Mother Nature And Farming

Somtham

It has not rained one drop here in KPP since the end of last November. Yesterday at about 4 in the afternoon a storm blew through here with winds having the speed of a small hurricane. All of the makua plants and half the chile plants we've been working on are now prone. Don't know if they'll make a comeback.

The winds tore off a half dozen roof panels on the house and flooded 4 rooms a couple inches. The roof covering the feed storage shed and 3 concrete ponds was completely blown off including half the 2 x 6's x 5 meters long boards and deposited them in the neighbors property. Some complete 4m x 6m panels as far away as a 100 meters. The roof also took the electricals attached to the 2 x 6's with it.

Two large Ma Kok trees were uprooted and lots of banana trees

I've often thought about fish diseases, fish not eating, water quality, makua worms, over/under watering, fertilizers, pesticides, where to buy stuff, where to sell, etc. but since we started this 'farm' a little over a year ago I had not given one second of thought to the power of mother nature and how quickly she can turn a farm into a mess. It was a busy night and morning and still lots of cleanup to do.

Thank God nobody was hurt by flying debris, lights dangling in the pond, and electrical feeds over the wall.

Did any of you guys in Nakorn Sawan experience the storm? It came from the south.

rgds

Quote Ramdom Chances

Not a thing down here, I was talking to a mate who lives up that way on the phone today, he recons he had flooding and he lives on the side of a mountain !! It just got blown into his house.

Honest guv, it was me he was talking about.

The storm hit us about 4:30. No rain since November, no government water for a month.

I went to pick up my son from school and there was a few drops in the air so I took the pickup instead of the motorbike.

By the time we got back it was raining hard in a couple of places and not much at home. By 4:30 it was pouring down, the the wind came and the rain fell at about 30 degrees instead of vertical. I went down the drive to collect my friends daughter from her school bus and even under the umbrella I was soaked in the first 5 metres. Got back indoors and changed into dry shorts and pants then just to make my day, fai dap. power failure. That came back after 1 1/2 hours and it has been OK since.

However my son ran into the downstairs junk room, slipped and came out wet and crying (he is only 2 1/2), so I dried him off and went into the room to get dry clothes and stepped into my own nam tuam. Though the shutters were closed the rain got through some small cracks and covered most of the floor.

The maid and I mopped the floor dry and it has been OK since.

Luckily we have had no other damage.

I think billd766's GPS showed I am around 30km from him (as the crow flies) on the Nakhon Sawan side of Mae Wong National Park. No wind and no rain at my place. Sorry to hear about the damage you suffered Somtham. Glad your damage, billd766, wasn't too bad.

I've often thought about fish diseases, fish not eating, water quality, makua worms, over/under watering, fertilizers, pesticides, where to buy stuff, where to sell, etc. but since we started this 'farm' a little over a year ago I had not given one second of thought to the power of mother nature and how quickly she can turn a farm into a mess. It was a busy night and morning and still lots of cleanup to do.

I have to admit that it never crossed my mind either. other than floods and draught. Good to hear everyone is ok and I hope you can get those plants to stand up again.