Thailand’s English proficiency is getting worse: study

rooster59

Baffled by the fact Colombia is ranked better than Thailand. When I've travelled there no one, absolutely no one, speaks any english.....not on their planes, at the border, taxis, hotels, restaurants.....anywhere.

In my experience Thailand much better.

I have taught several thai people English and also Vietnamese with success. Firstly I show them an Oxford English Dictionary and tell them this is The English Bible . next I ask them for simple English examples i.e. trains ,buses, cars, motor bikes , dresses and clothing anything simple which can be projected from the Eye to the Brain to the Mouth. Next check the word with the Dictionary WRITE down this word and any other related Words  other described by the dictionary then check these words this can then give then 40 words they understand. Stage 2 read signs ,look at newspapers and books ,again use their dictionary. Stage 3 find these words in a sentence then see how they relate to other words again using the dictionary.   It takes time and The EYE ,BRAIN and MOUTH are The Beholders. Simplicity is the secret and I have only been to University 1 time (to play football) but have had many university lecturers ask me how I can teach them so easily.    

13 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Firstly I show them an Oxford English Dictionary and tell them this is The English Bible .

Oh good; turn English instruction into a religion.  Is Noah Webster the devil in this scenario? 

I bet there is even a list of ten commandments.

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, janhkt said:

Stop dubbing movies and programmes, and subtitle them instead, so ppl get exposed to foreign languages. Worked out pretty well for scandinavian countries in terms of proficiency. Use France, Italy, Russia for opposite argument.

Nobody learns any language properly if they're not exposed to it from native speakers. 

Russia and France have another problem, they have the delusion that their language is "important" because of their "great" culture. Years back I was often told that French was the language of diplomacy whereas english is the language of business. With this sort of BS you don't motivate people to do the obvious right thing.

To some extent this could apply to Thailand, probably the most inward looking country in SEA.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Why is the exchange rate what it is.  Can't get off that easy.  What is the reason the baht has appreciated so much against the pound in the pasts decade? Baht up, GDP up, Jobs up and the economy doing great. 

Depends which paper you read,..economy down,exports down,tourism down jobs down

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

Unless you taught Thais how to speak English first.  I know educated in Thailand people who speak perfect English.  They don't teach school though.  They are working in industry.  The future is teaching with computer games and that should take care of the problem. 

Yeah, right. Especially if it's Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 with Kari Wuhrer (or maybe not):

Edited by MaxYakov

2 hours ago, THE REVERAND said:

I have taught several thai people English and also Vietnamese with success. Firstly I show them an Oxford English Dictionary and tell them this is The English Bible . next I ask them for simple English examples i.e. trains ,buses, cars, motor bikes , dresses and clothing anything simple which can be projected from the Eye to the Brain to the Mouth. Next check the word with the Dictionary WRITE down this word and any other related Words  other described by the dictionary then check these words this can then give then 40 words they understand. Stage 2 read signs ,look at newspapers and books ,again use their dictionary. Stage 3 find these words in a sentence then see how they relate to other words again using the dictionary.   It takes time and The EYE ,BRAIN and MOUTH are The Beholders. Simplicity is the secret and I have only been to University 1 time (to play football) but have had many university lecturers ask me how I can teach them so easily.    

Reverend is spelled with an "e."

• Haha 1

Thailand is reaping the rewards of endemic corruption, over decades.

Think about this, only the rich hi-so kids get access to the best education, including international universities. However, there is nothing to make these kids "special", other than their genes inherited from (rich) corrupt criminals, in many, if not most cases.

To make matters worse the Thai reverence and obsession with wealth means nobody will dare find fault or fail these kids at anything.

The results speak for themselves; Thailand as a whole will slide backwards as these pretenders take all the positions of power, thanks to Daddy's connections.

Edited by ParadiseLost
  • Like 2

GIGO.

Garbage In

Garbage Out.

They don't want to listen and learn.

It's a battle to get mobile phones turned off during training. 

The Tesl accreditation here is par for the course. 

I have my TAELLN 

Teaching adults English Language Literature and Numeracy acreds. 

Used during workplace training and assessment. 

Along with TAE quals and they leave for dead anything delivered here. 

I thought my thai learning was bad.

But at least I want to participate. 

Anyone who watches football on tv will know that the panel who assess games before and after have no idea how to pronounce either the name of the club or individual players, despite the fact that they could learn by listening to the English commentary which is available. 

The  same individuals have been doing this job for many years yet never seem to learn so any Thais viewing, of which there are many simply repeat the mistakes. 

This is only one small example of the problem.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Artisi said:

<deleted> was that all about? 

About 13 1/2 minutes, but IMHO the first 4 minutes are the best. ????

Does this statement by marcusarelus ring a bell?:

"The future is teaching with computer games and that should take care of the problem. "

Ref. my initial reply HERE

Edited by MaxYakov

5 hours ago, ParadiseLost said:

Thailand is reaping the rewards of endemic corruption, over decades.

Think about this, only the rich hi-so kids get access to the best education, including international universities. However, there is nothing to make these kids "special", other than their genes inherited from (rich) corrupt criminals, in many, if not most cases.

To make matters worse the Thai reverence and obsession with wealth means nobody will dare find fault or fail these kids at anything.

The results speak for themselves; Thailand as a whole will slide backwards as these pretenders take all the positions of power, thanks to Daddy's connections.

Anyone with a lick of sense will know that Thailand has been the same or worse for at least 200 years.  Given that can someone tell me why of all the countries in the immediate area why Thailand is 500% better off.  Burma and Vietnam and Laos and Cambodia are all sh**** countries.  Thailand sure is reaping the rewards and that is why it is doing so well in ASEAN.  https://www.focus-economics.com/countries/thailand

Quit the BS and get real.  I don't mind knocking Thai education but economically Thailand is doing better that the great majority of countries in the world.  Thailand is the 38 most competitive nation in the world out of 140 countries ranked in the 2018 edition of the Global Competitiveness Report published by the World Economic Forum. Competitiveness Rank in Thailand averaged 34.92 from 2007 until 2018, reaching an all time high of 40 in 2017 and a record low of 28 in 2008.

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/competitiveness-rank

There are three threads running now with a whole lot of people crying because Thai Immigration might make them go back to their 1st world countries.  If Thailand is so bad why do all those folks want to stay so much?

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Anyone with a lick of sense will know that Thailand has been the same or worse for at least 200 years.  Given that can someone tell me why of all the countries in the immediate area why Thailand is 500% better off.  Burma and Vietnam and Laos and Cambodia are all sh**** countries.  Thailand sure is reaping the rewards and that is why it is doing so well in ASEAN.  https://www.focus-economics.com/countries/thailand

Quit the BS and get real.  I don't mind knocking Thai education but economically Thailand is doing better that the great majority of countries in the world.  Thailand is the 38 most competitive nation in the world out of 140 countries ranked in the 2018 edition of the Global Competitiveness Report published by the World Economic Forum. Competitiveness Rank in Thailand averaged 34.92 from 2007 until 2018, reaching an all time high of 40 in 2017 and a record low of 28 in 2008.

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/competitiveness-rank

There are three threads running now with a whole lot of people crying because Thai Immigration might make them go back to their 1st world countries.  If Thailand is so bad why do all those folks want to stay so much?

Slave labour

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pastprime said:

Slave labour

I suggest you get an English dictionary and look up the definition of slave as this thread is about English proficiency.  You might want to also look up wages at the Ford motor company in Thailand or Toyota motor Thailand or PTT of Thailand. 

The Thai economy is the world's 20th largest by GDP at PPP and the 27th largest by nominal GDP. It became a newly industrialised country and a major exporter in the 1990s. Manufacturing, agriculture, and tourism are leading sectors of the economy. The economy is heavily export-dependent, with exports accounting for more than two-thirds of gross domestic product (GDP). Thailand exports over US$105 billion worth of goods and services annually.

Substantial industries include electric appliances, components, computer components, and vehicles. Thailand's recovery from the 1997–1998 Asian financial crisis depended mainly on exports, among various other factors. As of 2012, the Thai automotive industry was the largest in Southeast Asia and the 9th largest in the world. The Thailand industry has an annual output of near 1.5 million vehicles, mostly commercial vehicles.

Maybe you should visit Thailand and ask some of the people shopping at the new Terminal 21 or signing up for new bank accounts this weekend at all the malls.  (The banks are out in force before new years. 

• Like 2

With average wages around 13,770 baht a month, it is hard to imagine many Thais other than the hi-so variety being able to open shop at Terminal 21 or open new bank accounts.

Household debt across the nation has jumped to nearly 80 percent of GDP in the last decade, which seems to indicate that the working masses are using credit rather than cash to pay their way.

2 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

With average wages around 13,770 baht a month, it is hard to imagine many Thais other than the hi-so variety being able to open shop at Terminal 21 or open new bank accounts.

Household debt across the nation has jumped to nearly 80 percent of GDP in the last decade, which seems to indicate that the working masses are using credit rather than cash to pay their way.

There is a reason people don't include links.  Mostly it's because they are not posting the truth.

mid.png

debt.png

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, pastprime said:

'Where do you see Thailand in the next 10 years'    Now thats a good thread

Thailand’s wealth market is estimated at around $300 billion, with a rapidly growing population of about 30,000 high net worth individuals, the BCG Global Wealth Report 2017 said.

BANGKOK/HONG KONG (Reuters) - Switzerland’s Julius Baer (BAER.S) is forming a joint venture with Siam Commercial Bank (SCB) (SCB.BK), the latest foreign bank looking to tap Thailand’s growing wealth.

The Swill will manage Thai banks and grow the wealth at a rate more rapid than currently possible. 

A good time to buy.  Thailand will eclipse Singapore (everybody knows why).  Have your kids start speaking Thai and maybe you can buy a football team too.  

24 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Thailand’s wealth market is estimated at around $300 billion, with a rapidly growing population of about 30,000 high net worth individuals, the BCG Global Wealth Report 2017 said.

BANGKOK/HONG KONG (Reuters) - Switzerland’s Julius Baer (BAER.S) is forming a joint venture with Siam Commercial Bank (SCB) (SCB.BK), the latest foreign bank looking to tap Thailand’s growing wealth.

The Swill will manage Thai banks and grow the wealth at a rate more rapid than currently possible. 

A good time to buy.  Thailand will eclipse Singapore (everybody knows why).  Have your kids start speaking Thai and maybe you can buy a football team too. 

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article/can-thailand-escape-middle-income-trap/

It's obvious you think Thailand is doing well and has a bright future ahead. Many economists disagree, including some prominent Thai academics. 

How is Thailand to get out of the middle income trap it's been in arguably for a couple decades? 

Most everyone acknowledges that the country, unlike some others, such as China, lacks the human capital. If they start educating people properly TOMORROW, it will take 2 decades or more before they are ready to compete. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

the low salary thais have bank accounts, by and large