the bus and threatened to stab the police officers who were trying to get him out.

Police asked the bus driver to drive to the man's home in Kham Moung to let his relatives talk him into dropping the knife but that also failed, so the bus returned to the precinct early on Sunday. By this time Kalasin Governor Kraisorn Kongchalard and provincial police chief Pol Maj-General Thinnarat Phetchpansri had also joined the negotiating team.

92637bc1766dbbb0bf454913cf1c8ae3.jpeg

The decision to subdue the suspect with metal rods was made after the earlier use of five tear gas canisters proved fruitless, as he resisted the police by waving a knife to threaten the officers. 

The use of Y-shaped rods and hooked sticks to subdue knife-wielding or agitated people and prevent injuries to the suspects as well as police had first made headlines last July when Maha Sarakham police released a video clip of the demonstration online. In this case, a similar tool was successfully used to apprehend the suspect.

32ae7f81b89f18788ae12a3e0bad30c7.jpeg

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30357356

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-29
  • Confused 1

The RTP don't appear to have wire-fired tasers yet. I suppose if a low-tech cheap product works maybe it's all that's necessary.
That was my first thought. Even without it they should have kevlars and batton sh. Out of him...

Even gas him up would do..

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The decision to subdue the suspect with metal rods was made after the earlier use of five tear gas canisters proved fruitless

One wonders what they did with the tear gas canisters, chucked them at his head like a coconut shy. More probably they were cheapo Chinese gear obtained in some budget rort.

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

The RTP don't appear to have wire-fired tasers yet. I suppose if a low-tech cheap product works maybe it's all that's necessary.

To expensive.. the officers have to pay for uniform and weapons accessories themself according to our local police. 

1 hour ago, atyclb said:
6 hours ago, webfact said:

allegedly intoxicated 56-year-old man

nice to learn at least it was not the driver in this case

Although after all that time with the drunk breathing down his neck, the driver could well have become drunk too - 'intoxicated by way of second-hand fumes'

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, unamazedloso said:

seems im better prepared than the rtp. i got tazers, guns, battons, knives, trained dogs and sticks. Can i get one of those colorful badges to poudly display upon my chest? Do you buy them somewhere?

After this public post announcing your arsenal...... You may have RTP visitors searching your HOME soon................ 

I fully suspect that some Thai Officials that know English read these forums............

Do you want to mention your address to make it just a bit easier for them............

Then RIP..... (REST IN PRISON)

1 hour ago, unamazedloso said:

seems im better prepared than the rtp. i got tazers, guns, battons, knives, trained dogs and sticks. Can i get one of those colorful badges to poudly display upon my chest? Do you buy them somewhere?

You must feel awfully safe then.

Just now, sawadeeken said:

After this public post announcing your arsenal...... You may have RTP visitors searching your HOME soon................ 

I fully suspect that some Thai Officials that know English read these forums............

Do you want to mention your address to make it just a bit easier for them............

Then RIP..... (REST IN PRISON)

Um,... it was a poor stab at dark sarchastic humour? Will that fix it......

12 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

My wish is for the best of luck for you............ Just keep your eyes open for signs of trouble.......

You have volunteered information on yourself..... Unnecessarily..........

17 hours ago, car720 said:

US of course.

But in Thailand then, you are saying that the Cops don't shoot people?????????

Watch the US news and watch the Thai news (and ThaiVisa.com) and prove your Therory to yourself........

I already know the score...........

On 10/29/2018 at 4:42 AM, webfact said:

The decision to subdue the suspect with metal rods was made after the earlier use of five tear gas canisters proved fruitless, as he resisted the police by waving a knife to threaten the officers. 

Tear gas is pretty effective in an enclosed area.  In a bus, just one canister should have been plenty to at least disorient the persons inside.  5 canisters did nothing?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, car720 said:

to put it in simpler terms, I was trying to say that the police in the US could learn from these guys that you don't always have to pull out your gun and shoot every time that you are confronted with any situation.  There are other ways to take control of people.

You win.......... I am not 'trolling' for an argument......... Nothing further from me in 'OUR' differences........ Best regards, Ken

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Just Weird said:

In this case?  What are you talking about?  There has never been a reported case of a bus driver holding passengers hostage at knifepoint.

On 10/29/2018 at 4:42 AM, webfact said:

=============================================================================================

above is verbatim what i quoted and replied to.

if you are being facetious,  cool.

if not consider some classes in reading comprehension.

On 10/29/2018 at 12:25 PM, unamazedloso said:

Probably not.. if your American your number is up.. if your a Brit they might believe it as they have less tendencies to collect weapons unlike their US cousins. 

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 4:52 PM, atyclb said:

=============================================================================================

What you commented by saying "in this case" suggested that there had been another case in which the driver had taken passengers hostage.  There has not been such a case reported.

So I was not being facetious, neither do I need comprehension classes.

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:
On 10/30/2018 at 4:52 PM, atyclb said:
  On 10/29/2018 at 4:42 AM, webfact said:

What you commented by saying "in this case" suggested that there had been another case in which the driver had taken passengers hostage.  There has not been such a case reported.

So I was not being facetious, neither do I need comprehension classes.

your response is just weird