Horrifying new footage shows moment Leicester owner’s helicopter leaves stadium before plummeting to the ground in fatal crash

webfact

DEATH SPIN 

Horrifying new footage shows moment Leicester owner’s helicopter leaves stadium before plummeting to the ground in fatal crash

New video, which The Sun has passed to investigators, shows Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha’s helicopter violently spinning before falling out of the sky at terrifying speed

By Rob Pattinson and Chloe Mayer

thesun.jpg

The helicopter taking off from the King Power Stadium pitch//The SUN

THE helicopter carrying Leicester City’s billionaire owner is seen in a new video moments before spinning fatally out of control.

The horrific clip shows it in the 37 seconds before it crashed in a fireball. The clip was leaked on social media. The Sun handed it to accident investigators.

Crucially, it captures the section of the flight not covered by CCTV and BT Sport cameras, which had previously emerged.

Aviation expert Jim Rowlands, a former RAF Puma crew member, said: “It is so shocking to see.

Full story: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7620935/leicester-helicopter-crash-footage-stadium-fatal-spin/

-- The SUN 2018-10-31

2 hours ago, chiman said:

Does anyone know why the copter started to spin?  Mechanical failure? 

The tail rotor is used to counter the rotating main rotor blades... if the tail rotor fails the inertia from the main blades will spin the helicopter in this fashion.

A helicopter has one option in a fall, it's called "auto-rotate" but with the spin in motion it cannot be applied.. hence the end result !

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

The tail rotor is used to counter the rotating main rotor blades... if the tail rotor fails the inertia from the main blades will spin the helicopter in this fashion.

A helicopter has one option in a fall, it's called "auto-rotate" but with the spin in motion it cannot be applied.. hence the end result !

It’s not the inertia of the main blades it is the opposing reaction force of engine power that drives the fuselage in the opposite direction to the blade rotation. The problem is that engine power has to be cut quickly to prevent the spin. In this case there was no forward momentum or height for the pilot to action this in time. Tragic but all over in 5 seconds. RIP

• Like 1

Yes, while I'm sure the pilot(s) were very experienced, I was always taught to build forward momentum before reaching 100 m (the minimum height for 100% fatality in the event of failure to gain auto-gyration, even if it meant a sort of looping spiral out of the stadium. But maybe there were compelling safety reasons for the straight up/down manouvere.

It look like mechanical failure. God bless the victims and RIP.

No question about it. This was a tail rotor failure.

There was a similar accident in North Wales when an RAF Wessex crashed into a lake back in 1993.

That was also attributed to the same failure. See:

Vertical flight up a few feet to check systems working then up to clear the height of the stadium. Point the nose down and at the same time power up. At this moment it seems the rear blade lost drive (perhaps the drive shaft from the gearbox) no rear counter thrust into a spin and imposible for the pilot to control.

4 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

I am far from an expert but does the tail rotor prevent the spinning, if so it may seem this fails.....

I'm no expert either but my guess is tail rotor malfunction causing autorotation of the chopper as a possible cause (either fully or partly) for the crash.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lupatria said:

I maybe wrong but at 0:52 to me it looks like a part or the whole rear rotor fell off.

Saw on ThaiPBS they were discussing the possiblity of rear rotor being disabled after hitting a drone. Appears to be in line with your observation.

There could have been a paparazzi drone in the air trying to take video of people inside, or a drone could have been sent there for some other reason...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lupatria said:

I maybe wrong but at 0:52 to me it looks like a part or the whole rear rotor fell off.

I think that you are absolutely right. A component of some sort can be clearly seen flying off from the tail, near the rear rotor assembly. I saw this before I even read this comment. RIP to all involved.

• Thanks 1

Very Sad.

Thank Heavens it did not happen in Thailand...... or the posters on here would have had a field day,

Bad maintenance blah blah blah  only in Thailand blah blah

Maybe you are right. I think the big difference is there will be a real, honest and transparent investigation into this crash. If someone is to blame then it will be so. 

After such a tragic waste of life this is how it should be of course.

I know nothing about this guy, except he owns King Power duty free, but by all accounts he was loved by the fans and the players. Terrrible loss for everyone.

RIP

2 hours ago, doodle said:

I think that you are absolutely right. A component of some sort can be clearly seen flying off from the tail, near the rear rotor assembly. I saw this before I even read this comment. RIP to all involved.

It is clear that something happened to the tail rotor and that is noted in the video by the red circle, etc.  I'm sure this will be a valuable piece of evidence for the investigators.  This piece will likely have fallen free from the helicopter wreckage itself and hopefully will lead investigators to find the cause.  Certainly a sad ending for these victims.

35 minutes ago, Different said:

Stupid pilot didn't fully inspect before coming to stadium, you can notice he couldn't throttle forward to fly.  Instead he kept raising up and stalled.

you've not been in many helicopters then .............

it's not a throttle it's the cyclic and if he had pushed the stick forward early he would have flown into a stand at high speed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1