Dept. Land Transp. Frustrations

2 hours ago, OliverKlozerof said:

Hmm...I think someone said there were 5 DLT locations in BKK...so maybe I need to skip around to them to see if one has a short wait time. Because apparently, since I live in BKK, I have to apply here. 
So, sans license, I guess I'd need to go to the dealer with a licensed person in order to drive away with it.

No problem to change your address to a friends place in another province and get the driving license there. Why don't you get a driving license before buying a motorbike?

57 minutes ago, jackdd said:

No problem to change your address to a friends place in another province and get the driving license there. Why don't you get a driving license before buying a motorbike?

Hmm. I have a friend in Khon Kaen; another in Mae Sai. Seems like a hassle and still not sure of wait time in those areas. Kinda seems better to either • try some other DLTs in BKK to see about wait times, or • make appointment for next year at Bangchak (very near me). I don't *have to* have a motorbike right away, but would kind of like to get on with it for a couple ideas I have. 
It's also about time to take a break from BKK...so maybe I go to Hua Hin or somewhere and maybe rent a bike there for a while.... Actually, just recalled I have a friend in Ban Amphur (past Jomtien)...maybe I could use his address to apply down there (which it seems like would be Pattaya DLT. I guess I'll also look into other 3rd party riding courses....

But wait a minute...I think casually changing my address for a few days/weeks would not be so easy(?) I think you have to show a rental contract or something??

2 hours ago, OliverKlozerof said:

Hmm. I have a friend in Khon Kaen; another in Mae Sai. Seems like a hassle and still not sure of wait time in those areas. Kinda seems better to either • try some other DLTs in BKK to see about wait times, or • make appointment for next year at Bangchak (very near me). I don't *have to* have a motorbike right away, but would kind of like to get on with it for a couple ideas I have. 
It's also about time to take a break from BKK...so maybe I go to Hua Hin or somewhere and maybe rent a bike there for a while.... Actually, just recalled I have a friend in Ban Amphur (past Jomtien)...maybe I could use his address to apply down there (which it seems like would be Pattaya DLT. I guess I'll also look into other 3rd party riding courses....

But wait a minute...I think casually changing my address for a few days/weeks would not be so easy(?) I think you have to show a rental contract or something??

You can book your appointment online somewhere on the DLT website, i have personally posted a link a couple of weeks ago but i can't find it anymore, tried, searched and failed !.

This page is only in Thai but with google chrome you can translate it, right click => Translate to english, now i haven't used it, can't tell if it's working or accurate, but at some point you should be able to get the average waiting time of each DLT, i guess that after filling out your personal data you should have a kind of calendar with the available dates .... 

If someone know what i'm talking about please post the link, thanks !

Edited by Pepper9187

7 hours ago, OliverKlozerof said:

I think casually changing my address for a few days/weeks would not be so easy(?) I think you have to show a rental contract or something??

Your friend can just go to the immigration office with you and tell them that you stay at your friend's place. They would want to see a rental contract in your friend's name and a copy of the blue book and id card of the owner of the place, but nothing with your own name on it is required.

Edited by jackdd

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2018 at 2:54 AM, Pepper9187 said:

You can book your appointment online somewhere on the DLT website, i have personally posted a link a couple of weeks ago but i can't find it anymore, tried, searched and failed !.

This page is only in Thai but with google chrome you can translate it, right click => Translate to english, now i haven't used it, can't tell if it's working or accurate, but at some point you should be able to get the average waiting time of each DLT, i guess that after filling out your personal data you should have a kind of calendar with the available dates .... 

If someone know what i'm talking about please post the link, thanks !

Maybe this one?

http://ebooking.dlt.go.th/ebooking/

Is it only for "training",  I need an appointment to renew a 2 year to a 5 years,   anyone made an appointment to do that?

Anyone know the hours when the medical place across Sukhumwit are open , probably need to go up to get that 1st, then go back at 0730 am  to be early for 0800 opening   @  Bang Chak  / Bang jak  DLT?

Edited by chubby
ss

On 11/6/2018 at 2:02 PM, Russell17au said:

I do not think it is a case of appointments being different at the different offices, I would say that it would depend on how busy each office is. I know that the Khon Kaen office is not as busy as the Bangkok office is so it would be quite easy to do it without an appointment at Khon Kaen because you do not have the same population there as you have in Bangkok.

Did my renewal last week in CM went the day before to sort out a problem, every thing sorted come back tomorrow morning at 830 we start at 0900. Arrived got in line got my number finally called did the color blind test and the reaction test all pass. they did have one Thai guy who was color blind and they took him out of line. Off to the movie 1 hour got another number for paying and final issue all done in about 2 hours. no appointment

On 11/22/2018 at 8:36 AM, chubby said:

Maybe this one?

http://ebooking.dlt.go.th/ebooking/

Is it only for "training",  I need an appointment to renew a 2 year to a 5 years,   anyone made an appointment to do that?

Tried the link today in Chrome, which translated it into English. Unfortunately, when I clicked to make an appointment, it asked for 'ID card #.' Of course I don't have a Thai ID card, so tried both of 1) my passport #, and 2) my auto driver's license #. Both failed. ????
Any farang ever book an appointment online successfully? 

Also--question for anyone living outside of BKK where the DLT is process is fast...

Uh...here in BKK, they need proof of residence. I learned the fastest way to do this was to go to US embassy and get a Residence Affidavit. When I did that, they didn't ask me to prove the address I provided was correct (for example, with a rent contract or bills addressed to me). All I had to do was answer 'Yes,' when asked if everything was correct. Then they signed and stamped it.

So, if such a letter from my embassy would also fulfill the requirement in other provinces, then all I have to do is fill in an address from some apartment building in that province on the Residence Affidavit at my embassy before heading off to [Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Pechaburi...or wherever]. Right?

Edited by OliverKlozerof

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I was hopeful for a second.... Found out there's a fairly new A.P. Honda Safety Center just 3 stops down the BTS line near Samrong. Unfortunately, once I got a phone number for them, he said they're fully booked *until March*!
Since I just don't want to make an appointment (either there or the local DLT) and wait, I now think I should just 'move' to a rural part of the country just long enough to get a motorbike license at a non-busy DLT.
So, though I may have asked this before...

If you live in an area outside BKK with a non-busy DLT...can you tell me how you go about proving residence there (such that the DLT will OK it)? Like, do you have to have a proper lease? Could you rent a room in hotel for a few weeks...?