Im trying to get used to no A/con any tips

georgegeorgia

Just now, HAKAPALITA said:

And they find oppinions not as theirs wrong. and all the other family must suffer because of their financial failing. I have some nice friends who just say it costs too much,not bullshit a reason. There are genuine anti, but not many.

It isn't a question of being anti. I agree that some avoid a/c as they can't afford it. Others see the rural Thais are still alive after centuries of AC free existence, so they make the effort to acclimatise.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Now that we do have our own nice new unit I carry out the service as I outlined above monthly. When it comes to the choice between putting up with the short term inconvenience of a smelly disinfecting agent in the room and breathing in air that emerges from a neglected unit, I'll choose the former any day.

You are, of course, free to make your own choice. If you can't find the spray I recommended in the stores near you, it's available on-line from Lazada.

Dont get the wrong idea. I have my aircon dismantled and cleaned by "technicians" about 2-3 times a year, and inevitably there is a great deal of black crud that comes out as you mention. But I also like to squirt something into the cage fan every week, just to try and keep the mould at bay. If I dont do that then the fan can clog up within three months of use, requiring full dismantling and cleaning.

The vinegar solution I usually use works, but it smells of fish and chips. The anti-mould spray also works and is very strong, but the smell is only temporary and I can easily do it just before going out as I described. So either way I would be happy to add a third string to my bow and your spray might be it. As we both live in Pattaya the stores near me will be the same as the ones near you, hence my question. I probably just need to look harder or in the right aisle.

• Like 1

Just noticed you're looking for tips,

In April and May, buy a deep inflatable pool (1,400 on Lazada complete with pump) and fill it with water. I have the ice truck deliver a couple of Titanic size icebergs and slip them in at about 6am. That's you sorted for a few days.

42 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Dont get the wrong idea. I have my aircon dismantled and cleaned by "technicians" about 2-3 times a year, and inevitably there is a great deal of black crud that comes out as you mention. But I also like to squirt something into the cage fan every week, just to try and keep the mould at bay. If I dont do that then the fan can clog up within three months of use, requiring full dismantling and cleaning.

The vinegar solution I usually use works, but it smells of fish and chips. The anti-mould spray also works and is very strong, but the smell is only temporary and I can easily do it just before going out as I described. So either way I would be happy to add a third string to my bow and your spray might be it. As we both live in Pattaya the stores near me will be the same as the ones near you, hence my question. I probably just need to look harder or in the right aisle.

Sorry, I don't recall saying that I live Pattaya. I'm actually up in Sakon Nakhon. Not to worry, I'm sure that any of the proprietary sprays will be equally effective in keeping the mould at bay. And that's what you need to do. The mould creates the perfect breeding ground for pathogens to start a colony.

Having warned my wife first, (very important!) I remove and clean the filters, spray the cage fan and the coil and leave for 10 mins as prescribed. Then reassemble, switch it back on and go for my daily constitutional walk.

By the evening there is only a slight lingering smell, which I'm sure is not in the least bit harmful. Certainly less so than neglecting the unit. During the recent hot, humid spell, there was a noticeable improvement in performance following the mini service, so it is well worth doing.

Good luck and take care.

ML

• Like 1

5 hours ago, geronimo said:
5 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

I find the No Aircon Bums are first out the Taxi,  Last to the Bar, and say they love Thai Food.

and if anyone's a bum, it's the guy who can't keep cool without some a/c

you both crossed a line using the expression "bum". having said so i claim that in most cases the real reason of rejecting the comfort of airconditioning in a tropical country (or heating in a cold country) are financial limitations and not the reasons pulled by some out of thin air whilst poking their noses.

i like honest comments such as "lower electricity bill means more beer!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Sorry, I don't recall saying that I live Pattaya. I'm actually up in Sakon Nakhon.

LOL. Wrong moon! Sorry. There's another board member whose screen name is Moonseeker, and who does live in Pattaya.

I will look closer in the BigCs here. Edit: found it for 219B delivered on Lazada.

Edited by KittenKong
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Naam said:

you both crossed a line using the expression "bum". having said so i claim that in most cases the real reason of rejecting the comfort of airconditioning in a tropical country (or heating in a cold country) are financial limitations and not the reasons pulled by some out of thin air whilst poking their noses.

i like honest comments such as "lower electricity bill means more beer!"

I like honest comments like Bums..Have you never heard one, sitting behind You decrying Air Cons and turned round. There he is.!

10 hours ago, geronimo said:

Yes it is. I have been living here for 35 years and have two grown sons who have never had A/C at home.

Fans work, plus a lot of determination.

Good luck in your efforts to stay cool bro!

Nice to see that they have been lucky to have choice ! ❤️