Tourist Visa in HCMC (Saigon)

Hi guys,

Has anyone applied for SE TR in HCMC, and how did it go?

Embassy website requires all the usual, but it specifically asks for hotel reservations. For example, Phnom Penh does not require proof of accomodation for Single Entry, bank statement and in/out tickets only.

I'm asking because in my experience embassies often do not ask all the things listed, for example, Phnom Penh had zero interest in my flight tickets in Nov 1 year ago, same 2 years ago. But they were very much interested in bank printout, that's the only thing PP cared for, they wanted application, passport copy, passport, 1 photo. I had tickets, they pushed them aside and said put them away.

Has anyone recently applied for single entry Tourist Visa at HCMC Saigon, and what did they want to see? 

New Canadian passport.

Edited by whitemouse

I haven't done it personally for some years but friends have. Here are few tips that I'm sure may be of use.

First of all the embassy is a dream. Very tiny as hardly anyone there. They are strict but good.

You need air ticket in/out Thailand. BTW a cell screenshot will not cut it. Need print out. Again BTW if you need photocopy something or whatever, there is travel agency across the road which can act like internet cafe (for small fee).

All the other "standard requirements" apply. Its accessible from district 1. I would especially suggest Saigon for setv if from country that can obtain visa exempt stamp, eg UK.

Hope some points of help

Edited by DrJack54
Error
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I haven't done it personally for some years but friends have. Here are few tips that I'm sure may be of use.

BTW if you need photocopy something or whatever, there is travel agency across the road 

Hope some points of help

Thank you, guys!

I have a ticket out of Thailand for April, getting out just before Songkran hits Pattaya.

But that is 5 months away, and Consulate may not like it, so today I bought a ticket out of Thailand within 60 days, so it's by the book. 

I'll be at Consulate on Wed or Thu, I will update how it went, and what seems their main concerns. As I said, Phnom Penh embassy examined my bank printout very carefully, line by line, searching for a date when I had logged in, in order to print. Tickets were of zero interest to them. But things are changing in region.

I only really need 30 days, since travelling out of Thailand soon, but I don't want to take a chance, and land at  DMK without visa. Every day now there are topics entry refusal here, I really don't wish  to be questioned  at DMK holding room like a potential criminal. But what is the real number of entry denials, only a very small portion of Thailand travellers read TVF, most people do not, I'm sure of it. And we never hear about their sad experience.

Thank you for taking time to reply, and for your advise, LongtimeLurker, and DrJack54! 

Edited by whitemouse

11 hours ago, whitemouse said:

Thank you, guys!

I have a ticket out of Thailand for April, getting out just before Songkran hits Pattaya.

But that is 5 months away, and Consulate may not like it, so today I bought a ticket out of Thailand within 60 days, so it's by the book. 

I'll be at Consulate on Wed or Thu, I will update how it went, and what seems their main concerns. As I said, Phnom Penh embassy examined my bank printout very carefully, line by line, searching for a date when I had logged in, in order to print. Tickets were of zero interest to them. But things are changing in region.

I only really need 30 days, since travelling out of Thailand soon, but I don't want to take a chance, and land at  DMK without visa. Every day now there are topics entry refusal here, I really don't wish  to be questioned  at DMK holding room like a potential criminal. But what is the real number of entry denials, only a very small portion of Thailand travellers read TVF, most people do not, I'm sure of it. And we never hear about their sad experience.

Thank you for taking time to reply, and for your advise, LongtimeLurker, and DrJack54! 

In regards to update of your experience later in week. I'm interested in the "ticket out" requirement. I go to Saigon every few weeks and often get asked about the ticket out of Thailand by people I meet in district 1. Its understandable as some people wish to exit via land. Personally flight ticket out seems crazy. I can understand demonstration of funds etc.

Good luck with the setv

Edited by DrJack54
Error

My info is three weeks old, so the situation may have changed!

I applied for a SETV in HCMC. They wanted to see:

• bank statement
  • evidence of onward flight
  • evidence of accommo

Make sure that you have everything printed out before you attend. USD40, in cash, upfront, other currencies unacceptable.

I wouldn't describe the visa section as being very comfortable or welcoming. Immediately after their lunchbreak at 13.30, the place is very crowded with people collecting visas.

A very helpful travel agent near the Thai Consulate in HCMC.

Turn right outside the Consulate gate.

Staying on the same side of the street, walk until the first intersection. Continue across the intersection . Do not turn right at the intersection, as the Thai staff in the Consulate will direct you - there's absolutely nothing of immediate use on that street. The travel agent is about fifty meters further on down the road on the same side of the road as the Consulate. Some cafes on the opposite side of the road near the Consulate - one prominently advertising a popular Thai beer.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The consulate will accept overland tickets for departure from Thailand.

I have shown them a train ticket before.

Appreciate the updated requirements. As I mentioned in my first post, its been some years since I have done setv. At that time, I think it was also Bali that required FLIGHT out. Good to hear things in Saigon are bit more flexible now.

17 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Appreciate the updated requirements. As I mentioned in my first post, its been some years since I have done setv. At that time, I think it was also Bali that required FLIGHT out. Good to hear things in Saigon are bit more flexible now.

It's a while since I've done one also, having converted to a retirement visa back in January, but that was my prior experience.

Best check the requirements on the consulate website but from what I recall it used to be clear that any ticket (bus, train, air) out of Thailand was acceptable to them.

On 11/6/2018 at 10:13 AM, DrJack54 said:

In regards to update of your experience later in week. I'm interested in the "ticket out" requirement.

I was there this morning, had with me:

1. Ticket to BKK

2. Ticket to Europe for April 2019

3. Ticket to Siem Riep, Cambodia, for Feb 2019, few days less than 3 months, counting from today

4. Bank statement, just a computer printout of bank balance page

5. Letter from a guest house owner, saying I have booking with him for 30 days, starting day of arrival, basically a print of an email from him. No signature, no booking web site, just an email with few sentences.

The Consulate is very pleasant, really, staff is incredibly nice and helpful, I had forgotten to print the BKK - Siem Riep ticket, instead I managed to print HCMC - BKK twice, 2 PDF that look exactly same.

Consulate ladies pointed to print shop down the road, step out of Consulate, turn right, you reach main road 100m away, and then turn right again,  print shop is 10m from intersection. They are happy to print and photo copy.

Printed ticket, went back, and Consulate accepted paperwork, gave receipt for pick up for tomorrow afternoon.

Just few points, consulate did not accept my ticket out of Thailand in April, ticket out needs to be within 3 months. Since I stupidly forgot to print  February 2019 ticket  BKK - Siem Riep,  I tried to show them BangkokAir ticket email confirmation  on my phone, no, she said, printed ticket only, no surprise there. 

They gave bank statement only passing glance, no way they could have even find balance line within these 2 seconds, it's a busy page with ton in text.

What I was really worried is the accomodation confirmation. All I had was 2 sentence letter, signed by guest house owner, I expected this to become issue, and I was prepared to reserve hotel for 2 weeks, and return to Consulate next day, with printed reservation. But letter was enough, they hardly looked at the letter, 2 seconds glance.

So, the 5 minutes that they were examining my paperwork was all spent on tickets, out of Saigon, and out of Thailand, she really went by dates with a pen. Nothing else seemed to be of much interest.

$40 and application was acceped.

I had 30 visa exempt from Sept 2018 in my passport. Staffer did flip through passport, basically empty pages. 

Consulate staff was nicest that I've encountered in years and years applying for visa in the region.

Consulate looked at visa requirement paperwork stricty by the book, everything  listed on HCMCity Consulate web site they did actually want to see.

My HCMCity Consulate experience is opposite of Kuala Lumpur Embassy, where they they seemed to be  looking for reason to deny visa, and not in friendly way. Many people in Kuala Lumpur were sent back from glass windows, with their paperwork, meanibg application not accepted. People applying  had tears in their eyes, European looking families with children crying.

In my case in KL, Malaysia, reason to deny application - bank balance page print wasn't good enough: "Letter from your home bank Canada, mister, bank stamp on letter, mister, bank manager signature on letter, mister, you go away now, you can get 30 days on arrival!"

HCMCity today a very pleasant experience!

Edited by whitemouse

Thanks for comphensive update. Will help me advise others that I run into in Saigon. As per my original post, you have confirmed my experience, that ticket out of Thailand required and that cell screenshot won't cut it. All the other stuff standard. 

I also found them pleasant and helpful.