Almost refused entry

7 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Did you  / will you have a Tourist Visa (from a consulate) or did you / will you be using a visa-exemption?

The law is quite clear, 20k or the equivalent in cash must be carried. And, just like back home, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

I'm sure you will be just fine, but it's always best to have your ducks in a row.

I had the visa from the swiss consulate, also have one now already for next month from the same consulate

2 minutes ago, Aerosolist said:

I didn't know that it was active already since that long. They should make such things clearer for all tourists. When i applied for the visa in the swiss consulat, nobody ever told me about this.

actually, the sign was up in 1998 at DM, and they weren't real happy that I had travellers cheques...and an open return...but let me in, anyway.  

1 minute ago, MekkOne said:

avoid ladies at the checkpoint...

I still got a crush on the IO at Maesai....damn near perfect...but I always had my ducks in a row..and I'll bet she is more like an SS Officer to some of the trash Packers.  And that place was just about ground zero for the visa runner crackdown.

58 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

Unlike other posters, you have my sympathy. Why shouldn't a guy with a good job and plenty of holiday time come here twice a year as a tourist? And surely the country should welcome him with open arms and be pleased. Why should a person in this day and age have a large amount of cash in his pocket? Many of these rules and regulations are just stupid and a decent immigration official should be able to spot a man of means and have the ability to check your funds. With a mindset to catch and deter people they are chasing away good visitors with their endless need for papers and documents. Good luck next time.

The funny thing is, when i left Thailand 2 months later, at the passport control, the lady (it was an other one of course) smiled, stamped, and said: I hope you enjoyed your stay in thailand, have a good flight... really very very friendly.

So it was totally the opposit.

Anyway, with the paperwork i totally agree, hopefully this will change in the next years.

46 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

The "show the money" is an old, antiquated requirement - never removed from the list when world-wide electronic banking came into being - now used as a faux-reason to deny-entry.   It's strange that ATMs exist airside on the way out, but not on the way-in, no?

Not really. The law is 38 years old, but they reaffirmed/announced confirmation of the requirement for 10K/20K in 2010.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, moontang said:

actually, the sign was up in 1998 at DM, and they weren't real happy that I had travellers cheques...and an open return...but let me in, anyway.  

That signs not much good to tourists that have just got to the airport

• Like 2

Just now, MARK74 said:

That signs not much good to tourists that have just got to the airport

Doesn't help people on the wrong side of the bridge in Myanmar,can't it is posted there, too.  Even saw some missionaries pass the money back through the fence.