Thailand’s English proficiency is getting worse: study

rooster59

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

You should tell us when posting lies.  Easier to understand.  Google is your friend btw, you were the poster not I.  The burden of proof is on you not I as I didn't make the claim. 

Don't need to prove anything friend, not do I need to abide by your adhoc rules. Believe, don't believe, Google, don't Google, if you don't know something it isn't my job to teach you, go learn for yourself.

Do, don't do, personally I don't care. End of.

22 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Racist stereotyping usually decreases with intelligence and education. 

Usually, perhaps, but not always. Surely it's possible that many share some characteristic.

Nobody sounds the alarm when the stereotypes are positive, correct? Most Singaporeans excel at mathematics. Most Thais are pleasant. Most Japanese are exceptionally polite. Most Germans are highly intelligent. Most Russians are passionate. These are national characteristics for a reason -- the reason being, large majorities of people are thought to share certain characteristics. Nothing wrong with it. 

There are other stereotypes that capture large percentages of populations, too, and sometimes they are largely negative. There are fewer things more damaging to our current world than Political Correctness that prevents us from seeing what is right in front of us. And, the interesting part is that the Thais -- generally -- practice no such political correctness, and it is something I admire about them.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, YayaManos said:

it could be simple thought process, they be thinking in Thai and translating into English with no due consideration, and not understanding the meaning of the words spoken or written? 

Thank you for your contribution.

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

Thai,Central Thai, or Ayutthaya or Siamese,is the sole official and national language of Thailand, and the first language of the Central Thai people and vast majority of Thai of Chinese origin. It is a member of the Tai group of the Kra–Dai language family. Over half of Thai vocabulary is derived from or borrowed from Pali, Sanskrit, Mon, and Old Khmer. It is a tonal and analytic language.

Isan (Northeastern Thai), the language of the Isan region of Thailand, a collective term for the various Lao dialects spoken in Thailand that show some Central Thai influences, which is written with the Thai script. It is spoken by about 20 million people. Thais from both inside and outside the Isan region often simply call this variant "Lao" when speaking informally.

Northern Thai (Phasa Nuea, Lanna, Kam Mueang, or Thai Yuan), spoken by about 6 million (1983) in the formerly independent kingdom of Lanna (Chiang Mai). Shares strong similarities with Lao to the point that in the past the Siamese Thais referred to it as Lao.

Southern Thai (Thai Tai, Pak Tai, or Dambro), spoken by about 4.5 million (2006)

Phu Thai, spoken by about half a million around Nakhon Phanom Province, and 300,000 more in Laos and Vietnam (2006).

Phuan, spoken by 200,000 in central Thailand and Isan, and 100,000 more in northern Laos (2006).

Shan (Thai Luang, Tai Long, Thai Yai), spoken by about 100,000 in north-west Thailand along the border with the Shan States of Burma, and by 3.2 million in Burma (2006).

Lü (Lue, Yong, Dai), spoken by about 1,000,000 in northern Thailand, and 600,000 more in Sipsong Panna of China, Burma, and Laos (1981–2000).

Nyaw language, spoken by 50,000 in Nakhon Phanom Province, Sakhon Nakhon Province, Udon Thani Province of Northeast Thailand (1990).

Song, spoken by about 30,000 in central and northern Thailand (2000).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_language#Related_languages

I knew an engineer once. He could recite irrelevant factoids for hours, but he understood not a one.

Have a good day.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

I knew an engineer once. He could recite irrelevant factoids for hours, but he understood not a one.

Have a good day.

You edited my post and changed it's meaning.  What you left out is relevant to this thread as Thais speak many languages besides Thai.  74 different languages are spoken in Thailand and if you knew many Thai people you would know this. 

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You edited my post and changed it's meaning.  What you left out is relevant to this thread as Thais speak many languages besides Thai.  74 different languages are spoken in Thailand and if you knew many Thai people you would know this. 

Yes ,but its the 75th that's important  ..English

Yes I did, because I needed to separate the bit I was replying to from the pap. I know enough Thai people to get by on thanks, and none of them speak 4 languages. Nor do you, nor I suspect do you know any Thais who do.

The problem with telling porkies comes when you start to believe your own.

4 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

BS. Another factoid you made up to protect your own ego and prejudices?

People with higher levels of formal education report less prejudice in survey research.

Google, "You don't have to be well-educated to be an aversive racist, but it helps"

12 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Usually, perhaps, but not always. Surely it's possible that many share some characteristic.

Nobody sounds the alarm when the stereotypes are positive, correct? Most Singaporeans excel at mathematics. Most Thais are pleasant. Most Japanese are exceptionally polite. Most Germans are highly intelligent. Most Russians are passionate. These are national characteristics for a reason -- the reason being, large majorities of people are thought to share certain characteristics. Nothing wrong with it. 

There are other stereotypes that capture large percentages of populations, too, and sometimes they are largely negative. There are fewer things more damaging to our current world than Political Correctness that prevents us from seeing what is right in front of us. And, the interesting part is that the Thais -- generally -- practice no such political correctness, and it is something I admire about them.

You admire Thai racism?  Wow.  Racial stereotypes both positive and negative are signs of little education and even less intelligence. 

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

People with higher levels of formal education report less prejudice in survey research.

Google, "You don't have to be well-educated to be an aversive racist, but it helps"

I won't, but I'll give you the courtesy of explaining why - it's because I don't care. I have enough education for my needs and I don't need to prove anything to anyone else. I stopped needing to prove ascendency a long time ago.

Like, don't like, accept, don't accept, I don't care, you'll find your own place in the queue without my help.

Edited by HalfLight
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

Yes I did, because I needed to separate the bit I was replying to from the pap. I know enough Thai people to get by on thanks, and none of them speak 4 languages. Nor do you, nor I suspect do you know any Thais who do.

The problem with telling porkies comes when you start to believe your own.

The problem is that is against Thai Visa posting rules to edit the post to change it's meaning.  74 different languages are spoken in Thailand.  Everyone in Issan speaks at least 3.  Everyone in Chiang Mai at least 3.  Everyone in Bangkok at least 4.  Everyone in Pattaya at least 4.  Try to find a bar girl in Pattaya who cannot speak at least,  English, Thai, Lao, and a local dialect.  They don't exist. 

• Thanks 1

The problem is that is against Thai Visa posting rules to edit the post to change it's meaning.  74 different languages are spoken in Thailand.  Everyone in Issan speaks at least 3.  Everyone in Chiang Mai at least 3.  Everyone in Bangkok at least 4.  Everyone in Pattaya at least 4.  Try to find a bar girl in Pattaya who cannot speak at least,  English, Thai, Lao, and a local dialect.  They don't exist. 

I edited to clarify which bit I was responding to amongst the dross of a verbose post. I did not change the meaning of the post or the bit I was responding to.

Nevertheless, do what you have to do, friend, I really don't care one way or the other.

Edited by HalfLight

6 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Try to find a bar girl in Pattaya who cannot speak at least,  English, Thai, Lao, and a local dialect.  They don't exist. 

I've met many bar girls who can't speak any English, others that can speak English but not Thai or Lao.

Many tribal girls never bother to learn Thai.

My former MiL can only communicate properly with two other old ladies on my Moobaan of 250 houses.

She speaks some village Lao variant, I have no idea what she says at all, not one word.

But my 7-year-old son gabbles away with her.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You admire Thai racism?  Wow.  Racial stereotypes both positive and negative are signs of little education and even less intelligence. 

So, would you walk into a jungle through a pack of lions?

If not, why not? 

Just because some other lion killed one of the village kids recently, you can't reliably judge all lions. Some lions might be friendly.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I've met many bar girls who can't speak any English, others that can speak English but not Thai or Lao.

Many tribal girls never bother to learn Thai.

Don't doubt it. I think our Roman friend lives in a different space.

Gardener and maid speak 4 languages... naturally, that's why they're a gardener and a maid. Forgive me, I just encountered my BS limit for today and dinner beckons. My wife has just told me it's ready in 12 different languages...

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I guess you don't speak English very well.  I wrote, "All of the Thais I know speak at least 4 languages including my maid and gardener. Where do you meet these Thais who don't speak Thai." I said nothing about central Thai or Lanna.  There are many dialects of Thai at least 19 that I know of. 

Much more common than many will consider....

Most everyone I know [Thais] - from everyday farmers to professors - comprehend at least 2-4 languages. 

The segregated regional dialects and languages are numerous throughout the land have been commonplace for ages - quite reflective of the wide variety of linguistic forms that are understood. 

On top of that, there are still the "archaic" languages that are still relevant today. Examples - old Sukhothai and old Lanna just to name a couple. 

Traditional hill tribe languages have integrated easily, etc....

Within any provincial setting, one will find particular marketplace and moobaan dialects that conform to whatever is understood locally.

It goes on and on....

Isaan Lao has a number of distinct regional dialects, not always understood by the neighbor province.

Surin Province and southern Buriram/Sisaket speak a Khmer/Thai hybrid - Phasa Surin.

Quite astounding as to the broad variety of language/dialects that are understood here.

8 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

"Everyone in Issan speaks at least 3."

Rot.

"Everyone in Chiang Mai at least 3"

Rot.

"Everyone in Bangkok at least 4.  Everyone in Pattaya at least 4."

Dear God...

Over and out.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

That's just not true.

Quality education can help prevent racism and xenophobia – UN expert

Education is key to deconstruct racial narratives.  UN

The better your education the less likely you are to be a racist.  American political polling for Trump supporters is a prime example of this. 

Quality education can help prevent racism and xenophobia – UN expert

Education is key to deconstruct racial narratives.  UN

The better your education the less likely you are to be a racist.  American political polling for Trump supporters is a prime example of this. 

yada yada yada

1 minute ago, HalfLight said:

"Everyone in Issan speaks at least 3."

Rot.

"Everyone in Chiang Mai at least 3"

Rot.

"Everyone in Bangkok at least 4.  Everyone in Pattaya at least 4."

Dear God...

Over and out.

Have you ever been to Thailand?  Everyone in Issan speaks Issan/Lao and Thai and a local dialect.  Bangkok the same and add English or another language.  Chiang Mai?  You can't make change or find the market unless you speak Lanna.  Have you ever met a Pattaya bar girl?  Where do you think they come from?  Pattaya first and Bangkok second have the highest rate of spoken English. 

Just now, balo said:

Marcusarelius is a well known troll who claims to be more than 80 years old. If you ask about his nationality he will give you 6 countries. No point in arguing with him.

Thank you kind sir, I had begun to suspect something similar. Kind of you though, cheers. Time for an abrupt end I think.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, balo said:

Marcusarelius is a well known troll who claims to be more than 80 years old. If you ask about his nationality he will give you 6 countries. No point in arguing with him.

Are you arguing or flaming as per usual?  Did you find anything I wrote false?  What? 

Are you arguing or flaming as per usual?  Did you find anything I wrote false?  What? 
I can't prove anything, this is an anonymous forum. But no , I don't believe your'e 80 ++ years old.