Just took my own good advice to buy new efficient AC. Tks TV!

Hi Folks,

After recently seeing a TV NEWS topic on this forum, I was, this morning, goaded into checking to see if the AC I purchased last year was still available, and for what price.

Yes, there was ONE unit left being sold by this major retailer in ALL of Thailand.

I immediately ordered the very last one to be sent up here from BKK.

It was touch and go, because the sales clerk repeatedly told me that BKK was now out of stock.

But, after repeatedly asking, finally, she admitted that, YES, there was on unit left down there in inventory.

SO I WANT TO THANK TV (Formerly known as AseanNow)!!!!

Yes.

In the past, on several important occasions, TV has saved me money.

Or, TV has goaded me into buying something that I did not know I needed.

In this case:

I bought this....

image.png.15ad23591a8b5b39ac660f3c14ec1682.png

image.png.ed0d7f6d20c37de397b0ad5028a3e12b.png

The only reason I mention this is because:

CHECK OUT THE EER....!!!

SEER = 23

This is what I was trying to convey, explain, and elucidate, in one of my recent comments about the importance of putting EFFICIENCY FIRST when choosing an AC.

Never buy a machine that is not at least 23.

And, also, I like to look at the women here who are 24, as I mentioned in a previous Topic.

=============

But here is the problem:

While at this retailer, there was a Thai family who was also looking at the ACs on offer.

And, I think they had decided on a machine for about Bt.16000.

One of them had on a university T-shirt, in fact.

So, while they were discussing their impending purchase, and I use the word 'impending' advisedly, I sidled over to ask their sales clerk:

Would you please tell me the SEER/EER ratio for this particular AC unit?

Yes, says he.

The SEER is..... 13.5

Hearing this...

I immediately felt sad and depressed.

Why...

Oh, Why...

Did the sales clerk not explain that....compared to a high-efficiency AC....

The AC that he was selling this family was so much less efficient, and would use so much MORE power, and cost so much more to run???

How does the machine I purchased compare to a unit with an SEER of 13.5?

Just do simple division...

23/13.5 = 1.7

My machine is about 70 percent more efficient.

I will save a LOT on energy costs.

Why is this not explained to consumers here????

It is not difficult to find an AC with a decent efficiency rating in Thailand.

Anything over 21 might be OK for most people.

And so, the question BEGS....

WHY DON'T THEY TEACH THIS in THAILAND'S SCHOOLS??????

Regards,

Gamma

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

i know but that's garbage 🗑️ 

Yes.

You are correct.

FYI: The last of these machines at this retailer went for Bt.42,500.00 (incl. installation), sold today, to me.

Since it was the last machine, if there is any problem with the machine, there will be no option of replacing the machine with another identical model.

The reason I purchased this machine is due to the EER rating, as stated.

There are few other machines on the local market that offer this type of higher efficiency.

If not Panasonic, which is ALWAYS my first choice, then I would next choose either Hitachi or Daikin.

Concerning a Daikin for the same price range, or same cooling capacity, here are two, among others, that are on offer:

image.png.caa37fa0cf55f52768c275670d9f3132.png

image.png.ff49d0cc7305de047ae2d67207d1b81e.png

The first offers efficiency ratio of this and only 5-year warranty:

image.png.9e504f316abdf00506a37b9ff17fc759.png

The second offers this:

image.png.0d6aeaea4b6e1527a557ff80cb5bf94f.png

The Daikin machines offer compressor warranties of only 5 years.

10 years for Panasonic (the one purchased by me).

I guess I would not pay this much for a Daikin.

Maybe, in this market, compared to the China market, the Daikin machines are overpriced?

I really do not know, and this is sort of a matter of preference and personal bias.

I will stay with Panasonic....
Even though...
I believe that the QC or manufacturing process might not be as good as it once was, or was when the machines were manufactured in a different country, like Taiwan or Japan.

I have NO Buyer's remorse, for sure....

Edited by GammaGlobulin

Does it have wi-fi control so that you can run the unit now and then when you are away during the hot summer months of Thailand ? When absent for many months, always a good idea to turn it on now and then to keep it in shape and also to air the place and reduce humidity.

Of course if you have somebody of trust to come over, that's fine, But as I personnaly don't feel confortable to let Tom-Dick-Harry or Somchai come over to my place when I am not there, I prefer to have a wifi enabled unit and to check it via CCTV that costs around 1800 THB for a small table unit that can tilt-pan-zoom.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stoner said:

this should be moved to the nobody cares section of the forums. 

if there was a "delete this post because nobody can be arsed to give a flying pfoonk" button that would be even better. 

but that is the world we live in now. people with boring and meaningless lives can find a platform to bang on about every inane thing they do all day, even when the flush the turrlet. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Middle Aged Grouch said:

Does it have wi-fi control so that you can run the unit now and then when you are away during the hot summer months of Thailand ? When absent for many months, always a good idea to turn it on now and then to keep it in shape and also to air the place and reduce humidity.

Of course if you have somebody of trust to come over, that's fine, But as I personnaly don't feel confortable to let Tom-Dick-Harry or Somchai come over to my place when I am not there, I prefer to have a wifi enabled unit and to check it via CCTV that costs around 1800 THB for a small table unit that can tilt-pan-zoom.

OK.

Internet Control is an important feature for ACs, as you state.

I agree.

Also, I do not want to make this a Topic critical of Panasonic.

However, you can go online and check to see what others say about Panasonic's integration of their AC products with the internet.

Yes.

The model I purchased, this year and the one last year, do offer Panasonic WiFi control for remote management of the ACs.

But, what is the latency involved in this case?

I have read some stories which are not flattering to Panasonic in this area.

By comparison, I use the internet/wifi control functions on my XiaoMi Air Purifiers.

XiaoMi internet control works very well, even using the app on my old Note 4.

But, the Panasonic app will not install on my Note 4.

And, I would not install it even if I had a phone that would install this software, which would require a newer OS than the one I have on the Note4.

The guy who delivers my water is named Somchai.

He is super nice.

I enjoy talking to him, every time I order water jugs.

Good Water, too!

I did a Topic on Somchai's water over a year ago, in case you are interested.

6 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

The REASON for this Topic is BECAUSE....nobody seems to...

CARE ENOUGH!

I care.
I care about others, as well.

I wish to see others get good deals on necessities in life.

And, AC, during this Age of Global Warming...is a ....

NECISSITY!

This is WHY I CARE......!

maybe one day you'll get an award for posting the greatest number of one star topics on AN. 

1 hour ago, Middle Aged Grouch said:

I prefer to have a wifi enabled unit and to check it via CCTV that costs around 1800 THB for a small table unit that can tilt-pan-zoom.

When I leave my house, I do not want to look at my house.

I am very tired of looking at my house, day after day.

Therefore, when I leave my house, for a nice outing, the last thing I want is to stare at my phone so that I can see my house, especially when I am not inside my house.

However, IF I were to leave the country for any length of time, then I would chose to use the CCTV option, as do you.

So, I will do that when/IF I need to venture so far afield, someday...

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Dioj said:

maybe one day you'll get an award for posting the greatest number of one star topics on AN. 

I never liked it when elementary teachers gave me stars in second-grade and first-grade.

This awarding of stars just seemed so very manipulative, and harmful to those who had fewer stars.

Some of those students never recovered from this artificially-induced deprivation, is my view....

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 1

Just now, GammaGlobulin said:

I never liked it when elementary teachers gave me stars in second-grade and first-grade.

This awarding of stars just seemed so very manipulative, and harmful to those who had fewer stars.

Some of those students never recovered from this artificially induced deprivation, is my view....

Well if you ever finally make it out of the second grade then maybe you'll be even better off than your current occupation of posting pedantic drivel 24/7. 

1 minute ago, Dioj said:

Well if you ever finally make it out of the second grade then maybe you'll be even better off than your current occupation of posting pedantic drivel 24/7. 

Perhaps you are correct in that there should be a time and a season for every pedant.

And, my time is now, this Hot Season.

10 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Poor ol Gamma, makes a half decent topic and gets taken apart.

An AI construct though he/she/they may be, but it is still probably more authentic than 90% of the <deleted> on this domain.

Come on, Sir...

You do not, truly, believe that nonsense conspiracy-theory GARBAGE that I am an AI...

Do you?

I feel more empathy for others' conditions, not to mention sympathy for the Human Condition, than anyone else on this forum.

You know what I say is true.

39 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Also, why do you thank the forum, if you took your own advice?

Did you need to see it in writing before you understood it?

I think you may have misunderstood my expression of gratitude.

You see, I was not thanking the forum for my advice.

On the contrary, the forum should have been thanking me for my advice.

The reason I thanked, and still thank, the forum is because, by being able to post on the forum, I gained the encouragement and impetus to go online to check the availability of the Panasonic AC which I bought last year.

And then, when I found that there was only one left in Thailand, and no more to come in the future, well...

I just HAD to have it.

And, none of this would have taken place if I had not, so serendipitously read and posted a comment on the Topic I saw in the Forum News section.

This is not the first time I have been thankful for reading TV, and for getting a very good deal as a result.

Hope this helps!

6 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

You see, I was not thanking the forum for my advice.

The reason I thanked, and still thank, the forum is because

This is not the first time I have been thankful for reading TV

Contradictions

9 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Come on, Sir...

You do not, truly, believe that nonsense conspiracy-theory GARBAGE that I am an AI...

Do you?

I feel more empathy for others' conditions, not to mention sympathy for the Human Condition, than anyone else on this forum.

You know what I say is true.

Mmm, methinks one doth protest too mutt!

I may potentially buy that GG is not an AI, but the fallback condition is that you is one of them boomer articles, which is in all actuality certainly a big one down from the former. However, as you say you do empathy, it surely cannot be so. 🙂

How is the AC going and what is the COP?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Contradictions

FALSE logic IF you maintain there are any contradictions in my comments, Sir.

Here is an example of why your claim is false:

a. I do not thank the people in ChengDu city, China, for spitting out huge green gobby-globs onto the public pavements of the city.

b. The reason I thank the people of ChengDu city is that they really know how to either prepare or enjoy the dish, Ants Climbing a Tree (Ants Climbing a Tree (ma yi shang shu – 蚂蚁上树) is a classic Sichuan dish consisting of glass noodles in a delicious sauce with ground pork.).

You see?

Edited by GammaGlobulin

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Mmm, methinks one doth protest too mutt!

I may potentially buy that GG is not an AI, but the fallback condition is that you is one of them boomer articles, which is in all actuality certainly a big one down from the former. However, as you say you do empathy, it surely cannot be so. 🙂

How is the AC going and what is the COP?

Right.

COP is a hard one, for sure....unitll....it is not....

Fortunately, if one wants to know more about COP and EER, then just google on Google for enlightenment and a giggle.

You might start here, and work your way deeper:

image.thumb.png.d07dea2c267037812d6506be3363ae24.png

https://www.cibsejournal.com/product/what-is-cop-and-eer/#:~:text=The Coefficient of Performance (COP,against the energy it consumes.

Knowing EER is sufficient to tell one if they can or cannot anticipate being destined to Pay Through The Nose for the next decade, using a GARBAGE AC.

The most important thing to calculate, before buying an AC, is EER.

Let's just leave it at that.

Keep it simple here, for the mentally challenged.

My pleasure is to help the common folk to pay less by reducing electrical inefficiency and through, especially, the reduction of FUD.

Why, the very idea that AC sales clerks at major retailers might lead customers astray, when purchasing ACs and refrigerators, is repugnant to me in every way.  Such an experience has never happened to me in Thailand.  Clerks are always very welcoming and helpful, and they do not intentionally prevaricate or obfuscate.  Clerks here are direct and clear, and convey important, accurate information to their customers, in most cases. 

You just gotta know how to ask the modern-day Major Retailer floor-sales-clerk questions in an effective and efficient way:

image.png.68037de4d83902c27cdfc598b169ba9e.png

This is what I do, and what you should do, also:

image.png.f4cc03cf74f8faca4048fccb75ef86d8.png

I know what I want BEFORE I enter the retail stores.

My buying experience is ALWAYS improved by being EDUCATED before I enter the store.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

13 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Poor ol Gamma, makes a half decent topic and gets taken apart.

An AI construct though he/she/they may be, but it is still probably more authentic than 90% of the <deleted> on this domain.

Yes and one of his attackers is on another thread accusing of others of being nasty.    Hypocrite  I find Gammas posts quite informative. In fact I was just going to purchase an aC and now Im going to do a little more research.

• Like 1