Changing from Retired to spouse long stay in Chonburi

At first glance this is all obvious stuff but there are reasons for asking these questions.

I am particularly hoping for some response from Ubon Joe, whose immigration advice I regard highly.

I have been on a retirement extension here, for a number of years based on income, not money in the bank here.

I live in the northern part of Chonburi and have always dealt with Sri Racha branch of Chonburi Immigration.  I have never even been to the Jomtien office. With only one tiny exception my dealings with Sri Racha  have always been cordial and efficient.  That one exception is now past history and not relevant here. 

Due to a partial property sale, I will soon end up with a bit more available cash overseas but less income than the 65,000 B a month required to sustain a retirement visa.  Last year for the first time I did a combination income and bank balance extension.  I went down with the intention of changing to spouse/marriage (for various personal reasons) and had an income letter but discovered that Sri Racha office doesn’t encourage “spouse” long stay extensions.  Let’s re-phrase that!  They seem to actively discourage them!  I ended up coming out with a retirement extension again.

I will try to avoid most details here but anyone who has lived in L.O.S. for a while will be familiar with local offices having different rules or even different from what the Government website says.  I am considering changing to Jomtien office from now on and for next year when I do my extension of stay.  I leave Thailand in December for a while and so have only one more 90 day report before April 2019, around the time that my long stay is due for renewal.

(1)  Is there any reason why I cannot simply visit Jomtien instead of Sri Racha for my next 90 day report?  Will they mind that I am a long term Sri Racha “client”?  Do I have the freedom of choice of using either office in my province? (Forget the one on the Island. I am not considering that.)

(2)  Has anyone else found Jomtien more amenable to spouse long stay extensions (than Sri Racha)?  Do Jomtien do home visits anywhere in Chonburi because that could be a sticking point?  If not, or because I live too far north, (i.e. much closer to Sri Racha who apparently do not do home visits).  I could be referred back to Sri Racha and be facing the same brick wall again. 
I was thinking of going to Jomtien next month and politely (naively??) asking for a list of current requirements for changing to a spouse extension there. 

(3)  Does anyone have any relevant experiences or useful advice?

One last bit of advice; re work permits:  A spousal visa can with discretion, allow a work permit.  The rules changed recently regarding jobs forbidden to non Thais.  My wife is considering a change of business direction. How do the new rules apply to a Farang working in his wife’s company or acting as a consultant to the company his wife co-owns or works in?

#1 - I don't know.  The offices have a "service area" but not sure of overlap in this case.
#2 - Jomtien family-desk is no picnic.  Do not confuse with the generally-relaxed (so far) retirement-desk.  If you own your own condo, it is much easier, but expect 2, 3, or more trips where they continually add more "needed documents" / pictures, etc.  They want agent-submitted applications at that desk in that office - and doing this might get rid of all other issues (out-of-area, home-visit, bringing a witness, etc).

#3 - Was a nightmare for me and my wife - got stuck with more and more "landlord docs" until it was impossible, and rude to my wife too boot.  This is why I say if you own your condo it might be easier.

Hopefully UJ will be along to give an answer on #1.

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you are not living in one of these districts. Pattaya District, Banglamung District and Sattahip District you have to use the Si Racha officeThose are the designated districts for Chonburi immigration. 

I live in Sri Racha district and gave up using the difficult Sri Racha Immigration Office 2 years ago. Went to Jomtien Immigration Office. I always gave my Sri Racha address. Everything was processed without a mention of the Sri Racha Office. I don't know if that applies to Retirement and Marriage Extensions though.

2 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

I don't know if that applies to Retirement and Marriage Extensions though.

I certain it applies for an extension based upon marriage since the they are very strict on proof of residence and there may be a home visit involved.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

If you are not living in one of these districts. Pattaya District, Banglamung District and Sattahip District you have to use the Si Racha officeThose are the designated districts for Chonburi immigration. 

That is no true Joe.

I've always lived in Chonburi city (which is north of Sri Racha) and have always done my extensions in Pattaya, for many years now. At the same time, I've always done my 90-day, reports in Sri Racha.

Like the OP, I originally had issues with Sri Racha when I enquired there about my first extension (based on marriage) and they refused to entertain it because I had more than enough income to qualify for a retirement extension. Asking around, I was told Sri Racha took that line because Marriage extensions involved a lot more work for them so they could be very difficult on a whole range of things if you question their 'advice'.

So, although I ended up getting a retirement extension I went to Jomtien for it and have done all my extensions there since. And yes, I've believe Jomtien to be more amenable. I've always done my 90 reports, re-entry permits etc in Sri Racha because of convenience though. Nobody has ever questioned me using two different offices. About two years ago Sri Racha stopped issuing residence permits and instructed everybody that applied they must go to Jomtien in future. They told my mate that Jomtien was the main office with Sri Racha only being a sub office and Jomtien was responsible for what they could/couldn't do.

I have one friend in Bang Saen who's got a marriage extension and a couple of friends in Chonburi with retirement extensions and we all do to Jomtien without any problems.they told me 'none whatsoever', as long as I 'qualified. 

Just one more piece of info on TM30's concerning the two offices.

It's been well documented by some people on this forum that, for short term exits from Thailand you don't need to complete a TM30 on your return, while one or two have said they've been fined.

I went to the UK for a month in June and, because I do my 90 day reports and re-entry permits in Sri Racha I didn't want any future problems so I took a TM30 to Sri Racha on my return. Not only did they confirm it was necessary, they were fining many people in the queue for 'late submission' (more than 24 hours). And that still applies today because a friend was fined 800 baht a few days ago. His TM30 was missing, he said it was lost but they said, according to their records, he'd never completed one in the past. Less hassle just to accept the fine he said afterwards.

Edited by sumrit

11 hours ago, sumrit said:

About two years ago Sri Racha stopped issuing residence permits and instructed everybody that applied they must go to Jomtien in future.

Yes, correct.

The last time (maybe, ever) I visited Sri Racha Immigration was for a certificate of residence. "You go Bang Lamung [i.e. Jomtien Immigration]," was the reply from the bloke who used to charge you 500 Baht for them until he was ordered to stop profiteering allegedly.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2018 at 7:51 PM, sumrit said:

That is no true Joe.

I've always lived in Chonburi city (which is north of Sri Racha) and have always done my extensions in Pattaya, for many years now. At the same time, I've always done my 90-day, reports in Sri Racha.

Like the OP, I originally had issues with Sri Racha when I enquired there about my first extension (based on marriage) and they refused to entertain it because I had more than enough income to qualify for a retirement extension. Asking around, I was told Sri Racha took that line because Marriage extensions involved a lot more work for them so they could be very difficult on a whole range of things if you question their 'advice'.

So, although I ended up getting a retirement extension I went to Jomtien for it and have done all my extensions there since. And yes, I've believe Jomtien to be more amenable. I've always done my 90 reports, re-entry permits etc in Sri Racha because of convenience though. Nobody has ever questioned me using two different offices. About two years ago Sri Racha stopped issuing residence permits and instructed everybody that applied they must go to Jomtien in future. They told my mate that Jomtien was the main office with Sri Racha only being a sub office and Jomtien was responsible for what they could/couldn't do.

I have one friend in Bang Saen who's got a marriage extension and a couple of friends in Chonburi with retirement extensions and we all do to Jomtien without any problems.they told me 'none whatsoever', as long as I 'qualified. 

Just one more piece of info on TM30's concerning the two offices.

It's been well documented by some people on this forum that, for short term exits from Thailand you don't need to complete a TM30 on your return, while one or two have said they've been fined.

I went to the UK for a month in June and, because I do my 90 day reports and re-entry permits in Sri Racha I didn't want any future problems so I took a TM30 to Sri Racha on my return. Not only did they confirm it was necessary, they were fining many people in the queue for 'late submission' (more than 24 hours). And that still applies today because a friend was fined 800 baht a few days ago. His TM30 was missing, he said it was lost but they said, according to their records, he'd never completed one in the past. Less hassle just to accept the fine he said afterwards.

Well you pretty much confirmed my experiences and fears on this.   I was not happy to see Jack Thompsons comments about Marriage extensions.    At Sri Racha last time, I was told they do not do home visits so I have to bring my two referees to the office on the day I apply for my extension and they have to be prepared to sit around for as long as it takes for them to get round to interviewing them, and hopefully (we were told) that they will find time, that day!!!    The list of instructions they supply for the Falang on Marriage extension IS IN THAI!!!!!!!   To put it plainly they told me very firmly that I might find doing a marriage extension "just too much trouble" and "might find it easier" to continue with retirement, "like everyone else does."  They have made it abundantly clear that there, it will be difficult, verging on impossible, to do marriage extensions as they are too busy and find retirement extensions less work for them.  When I inquired about doing a marriage extension I was sarcastically asked if it was all about money?  I replied "Yes, apparently it is all about money.  Thailand wants 800,000THB in the bank here, not 400,000."   She just smiled and said "Stick with the retirement extension.  You will find it easier."

I have a 90 day to do at end of this month.  I will go with the wife to Jomtien and while we are there, get her to ask about how we go about doing a marriage extension and see what they say, and if they have an instruction sheet of requirements!!

Re TM30's; I have offered them to Sri Racha on several occasions.  They accepted only one, the first time I came to live here.  Even after just returning from overseas ( a year or two ago) I presented one and they refused it, asking, "Why?  Have you moved?"

Edited by The Deerhunter

On 11/2/2018 at 7:17 AM, Briggsy said:

Yes, correct.

The last time (maybe, ever) I visited Sri Racha Immigration was for a certificate of residence. "You go Bang Lamung [i.e. Jomtien Immigration]," was the reply from the bloke who used to charge you 500 Baht for them until he was ordered to stop profiteering allegedly.

Ah, so you met him too!!!!  I think he and his mate are both gone now.

On 11/4/2018 at 4:32 AM, The Deerhunter said:

Ah, so you met him too!!!!  I think he and his mate are both gone now.

I think they've just moved to the 'TM30' office out the back where they're extremely busy fining people for presenting their TM30's late. They took an absolute fortune when I went there recently. 

On 11/4/2018 at 4:29 AM, The Deerhunter said:

Well you pretty much confirmed my experiences and fears on this.   I was not happy to see Jack Thompsons comments about Marriage extensions.    At Sri Racha last time, I was told they do not do home visits so I have to bring my two referees to the office on the day I apply for my extension and they have to be prepared to sit around for as long as it takes for them to get round to interviewing them, and hopefully (we were told) that they will find time, that day!!!    The list of instructions they supply for the Falang on Marriage extension IS IN THAI!!!!!!!   To put it plainly they told me very firmly that I might find doing a marriage extension "just too much trouble" and "might find it easier" to continue with retirement, "like everyone else does."  They have made it abundantly clear that there, it will be difficult, verging on impossible, to do marriage extensions as they are too busy and find retirement extensions less work for them.  When I inquired about doing a marriage extension I was sarcastically asked if it was all about money?  I replied "Yes, apparently it is all about money.  Thailand wants 800,000THB in the bank here, not 400,000."   She just smiled and said "Stick with the retirement extension.  You will find it easier."

Doesn't appear to augur too well, then, for Brit, Aussie and American Sri Rachans who may well have no choice in practice other than to switch from retirement based on 65k monthly income to marriage based on 400k in the bank, thanks to their embassies' decisions to withdraw their income verification services!

2 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Doesn't appear to augur too well, then, for Brit, Aussie and American Sri Rachans who may well have no choice in practice other than to switch from retirement based on 65k monthly income to marriage based on 400k in the bank, thanks to their embassies' decisions to withdraw their income verification services!

Although Sri Racha is much closer to me, I have always done my extensions at Jomtien (using the income option) and never had a problem, just using Sri Racha for more straightforward things like 90-day reports, re-entry permits, TM30's, etc.

If Sri Racha continues to refuse/be very difficult when presented with an extension based on marriage, or worse still a 'possible proof of income option' (if a different system becomes available), I can see Jomtien's workload increasing with people wanting to use their office instead.

Hopefully, that won't lead to the two offices having strict boundaries as to which office we can use.

i object strongly to those comments implying that desk no. 6 marriage ext. jomtien poses a problem to any applicant. the problems are arising for applicants dont have their application docs in order or fund seasoning. docs list marriage ext. requested by the immi can be obtained in thai and english at the front desk.

wbr

roobaa01

2 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

i object strongly to those comments implying that desk no. 6 marriage ext. jomtien poses a problem to any applicant. the problems are arising for applicants dont have their application docs in order or fund seasoning. docs list marriage ext. requested by the immi can be obtained in thai and english at the front desk.

wbr

roobaa01 

I don't think anybody here has complained about marriage extensions in Jomtien. I always use them.

Our issues/problems are with obtaining marriage extensions in SRI RACHA. 

As far as I am aware Jomtien has always been efficient and easy to use. Go back and read the thread again please.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sumrit said:

I don't think anybody here has complained about marriage extensions in Jomtien. I always use them.

As far as I am aware Jomtien has always been efficient and easy to use. Go back and read the thread again please.

Maybe you missed post #2.

3 minutes ago, sumrit said:

when u have the docs list from jomtien and 400k seasoned in the bank, then there will be no problem in sri racha immi with yr marriage ext. wbr roobaa01

1 minute ago, roobaa01 said:

when u have the docs list from jomtien and 400k seasoned in the bank, then there will be no problem in sri racha immi with yr marriage ext. wbr roobaa01

Do you have any personal experience with Sri Racha Immigration?

5 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Do you have any personal experience with Sri Racha Immigration?

three times with different fellow country mates to help em file their app.

three times ea compiled the papers acc. to jomtien list and were given a pass.

wbr

roobaa01 

49 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Exactly.  I am not there yet with my embassy but could soon could be.   But you have to wonder.......  How many times the embassies of some of these have guys and been annoyed to see likely B.S. Statutory declarations and a few months later the guy needs help with an air fare home to throw himself on his countries health system because he has no money here.   I do not agree with this situation because guys with profitable rental portfolios or large share holdings with annual or quarterly dividend yields  might well have the income required over the course of a year but not shown the way a public servant wants to see it.   And might not want to sell something to stick 800k THB in a bank here for nought.  It is going to become quite difficult for some.   And we have heard nothing from  the Thai govt about how they will decide on someone's future if the embassy changes the rules.  With apologies to Neil Armstrong: It is one small step for embassies to not provide letters and one giant step for the Thai govt to come up with a fair and equitable system of deciding if one's income is genuine or not.  Very troubling situation for many.

7 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

three times with different fellow country mates to help em file their app.

three times ea compiled the papers acc. to jomtien list and were given a pass.

wbr

roobaa01 

Sounds encouraging.  Hopefully the Jomtien list is in English.  unlike the other one.  I live in Chonburi province, way closer to Chacheongsao than Pattaya.  Over an hour.  Will either do home visit.?   Did your friends get a home visit or did they have to take their referee/witnesses there.

2 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

Sounds encouraging.  Hopefully the Jomtien list is in English.  unlike the other one.  I live in Chonburi province, way closer to Chacheongsao than Pattaya.  Over an hour.  Will either do home visit.?   Did your friends get a home visit or did they have to take their referee/witnesses there.

but taking a local witness usually avoids that

can happen . wbr roobaa01

25 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

No I didn't.  I even quoted him by name in my re-post #12.  Maybe getting an agent is the answer, but that new head of Immigration is hammering down on agents.  I am a few months away yet but that Thai bank money needs to be correctly seasoned so one has to get one's ducks in a row.  I have to be sure damned soon that whatever I choose is definitely going to work on that day.  So, as i have said,  I will do a 90 day there soon and inquire about how it is to be done and ask about their list.   If I comply with the list given by the senior office, the sub office should fall into line.  But I do not live in Bangsaen or Chonburi I am an hour north from there and I worry about home visits and referees.

4 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

No I didn't.  I even quoted him by name in my re-post #12.  Maybe getting an agent is the answer, but that new head of Immigration is hammering down on agents.  I am a few months away yet but that Thai bank money needs to be correctly seasoned so one has to get one's ducks in a row.  I have to be sure damned soon that whatever I choose is definitely going to work on that day.  So, as i have said,  I will do a 90 day there soon and inquire about how it is to be done and ask about their list.   If I comply with the list given by the senior office, the sub office should fall into line.  But I do not live in Bangsaen or Chonburi I am an hour north from there and I worry about home visits and referees.

I was replying to Sumrit.

4 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

but taking a local witness usually avoids that

can happen . wbr roobaa01

When you say local witness?????  They mean local to where I live so they can be told by the witness that my marriage and domestic arrangements are kosher.  By local I think you mean someone that lives local to the office to make it easier for them, to go and visit or shorter travel for the witness which kinda defeats the purpose of the witness if he doesn't know me in my home environment.   Most people up here could not sacrifice an entire day sitting in a car and office waiting to be interviewed, even if i paid them and bought them a nice lunch.  And family who would know and could spend a day, are debarred.   Drag the local Abbott down?

37 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

But not if you want to use the income option in Sri Racha.

They refused me a marriage extension because I had enough income to qualify for a retirement extension. That's always been their policy in Sri Racha and happened to several people I know as well.

A German friend, who lived in Sri Racha, was quite friendly with two IO's in Sri Racha who 'made him aware' when some things could be a problem at certain times there but, because (income based) marriage extensions couldn't be completed on the same day, they told him to go to Jomtien.

57 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

No, I didn't. But that's just one single post by somebody who appears to have had a problem because his accommodation documents were incomplete. That could/would happen with incomplete documentation in any Immigration office.

8 minutes ago, sumrit said:

But not if you want to use the income option in Sri Racha.

They refused me a marriage extension because I had enough income to qualify for a retirement extension. That's always been their policy in Sri Racha and happened to several people I know as well.

A German friend, who lived in Sri Racha, was quite friendly with two IO's in Sri Racha who 'made him aware' when some things could be a problem at certain times there but, because (income based) marriage extensions couldn't be completed on the same day, they told him to go to Jomtien.

always generate the application for the immi officer as easy as possible to be successfull, thus 400 k in a fixed deposit.

wbr

roobaa01

Just now, roobaa01 said:

always generate the application for the immi officer as easy as possible to be successfull, thus 400 k in a fixed deposit.

wbr

roobaa01

Not everybody has a spare 400k baht available. That's why some people have used the income method successfully for many years at Jomtien (over fifteen years in my case)

3 hours ago, sumrit said:

There actually was a reply on that subject matter.  Paragraph 2 of post 2.  But yes, with that exception. the problems being reported are overwhelmingly with Sri Racha

Edited by The Deerhunter