Dept. Land Transp. Frustrations

On 11/5/2018 at 5:07 PM, stud858 said:

In practical reality you could be stopped and fined a couple times a year or maybe not at all.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the other issue beyond police fines about potentially driving here without a valid Thai license is should that driver get into a crash/collision/accident, their insurance might not cover their own or other party expenses if the event the person was driving without a valid license.

A friend told me when you buy a motorbike that you pay, like, B200 for a year of insurance as part of the transaction. (And then pay it again every year when you pay taxes on the bike?)

If this is correct, what does this insurance cover? 

Also, one of the reasons I wanted a bike license was to get insurance. Cuz, when I looked into it, no company would offer insurance to someone who was not riding the bike legally (with a proper license). Which seemed kind of "duh," with hindsight. ???? 

And, (not directly related to this thread but...), anybody know of good deal on a smallish street bike (Click, Wave or similar), in BKK?

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the other issue beyond police fines about potentially driving here without a valid Thai license is should that driver get into a crash/collision/accident, their insurance might not cover their own or other party expenses if the event the person was driving without a valid license.

Sure, if you got an expensive bike that would be a big risk.

Otherwise if you scoot around on nothing more than a cheapy mower engine bike then you would just throw it and buy another. A smaller risk.

Just now, OliverKlozerof said:

A friend told me when you buy a motorbike that you pay, like, B200 for a year of insurance as part of the transaction. (And then pay it again every year when you pay taxes on the bike?)

Also, one of the reasons I wanted a bike license was to get insurance. Cuz, when I looked into it, no company would offer insurance to someone who was not riding the bike legally (with a proper license). Which seemed kind of "duh," with hindsight. ???? 

And, (not directly related to this thread but...), anybody know of good deal on a smallish street bike (Click, Wave or similar), in BKK?

That would be the compulsory insurance (CTPL), doesn't cover much, you need to buy another "on top" insurance, you will find insurers inside and around any DLT (normally ...).

They have different grades for different prices and coverage , 1,2,3,4 etc.

16 minutes ago, OliverKlozerof said:

It is common to include the first year Compulsory Insurance when buying a bike here but not guaranteed. Yes you renew it every year together with your road tax at one of many small shops. Google "thailand compulsory motorbike insurance" and you'll find more info. It covers up to 30k in medical expenses.

4 minutes ago, stud858 said:

I can vaguely remember someone telling me motorbikes cant be insured for damage at all. Only cars. 

It's that right? 

You can but there's a stupid "regulation" and your bike need to be less than, 4 years old or something like this, if it's "too old" then you can't get a premium insurance.

If you get a 2+ / 2 / 3 insurance, the damage coverage is ridiculous, you'll be covered only if you crashed with someone else who got a good insurance and who was clearly wrong (good luck with that you fAAaaarang, you no good diver, no goood you wrong)

Edited by Pepper9187

2 minutes ago, stud858 said:

I can vaguely remember someone telling me motorbikes cant be insured for damage at all. Only cars. 

Is that right? 

Complete nonsense. You can insure motorbikes the same like cars. Why would you not be able to?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Otherwise if you scoot around on nothing more than a cheapy mower engine bike then you would just throw it and buy another. A smaller risk.

I was thinking not just of the bike, but of personal liability and 3rd party medical expenses, were the person to get into a serious accident and injure / kill others.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, stud858 said:

That's if you are lucky and only have damages to your own bike. Chances are there'd be medical expenses and damages to the third party as well which can be quite high very quickly.

3 minutes ago, Pepper9187 said:

You can but there's a stupid "regulation" and your bike need to be less than, 4 years old or something like this, if it's "too old" then you can't get a premium insurance.

I've never heard of this regulation. Do you have a source? Would be interesting. I'm quite sure you can get first class insurance for bikes older than 4 years. My CBR500R is from 2013 iirc so I guess I could try and see if I could get first class for that bike even though I am not really interested in that as I don't ride it so much anymore.

Just now, eisfeld said:

I've never heard of this regulation. Do you have a source? Would be interesting. I'm quite sure you can get first class insurance for bikes older than 4 years. My CBR500R is from 2013 iirc so I guess I could try and see if I could get first class for that bike even though I am not really interested in that as I don't ride it so much anymore.

I wouldn't know where to find out that "regulation" i don't know if it's a law or just something insurers decided to do, i've seen people talking about that in the forum, and when i tried to get a premium for my 12 years old CB400sf i was declined every time.

The thing is that, if you buy a new or recent car, you get a premium insurance, then you can keep your premium insurances for 10 years if you want to, but if you stop it you'r screwed.

I can't tell for sure if it's 3 years or 4 or 5 or 6 but it's definitely less than 10 years, i'd bet on 4 or 5.

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I was thinking not just of the bike, but of personal liability and 3rd party medical expenses, were the person to get into a serious accident and injure / kill others.

I guess that's the biggest risk of all.

6 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Complete nonsense. You can insure motorbikes the same like cars. Why would you not be able to?

i can only think of two reasons. 

Too risky for insurance companies with so many bikes tipping over and maybe in the past, too many dodgy claims.

I've never asked to insure one, but am interested to know. 

2 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Too risky for insurance companies with so many bikes tipping over and maybe in the past, too many dodgy claims.

I've never asked to insure one, but am interested to know. 

Risk is reflected in the fees. Higher risk, higher premium and deductibles.

You actually are required by law to insure your bike. That's what the mentioned compulsory insurance is. And you can also get all the way up to first class insurance which I have for my main big bikes. Now you know ????

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pepper9187 said:

I wouldn't know where to find out that "regulation" i don't know if it's a law or just something insurers decided to do, i've seen people talking about that in the forum, and when i tried to get a premium for my 12 years old CB400sf i was declined every time.

The thing is that, if you buy a new or recent car, you get a premium insurance, then you can keep your premium insurances for 10 years if you want to, but if you stop it you'r screwed.

I can't tell for sure if it's 3 years or 4 or 5 or 6 but it's definitely less than 10 years, i'd bet on 4 or 5.

Pretty sure there is no such regulation but many insurance companies have internal policies to not insurance old vehicles. Many maybe have the cutoff point at 10 years or depending on the milage. As motorcycles approach these ages/milages, chances are they will fail somehow. They are not as sturdy as a car. And your was your Superfour actually ever officially sold in Thailand by Honda or was that one of those grey imports? Is it possible to get replacement parts and repairs from an official Honda dealer? I always liked this model btw, pretty cool looking bike, even today.

2 minutes ago, Pepper9187 said:

We can joke about everything, but just not with everyone ! ????  

You are correct, millions staving in Yemen, Jewish people shot dead in USA, Leicester City manager killed in crash. Come on, tell us a joke about those things. 

1 minute ago, eisfeld said:

Pretty sure there is no such regulation but many insurance companies have internal policies to not insurance old vehicles. Many maybe have the cutoff point at 10 years or depending on the milage. As motorcycles approach these ages/milages, chances are they will fail somehow. They are not as sturdy as a car. And your was your Superfour actually ever officially sold in Thailand by Honda or was that one of those grey imports? Is it possible to get replacement parts and repairs from an official Honda dealer? I always liked this model btw, pretty cool looking bike, even today.

I can't find the posts but i'm positive, I've read others users talking about not being able to insure their old but not too old bike.

Can someone help me on thaaaat !? anyone !? aha

For the bike, basically i once went to honda bigwing in BKK to get it serviced, their answer was :

<deleted>**k off, you didn't buy the bike here, we'll only change your oil that's all, so i asked them if i could order spare parts, now lost of spare parts are made in Thailand (even for that model, it shares lots of parts with the CB600 and some other models) :

Answer : F***ck of again, go away, we won't even check in our computer if we have spare parts, you didn't buy the bike here, you didn't buy the bike in Thailand.

That's basically how you lose a 15 Years Honda customer. (yes it's a grey import with green book, probably from Singapore because of the lower ASEAN taxes vs Japan i guess)

I understand they won't bother to service a carburetor bike (they only works on injection) so do carbs tuning or cleaning, but for the spare parts i won't forgive them, NEVER.

I order my parts online through the Impex japan website, really good prices and they just have everything,  only problem is you need the parts manual (PDF) to find out the parts number, you can't "browser" your bike parts.

8 minutes ago, Pepper9187 said:

I can't find the posts but i'm positive, I've read others users talking about not being able to insure their old but not too old bike.

They might not do "first class" insurance  but "lower class" is still available  "no plomplem"

I think Bigwing needs your VIN or customer number or some such to order parts from AP Honda distributor and since your bike wont be in the system, it might be hard for them to order anything. And they wont find the bike and parts lists in there if it was never officially sold in Thailand. So I can understand them a bit. If a bike is bought from a third party importer then in most cases you have to also go to third party shops for service and parts, unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

I think Bigwing needs your VIN or customer number or some such to order parts from AP Honda distributor and since your bike wont be in the system, it might be hard for them to order anything. And they wont find the bike and parts lists in there if it was never officially sold in Thailand. So I can understand them a bit. If a bike is bought from a third party importer then in most cases you have to also go to third party shops for service and parts, unfortunately.

Yes and no.

That time i had printed all the honda parts references i wanted to buy (cause i have all the PDFs parts diagrams).

All they had to do is enter the part reference in their system, and they would have known, 10 seconds.
They can do that, i've seen them doing it before, i've ordered many honda parts like this before in smaller honda shops.

They just won't give a f****

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

You are correct, millions staving in Yemen, Jewish people shot dead in USA, Leicester City manager killed in crash. Come on, tell us a joke about those things. 

Ahaha now everyone's that is mister Serious with a big S. 

Now available on thaivisa forums.

Besides i now have a killer joke in mind, a really naughty one but no can say, too serious, no want to be thrown under a bus.

Edited by Pepper9187
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, OliverKlozerof said:

Can you buy a motorbike in Thailand without a motorbike license? I.e., can a farang like myself, who has a retirement visa, long term residence, Thai auto license...from a dealer...?

Yes but you wouldn't be allowed to ride it nor would you be insured. I think they never asked me for my license when I bought bikes. Only passport and certificate of residence. But I would suggest you just get a license either by finding a DLT without months of waiting time or using one of the third party schools as mentioned before.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Yes but you wouldn't be allowed to ride it nor would you be insured. I think they never asked me for my license when I bought bikes. Only passport and certificate of residence. But I would suggest you just get a license either by finding a DLT without months of waiting time or using one of the third party schools as mentioned before.

Hmm...I think someone said there were 5 DLT locations in BKK...so maybe I need to skip around to them to see if one has a short wait time. Because apparently, since I live in BKK, I have to apply here. 
So, sans license, I guess I'd need to go to the dealer with a licensed person in order to drive away with it.