Distraught German driver kills Thai cyclist on Friendship Highway

snoop1130

Distraught German driver kills Thai cyclist on Friendship Highway

77jowo_1540714388_7560.jpg

A video on the site of Jowo77 showed the aftermath to a road accident on Sunday night in the Si Khiw district of Nakorn Ratchasima.

The obscured video showed the dead body of 55 year old Thaworn Singnoi of Mitraphap sub-district along with his push bike. 

It also showed a 53 year old German man named as Clos Rieger Marcel Maria sitting by the side of the highway with his head in his hands. 

The accident occurred at KM marker 102-103 heading into Nakorn Ratchasima.

The German's red plated, Bangkok registered, white Toyota Vios with its front smashed was nearby.

The German man told Si Khiw police that he was on his way to Korat to see his girlfriend. It was very dark and he did not see the cyclist wheeling his bike across the road until it was too late.

Pol Lt Theerapong Pinitmontree of the Si Khiw constabulary said there were frequent accidents at this spot because there were no lights. He appreciated that the driver of the car was not familiar with the road. 

Jowo77 reported that the Vios would be checked and the case would proceed, though in what direction was not speculated upon. 

The video showed a policeman taking pictures before the bicycle was removed.

As the dead body of the cyclist was loaded into an ambulance.

Source: 77JOWO

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-29
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, inThailand said:

Pol Lt Theerapong Pinitmontree of the Si Khiw constabulary said there were frequent accidents at this spot because there were no lights. 

Back home one could sue the authorities for being idiots. Here they are promoted or better yet transfered to inactive post. 

That's a little bit unfair, presumably the car had working headlights, in which case it would be up to the guy walking across the road not to cross in front of the car. Look both ways before crossing a road.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

No doubt every effort will be made to heap the blame on the German driver , this is Thailand .  Red number plate or not , unfamiliar with the road , I am sure that this German was an experience driver able to drive unfamiliar roads at night .  What isn't mentioned which I would guarantee , is that the cyclist had no lights  so was invisible .

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

On 10/30/2018 at 8:14 AM, dotpoom said:

May the deceased RIP and condolences to family, friends and loved ones.

Was just thinking the same somebody has died and the discussion is “red plates” RIP sir.

Edited by Ron19

2 hours ago, inThailand said:

The red plate rumor is just a TV urban myth. Repeated countless times by those who don't even own a car. 

Bull**** Sir.. It is not a myth, as one poster pointed out you cannot drive outside the registered province after 6p.m. Take it from me who bought a new car and checked with the local police who happens to be a friend. You must also fill in EVERY journey in the red book, fine for not doing so is 2,000 Baht. Please check facts before slamming other posters who are simply trying to help.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MARK74 said:

They told you wrong

OK ........... enlighten us please! Everyone would like to know the true facts regarding "Red Plated Vehicles" & abide by Thai Law as well as complying when they change. It's a good topic & I'm sure it will make interesting reading. My understanding is that you can only drive in the area where the vehicle was registered & from 6pm to 6am with a "Red Plate" the vehicle should not be driven on the road. I know Thai's ignore this rule as they like to be seen in public with new car unregistered, some even ignore even a number plate ........ it's the "one up ... man'ship thing" & the police ignore it too ....... until of course an accident happens. I'm sure if you are outside the rules even your insurance company will be telling you that you've blown your cover & your certificate of insurance is "null & void". 

He did hit the cyclist it was dark,did the cyclist have lights or anything to show him there.i have seen many cyclist who are on the bike without no lights tò show him or her off.he will be getting visit from the family now because of the accident all his fault now

Here is a crazy idea... what if the biker would have had a light on the bike? I heard rumors that this is the law at least in the Nordic countries... but using a flashlight to save your own life? Noooo that's just plain crazy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

That's a little bit unfair, presumably the car had working headlights, in which case it would be up to the guy walking across the road not to cross in front of the car. Look both ways before crossing a road.

Probably exactly the case 

Daily how many times do Thais drive a motorbike from left onto a main road without even looking.

just returned local town some 6 km away if i desired i could have wiped out at least 4 motorbikes and their occupants mostly obese women who did exactly this.

They really don't care or even look! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, xerostar said:

It never ceases to amaze me how people in Thailand have little regard for their own safety. The belief that their amulets are enough protection means there are serious deficiencies in the education system.

He probably didn't have an amulet with a light, which could have saved him. 

It's a sad accident, but everybody who drives a car here knows that many people in Thailand don't care to get good lighting on their vehicles or person to be seen at night!

It is a tragedy for anybody to be killed on the road , but how many times does one come behind motorcycles that have no rear light and a dirty or defective reflector . I see so many cars at night that are missing lights front and rear , One night I came up behind a 2 wheeled farm tractor with trailer and no rear light at all , fortunately I spotted it in time ; at traffic lights all the motorcyclists jump the lights before they turn from red to green . The Highway police are only interested in drivers licences and vehicle road tax during daylight hours , but never do anything about the many vehicles that are defective or drivers breaking the law . I don't know why some cars have red number plates ; I bought a new pickup and never had any red plates .

• Haha 1