Nimmanhaemin -- Meh!

ricklev

I've been grazing the want ads recently and virtually every real estate ad for a condo says it close to Nimman and Maya (even if it's not).  Who cares!  For a brief period Nimmanhaemin was great and now it's mostly an annoying Chinese tourist trap.  Sad.

• Like 1

Guide books and tourist websites are slow to update and reflect the new reality of Nimmanhamin, that it is expensive and boring.  That results in people new to Chiang Mai thinking it's a good place to be.   Of course people trying to sell small, expensive condos will take advantage of this inaccurate perception.

Edited by heybruce

Sure, Nimmanhaemin Road has been destroyed and only caters to Chinese tourists now, but move towards Sirimangkalajarn and it's still got it, imho.

Also stay away from One Nimman. It sucks.

Edited by Bassosa
  • Like 1

I am not exactly seeing much of a problem, although I probably wasn't around during the time of 'old nimman'. I do notice there seems to be a rapid restaurant turnover here, but except for maybe Songkran, I haven't really had any bad experiences here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, atecom said:

I am not exactly seeing much of a problem, although I probably wasn't around during the time of 'old nimman'. I do notice there seems to be a rapid restaurant turnover here, but except for maybe Songkran, I haven't really had any bad experiences here.

In talking to Thai friends it is clear that Nimmanhamin, along with the rest of Chiang Mai, has seen massive changes in the last 30+ years. 

However in my opinion it was at its best in the years before the 2014 coup; when it was predominantly Thai but westerners were welcome (in most places) and one was spoiled for choice in bars and restaurants of all sizes.  Also, the most expensive places charged less for food and drink than the least expensive in the old city.  Most of these were open air places, and many had pretties.  It's getting difficult to find open air restaurants/bars and pretties around Nimmanhamin.

The coup certainly put a damper on things with the curfew, followed by rigid enforcement of a midnight closing.  However I think the primary problem is greed; most of the businesses lease the land they use, and when the leases run out the already high rents are increased to unaffordable levels.  It will be interesting to see how long the new, expensive, boring places will last.

• Like 1

I prefer Chinese tourists any day to Westerners. They are better dressed. behave better and don't get into fights and not covered with tattoos. Most of the Westerners come here for sex. I try to avoid them as much as possible.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, heybruce said:

In talking to Thai friends it is clear that Nimmanhamin, along with the rest of Chiang Mai, has seen massive changes in the last 30+ years. 

However in my opinion it was at its best in the years before the 2014 coup; when it was predominantly Thai but westerners were welcome (in most places) and one was spoiled for choice in bars and restaurants of all sizes.  Also, the most expensive places charged less for food and drink than the least expensive in the old city.  Most of these were open air places, and many had pretties.  It's getting difficult to find open air restaurants/bars and pretties around Nimmanhamin.

The coup certainly put a damper on things with the curfew, followed by rigid enforcement of a midnight closing.  However I think the primary problem is greed; most of the businesses lease the land they use, and when the leases run out the already high rents are increased to unaffordable levels.  It will be interesting to seeY how long the new, expensive, boring places will last.

Yes exactly, I recently heard a story of a well known restaurant in Nimman that had it's rent jacked up by 30%, and it was already 100k per month.

I've also heard that some landlords only accept 1-year leases (!) so they can control rent, ie. increase it. 

The questions is whether Nimman will ever run out of Latex pillow buyers. If it happens it will be a hard crash.

Personally I hardly ever visit Nimmanhaemin road. Wouldn't know why?

Edited by Bassosa

I prefer Chinese tourists any day to Westerners. They are better dressed. behave better and don't get into fights and not covered with tattoos. Most of the Westerners come here for sex. I try to avoid them as much as possible.

I hope they don't come for sex with you!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gamini said:

Totally agree, don't understand the dislike from miserable ex pats.

• Like 2

On 10/30/2018 at 6:18 PM, eyecatcher said:

Guide books and tourist websites!....you are still living in a bygone age.

even at my age I know that if you want to check out any city in the world, there are upto date instagrams, you tube guide reports, trip advisor and booking.com reviews, let alone the Chinese reporting back on own social webchat pages.

But make your minds up, are the Chinese tourists here or not. From my perspective of relying on them for income, these last three months have been dire! and I am not optimistic about this high season which generally should have started 10 days ago.

Well whatever your business is, good luck going forward, and thanks at last for some truth, vs the propaganda numbers the TAT release, which is only going to drive hardworking Thais and foreigners to the wall, if they rely on these fantasies created in BKKs Star Chamber. There are airline seats to spare in and out of Chiang Mai and Swampy International as of last week too. I flew the routes in a shuttle pattern on usually busy Friday and weekend nights. 

1 hour ago, ChakaKhan said:

Chinese?!!!   I would say the same for thais as long as u throw money at them....do go on!!!!!

Curious how you came to this conclusion!

Regardless of nationality. And it's got nothing to do with money. 

You just gotta look decent. Put on a smile. And talk to them. 

Came to this conclusion after doing it all the time. 

13 hours ago, heybruce said:

I prefer the places where most of the people are Thai, not tourists.

I have a condominium I rent out in Hill Park 1 bang on the road its quiet old but really nice and has Been traditionally hard to let, but with the Chinese coming units are getting refurbished and so are the common parts so good for me. Now easy to rent and has almost doubled in value over two years. I prefer the old town though myself and live out of town in any case.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

Regardless of nationality. And it's got nothing to do with money. 

You just gotta look decent. Put on a smile. And talk to them. 

Came to this conclusion after doing it all the time. 

Hmmmm..interesting...I do have a soft spot for the cute china dolls....(combs hair)

On 10/31/2018 at 3:25 PM, gamini said:

Just tell them you dont want to have sex with them.... easy no problem!

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, heybruce said:

Funny how topics about how Nimmanhamin has lost its appeal invariably, and quickly, degenerate into sex discussions.

Take a look at the TV demographic.....has been a tipic since the dawn of man......and will outlive us all...

Hence ladies night.....get the girls in, and the guys will  follow....

Take a walk around old town and see what happens when u pass a massage shop....in your face 24-7

On 10/31/2018 at 2:32 PM, heybruce said:

The coup certainly put a damper on things with the curfew, followed by rigid enforcement of a midnight closing.  However I think the primary problem is greed; most of the businesses lease the land they use, and when the leases run out the already high rents are increased to unaffordable levels.  It will be interesting to see how long the new, expensive, boring places will last.

Agree. There isn`t much now for western tourists and expats in Chiang Mai city. Virtually no nightlife and no zest left in the city. Nothing here to write about.

15 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Take a look at the TV demographic.....has been a tipic since the dawn of man......and will outlive us all...

Hence ladies night.....get the girls in, and the guys will  follow....

Take a walk around old town and see what happens when u pass a massage shop....in your face 24-7

Take a look at the topic title.  Is there anything about sex in the title?  Is there anything about Nimmanhamin in your post?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, heybruce said:

Take a look at the topic title.  Is there anything about sex in the title?  Is there anything about Nimmanhamin in your post?

Someone had posted about girls on Nimman being easy to "bed" I was curious as to why he said that.

He responded to me and I replied back as well...   If I had known you would have been so offended I would have put a warning for you to avoid any and all of my posts..and all the pearl clutching going on..

I can only imagine If you were to walk down Loy Kroh rd in the evening hours, lord have mercy!

I offer 1000 apologies and will report to the temple for my punishment and beg forgiveness, I forgot

how prostitution is illegal here and the topic we brought up simply does not exist anywhere in the LOS

My hope is only that our dear friendship wont be affected by pg rated comments on such a delicate thread

Where shall I report to for the public photo and finger pointing shaming for I have offended you so??

Ps...We were talking about girls on "Nimman"   go back and reread it....if you can handle it.....peace!

1 hour ago, ChakaKhan said:

Someone had posted about girls on Nimman being easy to "bed" I was curious as to why he said that.

He responded to me and I replied back as well...   If I had known you would have been so offended I would have put a warning for you to avoid any and all of my posts..and all the pearl clutching going on..

I can only imagine If you were to walk down Loy Kroh rd in the evening hours, lord have mercy!

I offer 1000 apologies and will report to the temple for my punishment and beg forgiveness, I forgot

how prostitution is illegal here and the topic we brought up simply does not exist anywhere in the LOS

My hope is only that our dear friendship wont be affected by pg rated comments on such a delicate thread

Where shall I report to for the public photo and finger pointing shaming for I have offended you so??

Ps...We were talking about girls on "Nimman"   go back and reread it....if you can handle it.....peace!

I counted four posts by you on this topic, not counting the above.  Three were about sex and/or Chinese women, one alluded to Chinese, some referred to the old city, none mentioned Nimmanhamin.

Had I known you would be so sensitive about my post pointing out that Nimmanhamin topics invariably lead to off-topic sex posts....I would have posted it anyway.

20 hours ago, heybruce said:

I counted four posts by you on this topic, not counting the above.  Three were about sex and/or Chinese women, one alluded to Chinese, some referred to the old city, none mentioned Nimmanhamin.

Had I known you would be so sensitive about my post pointing out that Nimmanhamin topics invariably lead to off-topic sex posts....I would have posted it anyway.

Of course you would have,,cos you're that kind of guy, who even had to butt into a chat I had with the OP who mentioned that the girls on Nimman(topic) were "easy to F..."  Was an A-B convo..can C ur way out ????

59 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

Of course you would have,,cos you're that kind of guy, who even had to butt into a chat I had with the OP who mentioned that the girls on Nimman(topic) were "easy to F..."  Was an A-B convo..can C ur way out ????

Your chat was not with the OP; he hasn't posted here since he started the topic.  Your chat was with another poster who made an off-topic sex post.

Also, open forums are not a good place for a private chat, especially a chat completely off-topic. 

Of course that doesn't stop you, cos your the kind of guy that has to enter discussions of no interest to him and try to make the topic about himself.

On 11/3/2018 at 12:04 AM, heybruce said:

Funny how topics about how Nimmanhamin has lost its appeal invariably, and quickly, degenerate into sex discussions.

Part of problem is the condo market is over saturated like the hotel GH market. Nimmanhamin has name pull and likely a whole bunch of empty condos, heh, but there are a lot better places to be had. Don't even need to bargain. Appear genuinely uninterested and they will drop 2k immediately, before you even start talking about price. 

Edited by LomSak27