National disaster chief orders Phuket officials to maintain tsunami-warning towers

snoop1130

National disaster chief orders Phuket officials to maintain tsunami-warning towers

By Chutharat Plerin

1541407776_1-org.jpg

The tsunami-warning tower at Kamala Beach is now working properly. Photo: Supplied

PHUKET:-- The chief of the National Disaster Warning Centre (NDWC), Suppapimit Paorik, has ordered local officials to ensure that regular maintenance is carried out on all tsunami-warning towers and related systems.

Mr Suppapimit was in Phuket yesterday (Nov 4) to witness first-hand the testing of the warning tower at Kamala Beach, which has repeatedly been reported as failing to sound the alarm during tests.

Mr Suppapimit said that all warning towers in Phuket are functioning 100%.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/national-disaster-chief-orders-phuket-officials-to-maintain-tsunami-warning-towers-69240.php#EUHTvV7ZxHfz7qh1.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-11-5

4 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I cannot believe that they need to be "ordered" to do this.

After all, they are just as vulnerable as the rest of us if they get no warning.

Do we need a Crowdfunding page to get batteries for the warning buoys?

Of course they need to be told Crossy. You're using ferang logic again.

It was only a month a go I posted a sarcastic comment on here about it.

It was IIRC a female who was supposed to be in charge of checking these devices. I said she didn't have time to speak to the press as she was off to the 7 Eleven to buy some AA batteries for the non-functioning tsunami buoy, that had been brought to her attention by someone (I think) unrelated to the warning system.

Yes, she's just as vulnerable. But perhaps not bothered as she's hoping in the next life she comes back as a man, therefore being able to get away with doing even less.

<end of sarcasm mode>

• Like 1

I haven't heard them test the tower in Rawai for many years now. I'm rather sure it doesn't work, and then there are they buoys the Navy doesn't maintain and sometimes they wonder where they are. Great system! The last tsunami the Thai Government couldn't be bothered to answer the phone call from the USGS about a tsunami warning. That worked out well, not!

2 hours ago, Jimi007 said:

I haven't heard them test the tower in Rawai for many years now. I'm rather sure it doesn't work, and then there are they buoys the Navy doesn't maintain and sometimes they wonder where they are. Great system! The last tsunami the Thai Government couldn't be bothered to answer the phone call from the USGS about a tsunami warning. That worked out well, not!

Same here in Kata. Seem to remember a scheduled test a long time ago. Never heard a thing. I was waiting to hear it work ... nada