Cost of Living in Thailand: Save money? You're having a laugh!

snoop1130

22 minutes ago, rott said:

So is this to indicate that somewhere in Issan there are places at a monthly. rental of 1400 baht?

SanSai 12Km from the center of Chiang Mai, 2x 7-11 within 200m. Modern block, covered car park, swimming pool next door. The big disadvantage is most of the rooms are taken by 20-year-old female university students.

1400_2.jpg

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

SanSai 12Km from the center of Chiang Mai, 2x 7-11 within 200m. Modern block, covered car park, swimming pool next door. The big disadvantage is most of the rooms are taken by 20-year-old female university students.

1400_2.jpg

Yes I hate that too. So basically not many plus points then, never mind, chin up the cool weather is nearly here. ????

On 11/3/2018 at 7:08 AM, BritManToo said:

Never met any Thai that doesn't have a family farm they can go and live on.

Food grows all year round in Thailand, life never gets that hard.

And if you don't know how to forage, any temple will feed you.

Yes folks in other countries have families too

What I am saying is other countries like the US have major safety nets

Other countries have soup kitchens same as the WAT's you  describe but...

Ever see what foraging in the US looks like? Fat folks at Walmart ????because US gives 3-600USD per  month EBT/Food Stamps...That is 10-20,000 Thai Baht & that is just the start with food.

Life never gets  that hard in Thailand??? I know your not that new to Thailand

Go watch govt 30 baht health folks die slow without comforts of painkillers etc

Yeah sorry no comparison

Life not hard in Thailand? 555
Elderly

...if they can still swallow...do not just need food

Many will miss the larger picture as such applies to traditional familial and social extensions, in which are steadfast within traditional cultures and seemingly are vacant throughout the "developed" and "civilised" world. 

A sense of well being and connections.

13 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Of course the contributors are mostly foreigners, it's not a Thai web site written in Thai, what else would you expect!

Look, if you want to ignore the numbers, be my guest - if you think the numbers are too high and that you know of cheaper prices (which from the sounds of things you probably do since you know of thousands of 30 baht restaurant), ignore them. What you can't ignore however is that the link was provided to demonstrate that the cost of living in Thailand varies based on location, Nakon Nowhere being the cheapest, the CBD in Bangkok probably being the highest, cost of living is, therefore, a variable based on location. Yes, a loaf of farmhouse costs the same blah blah blah, that doesn't change the fact that one location is more expensive than another based on rents, cost per square metre, salaries and availability. So yes, those numbers do represent actual values, they just don't represent the absolute cheapest values which is what you want to see in order to meet the average income of the impoverished in your poorest village!

Duh, you don't need a website to show that living costs differ by region. That was not my comment. You like to change words and twist what people actually reply to you. I see this in several posts from you, so I will stop discussing anything with you.

4 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Less than 2% of the population pays taxes through PAYE, that suggests that the ratio of people earning 10k to CEO's is more like 100,000:1 which doesn't really change the average much at all!

Enough of this, if you have proof or a link to support your argument that the average wage is much lower, post it, otherwise leave it alone because it's getting tiresome and boring.

How do you prove a negative? What you don't seem to understand is that if the data on much lower wages is not collected by official sources, it doesn't appear in the official statistics, and there are no links to it. Are you always this immune to basic logic?

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

1400_2.jpg

You're surrounded by 20 yo female university students, and you're complaining?

Let me know if you want to swap.

On 11/2/2018 at 4:36 AM, ZeVonderBearz said:

Yeah but it's impossible to live in Thailand on less then 40k a month, so no wonder they can't save. I read this on TV often. Where are the Thais mentioned in this article getting their fix of premium import beer and superior western food from?

Why is it impossible to live in Thailand on less than 40,000 baht per month. My wife and I live on around 20,000 to 25,000 a month with no difficulties. And we save about 5-10,000 a month. 

40 minutes ago, WinterGael said:

Why is it impossible to live in Thailand on less than 40,000 baht per month. My wife and I live on around 20,000 to 25,000 a month with no difficulties. And we save about 5-10,000 a month. 

He's being ironic.

8 hours ago, Lacessit said:

How do you prove a negative? What you don't seem to understand is that if the data on much lower wages is not collected by official sources, it doesn't appear in the official statistics, and there are no links to it. Are you always this immune to basic logic?

I chose to accept the numbers, you don't. You have a beef with the way various organisations develop and report these numbers, take it up with them and stop trying to bait me, we're done.

9 hours ago, Cheops said:

Duh, you don't need a website to show that living costs differ by region. That was not my comment. You like to change words and twist what people actually reply to you. I see this in several posts from you, so I will stop discussing anything with you.

:passifier:

42 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I chose to accept the numbers, you don't. You have a beef with the way various organisations develop and report these numbers, take it up with them and stop trying to bait me, we're done.

I am not trying to bait you. I agree we are done.

9 hours ago, WinterGael said:

Sorry,  many successful people who made a plan would be embarassed to boast about those numbers.

Depends on the life one desires, especially in their golden years.

Your monthly is less then my golf expense for the month. Add travel a nice modern place to live and quality food and general quality lifestyle, 120k is about right.

But, certainly nice that you seem happy and proud.

30 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Sorry,  many successful people who made a plan would be embarassed to boast about those numbers.

Your monthly is less then my golf expense for the month. Add travel a nice modern place to live and quality food and general quality lifestyle, 120k is about right.

I would spend around 140k a month when I first moved here sixteen years ago, after a few years I woke up and realised that doing so was a complete waste and totally unnecessary, Today I spend around 55k a month and I have the same quality of life and eat the same quality food as I did sixteen years ago....you will get there also at some point.

On 11/2/2018 at 6:20 PM, snoop1130 said:

This averaged out at about 1,500 baht among those that saved anything.

That is less than US$50.00

On 11/2/2018 at 7:00 PM, Stocky said:

In a nutshell that's the global problem.

Exacerbated by social media "look what I've got!" - creating a never ending circle of consumption and envy. 

That sums it up nicely!

I have a cousin of my wife helping us at home, we pay her very little but she has everything she needs at home, she has tree mobiles phones, one cost about 20K!!!!.... my only phone cost no more then 5k... and I dont even want to begging to mention about my wifes parents! who dont even work.....

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Not only beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Your post makes clear (for any that didn't already realize it) that "success" and "quality" are also in the eye of the beholder.

I don't play golf and have no desire to.

"...quality food...".

I'm vegan. I love Thai food. My favorite restaurant in Chiang Mai charges `80 to 120ish for delicious food which I am missing now that I'm back in the US. And it is high quality food.  Although I feel that to you "high quality" means expensive.

I looked at a menu for an expensive (absurdly overpriced imo)  restaurant in Chiang Mai that a friend mentioned "everyone is talking about" and there's nothing there for me to eat.

My golf expense is zero and my food cost is in line with Thai restaurant prices. Obviously I'm unsuccessful, or I'd be teeing it up right now.

And denigrating others on TVF due to my spending habits (which of course equal success).

16 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

My golf expense is zero and my food cost is in line with Thai restaurant prices. Obviously I'm unsuccessful, or I'd be teeing it up right now.

You said it not me.

Sorry you are stuck in that situation.

If you want to play sometime send me a PM.

I may be able to get you the guest rate.

Take care...

10 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Isn’t it awesome being able to boast about how wealthy you are to complete strangers on the internet!  Baller for sure!

5 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Isn’t it awesome being able to boast about how wealthy you are to complete strangers on the internet!  Baller for sure!

Second only to being able to boast knowledge of the location of every 30 baht restaurant in Bangkok, such things don't come easily.

3 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Second only to being able to boast knowledge of the location of every 30 baht restaurant in Bangkok, such things don't come easily.

In the end, such threads of this nature and subsequent comparative/superlative discussions rely on fabricated standards to abide by. 

No such beast as an absolute, in such cases. 

Every situation, lifestyle, comfort zone, moral clauses will differ greatly one from the next - less attempting to create a convention of what anyone's reflective well being might be. 

Almost irreverent.

On 11/3/2018 at 8:59 AM, manarak said:

lol, I think I pay about 900 baht annually for cable tv.

True Vision is the only nationwide Cable TV distributor. There is a B900 plan without international news except for free BBC. If you want the full load with movies it is B2792. Thai TV is free.

23 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

In the end, such threads of this nature and subsequent comparative/superlative discussions rely on fabricated standards to abide by. 

No such beast as an absolute, in such cases. 

Every situation, lifestyle, comfort zone, moral clauses will differ greatly one from the next - less attempting to create a convention of what anyone's reflective well being might be. 

Almost irreverent.

You've been reading Plato, we can tell! ????

29 minutes ago, DonaldBattles said:

True Vision is the only nationwide Cable TV distributor. There is a B900 plan without international news except for free BBC. If you want the full load with movies it is B2792. Thai TV is free.

What about 3bb and AIS?  They have fiber optic cables is that not cable?

7 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

You've been reading Plato, we can tell! ????

Greek version = the one form of sameness and difference that is relevant to the particular ways of life

Thai version of Plato = same same but different !  :cheesy:

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

What about 3bb and AIS?  They have fiber optic cables is that not cable?

I stand corrected. I had 3BB before but have not had AIS cable. Anyone have experience on the AIS Cable and how many channels you get? Not sure if these are cable TV now. When I had 3bb it for internet only. Do they broadcast news and movies?

Archived