What Is Oil-change Frequency On A Honda Wave 100 Cc ?

Trevor

I just bought a secondhand 5-year-old air-cooled moped. There was no owner’s handbook. On asking, the dealer’s mechanic said to change the oil monthly or every 3,000 Km. But as a small-town runabout it’s unlikely to clock up more than 3,000 Km over a whole year, running at speeds below 60 Kph. I presume air-cooled engines run hotter than water-cooled, and would degrade the oil faster?

In my situation what frequency or mileage would it be appropriate to change the oil? Is there any oil filter to change?

And how about the air filter? Do these bikes have a car-type paper element? How often should it be replaced?

With thanks.

I have a Honda Dream 100, very similar to the Wave I think. As to the air filter mine is a foam like material that is washed in warm water and soap, dried out and spayed lightly with an oil designed for air cleaners. However unless you are using the bike on dirt roads you should be good on the filter for a couple of years. As to the oil the book says change after the first 1000 KM, then every 1000 k after that. In 2 years I have never seen my Thai friends change the oil or anything on their bikes - but the Hondas just keep on running.

I do my own oil change and it is very simple to do. Just remove the large bolt on the bottom of the engine, drain out the oil, replace the bolt and add a good quality multi-grade oil like a 10w-40 or a 15w-40. The bike will take about 3/4 of a litre - you fill it at the dip stick hole. Happy motoring!

it all depends what you're putting your little 'run-about' through.. but for the sake of 100 baht, hel_l yes..!! change it every month. I do...

but then again, my 125i wave does have doi suthep/pui to climb on a fairly regular basis...

Thanks to all for replies. These little mopeds are a testament to Japanese, and especially Honda's, engineering. Out in the sticks you can see old models from the 1960s still running. Will be interesting to see how the new-generation fully-automatic scooters fare.

Thai style of maintenance: dont do anything until something breaks. In the long run will probably cost you less than regular maintenance. I have a 12 year old Yamaha Beller 100cc. This motorbike has really been abused and not looked after by my wife, had descil poured in it once (needed engine rebuild), etc. Recently had front end rebuild because reckless 16 year old boy had a bad accident. After all that its still running beautifully! Just rebuilt the carb (well just a clean), and replaced some of the rubber hoses (done by myself). Figure it will now run reliable for another 3 years :o

PS: 100c Honda wave is probably the best motorbike in Thailand. I guess we will see lots of them running around in 30 years from now :D Thus do nothing?

If your just travelling around town, you can get an oil change for that bike every 2000 kilometers. I advice the

'Castrol Super Activ 4T' oil which works best or 'Repsol 4T'.

God knows what shit they feeding your bike down at the dealers for 100 baht.

I seem to remeber a premium bottle of 4T going for 70 baht down at the local motorbike shop, so 100 baht sounds about right if you include a little inflation. Changing the oil is not exactly hard anyway.