What are the "Pro's & Con's" of living in Philippines?

Daveyh

I'm thinking of moving to the Phillipines within the next twelve months to retire. Any advice on the best areas to live, what I'll need & general info on expat life there. I'm ex military so have travelled ........... I'm looking for the quiet life now, so island living & a few home comforts would be welcome. Even a beach house would do & a boat for fishing etc. ..... but I'll not be going very far south there as that would be a little extreme. Cheers.

I'd direct the OP to take a look at a few of the videos posted by this fellow.

I've not heard anyone gush more about the PI than he does.    He likes the simple life and focuses on what he sees as a low cost life style.

If nothing else a look at one or two of his videos offers some  degree of entertainment.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, watcharacters said:

I'd direct the OP to take a look at a few of the videos posted by this fellow.

I've not heard anyone gush more about the PI than he does.    He likes the simple life and focuses on what he sees as a low cost life style.

If nothing else a look at one or two of his videos offers some  degree of entertainment.

He’s just a creepy old sex tourist....the only thing of interest to him for the Filipino girls is the pesos in his pocket...sex tourist that’s all

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, namatjira said:

creepy old sex tourist

I don't disagree with you that he seems to fit this bill, but my other comments however hold as well.    His videos can give some insight  to life for an expat in the Philippines.   

If one doesn't like it there's the free choice option to totally ignore it.

• Thanks 1

For me it seems too be not save enough. Armed securities in front of each shop with valuables. Many people have guns.

I don't like their food.

The only thing for tourism you can do is beach life or exploring the nature.

The Catholic Church has a very strong influence.

Edited by andre47
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

This topic should be preserved.....There have to be a dozen threads to this & they are not kindly to the PI......

I've spent a lot of time there & unless for a wedding or funeral to attend there's no compelling reason to step foot there again......

Too bad the topic isn't thumbnailed someplace......

I'm sure you are right about dozens of threads on the subject, but how about an update? I'm looking for something more positive & a recent up to date prior to going & having a look myself.

I've always used the "search" option on TV before raising a new topic ........ sadly it does not appear to work that well. <removed>........ but later found a thread where I could copy my posts. Are other members having this problem?? Cheers ..... 

20 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I agree many negative things are said about the Philippines and unfair to compare, one man's meat is another mans poison.

OP it will take you a whiles to find what suits you I would suggest starting with the most popular tourist areas first and go from there.

You say an island living & a few home comforts would be welcome and a beach house, well you have aprox 7,600 islands to pick from. ????

Thanks for your post............. where would you suggest? From what you say you know the area well?

On 10/31/2018 at 12:24 PM, KittenKong said:

ome things I dont like: Tax on worldwide income. Natural disasters. Poor infrastructure (largely due to the natural disasters). Rather boring local food. The Catholic church. Accommodation is often overpriced and often not very good. Less choice for international air travel.

Good summary..

2 hours ago, BobBKK said:

It's the 'Regional Forum : South East Asia Forum'  actually. 

One assumes those not interested in OTHER South East Asia countries would not read or comment here.

It's a regional sub-forum of a 100% Thai forum. Clearly most people who post on here will be much more likely to have strong connections with Thailand than with other countries in SE Asia.

The original post actually appeared in the "general" section anyway. It was moved later.

Edited by KittenKong
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, topt said:

For foreigners living there?

As far as I know, yes. They do have some dual-taxation agreements but I'm not aware that the RP has the blanket exemption for earnings not repatriated in the year they are received that Thailand has. I could easily be wrong though as the last I looked into it was about 10 years ago.

Edited by KittenKong

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

Sensibly priced wine would be a Godsend, I'm bored with paying 100% more for a bottle of something decent in Thailand than I would back home.

I'm surprised you can find it that cheap here. Or is "back home" an expensive place for wine also? (I think the US is expensive for wine, compared to Spain or France or Italy.)