Thailand makes HUGE changes to its laws on smoking in public

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, hobz said:

grossly over-egged,,, no, it's not a big deal, nobody said its a big deal, just it should be made illegal, if the law is broken a small fine will be paid,, we are not talking about jail sentences or huge fines are we? literally the smallest possible penalty, that is, a small fine. How can that be grossly over-egged?

can't hurt or smell that much? Yes it can. 

We live in different locations. You are describing a place and occurrence that I simply never see even though I live in a Thai city.

Remember we're talking outside here. 

If the bar is so high, the same argument of nuisance could be applied to any number of activities that some may regard as annoying.

You appear to be saying smokers are congregating outside of shopping malls- in all my years in Bangkok I never saw that.  Then at markets, but I was in JJ market a year back and have to take special safety note because I have a young child, yet I don't recall seeing a smoker- perhaps there were by the toilets but I can't say for sure. Out on the street, hardly worth noting.

Meanwhile cars pass on mass.

So let's take a real life example, Bill absent-mindedly strolls in to his ground floor car park with lighted cig. in hand. He is reminded, or comes to his senses, walks back and stubs it out.  No harm done- what's the big deal?  Meanwhile, of course, Bob, a resident, might come down to the car park and start his car, which pumps out exhaust fumes far above the scale of Bill's indiscretions . Can you see what I'm saying?

Bill understands, it's life,  but Bob isn't so philisophical, and rails at Bill for being so inconsiderate.

20 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

I'm vegan and haven't missed a work day 22 years, perfectly healthy lifestyle. I go to the gym or run 5 or 6 days a week, so diet clearly is not an issue for vegans.

Smoking is a habit that causes illness and death, not only for the smoker but those unfortunate to be also breathing in their poison.

It's nothing to do with political correctness, but a realisation that the tobacco companies lied for decades about their research into their product and it is a dangerous, addictive habit.

Smoke away smokers but do it away from the rest of us. Don't impose your poison upon us.

Oh and by the way, not smoking has never been considered politically incorrect.

Here is the truth. There are not many legitimate reasons people are allowed to smoke in public around others. If anybody has some, I am all ears. Just keep in mind, deflecting and saying "because people drive cars" is not a reason to allow smoking in public. That is like saying "my leg itches" as a response to a question about Dolphins. Your leg has nothing whatsoever to do with the topic. 

Here is the reason why smoking is still allowed in public. It is the only explination/reason. When cigarettes first came out, nobody knew how bad they were. Watch an episode of the original "The Fugituve". The doctor smokes like a fire in the series. People just did not know smoking was bad for you, and they certainly did not know it was bad for others. 

Now we have the knowledge though. And, the only reason people are allowed to smoke in public is because it is difficult to take something away from people they have been doing all their lives. But, we know now that it must be done, and it probably will be is the truth. 

2 minutes ago, direction BANGKOK said:

Here is the truth. There are not many legitimate reasons people are allowed to smoke in public around others. If anybody has some, I am all ears. Just keep in mind, deflecting and saying "because people drive cars" is not a reason to allow smoking in public. That is like saying "my leg itches" as a response to a question about Dolphins. Your leg has nothing whatsoever to do with the topic. 

Here is the reason why smoking is still allowed in public. It is the only explination/reason. When cigarettes first came out, nobody knew how bad they were. Watch an episode of the original "The Fugituve". The doctor smokes like a fire in the series. People just did not know smoking was bad for you, and they certainly did not know it was bad for others. 

Now we have the knowledge though. And, the only reason people are allowed to smoke in public is because it is difficult to take something away from people they have been doing all their lives. But, we know now that it must be done, and it probably will be is the truth. 

Do you mean out on the street? If so, because it doesn't effect me, and can't hurt me.  Why would I possibly be bothered?

Perhaps much of the hysteria stems from a growing number of people suffering allergy/asthma type symptoms particularly in cities like Bangkok and Chiang Mai.  it's something I suffered from, still do when my city experiences elevated smog levels.  An unfortunate consequence is that one becomes overly sensitive to just about any airborne irritant.

I suppose the smog is invisible whilst the smoker isn't.  However, undoubtedly air pollution is the underlying problem, not the smoker passing by.

I note that one of the most vociferous proponents of ban smoking outside, happens to live in Chiang Mai. Need more be said...

2 hours ago, superal said:

Smoking bars & non smoking bars , is that beyond the wit of man ?

For sure there is a conflict of interest from the government i.e. If they were so concerned about public health there would be a total ban on smoking but if they chose to impose that they would be billions of Baht down on the loss of tobacco tax revenue .

I do believe that the police will act on this new law when it is live because it will be easy pickings . No doubt there will be posters to inform the public ? however I can see many a tourist after having a few drinks , forgetting the restrictions & lighting up within the non smoking zone . This is going to annoy many Chinese tourists who are renown smokers just at the time when the Thai government are trying to win them back .

"Smoking bars & non smoking bars , is that beyond the wit of man ?"

Quite, this would be the easiest solution when it comes to bars and pubs - but the 'do as we tell you' govt. officials like to show their power/increase their fiefdom by enforcing their laws on everyone....

"For sure there is a conflict of interest from the government i.e. If they were so concerned about public health there would be a total ban on smoking but if they chose to impose that they would be billions of Baht down on the loss of tobacco tax revenue ."

Another accurate point that explains why smoking hasn't been banned.  Too much money involved for both the various govts., and extremely wealthy companies...

But we're deflecting from the topic at hand, which is the extremely ridiculous and pointless proposed new law.

As pointed out by another poster, you can pretty much guarantee that zero Thais will pay any attention to this possible law or, if it comes into force, be fined - only tourists and possibly 'expats'.....

4 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Indoor areas not in whore bars and not in Pattaya?  Not many at all 

They all smoke wherever I go, sure I'm not in Pattaya and most of the places are indoors.

It's funny as the europeans now appear to be conditioned to go outside and smoke, even when the owners are handing out ash trays inside and other people are sitting there smoking.

9 hours ago, hobz said:

I see your points, can't have laws like that. But in reality this is how most smokers do it, they walk away from people, and if people come they put it out or they walk further away. At least that's how I did it when I used to smoke, and i've seen other operate in the same fashion. It's a matter of showing respect and consideration, something that most people have naturally, but for some people it needs to be enforced with laws. Since laws are not as flexible they tend to hit both good and bad.  

I understand your attitude  and appreciate your consideration, but you and me both know that not all are as considered, Unfortunately some people have to be forced to do the right thing.

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

They all smoke wherever I go, sure I'm not in Pattaya and most of the places are indoors.

It's funny as the europeans now appear to be conditioned to go outside and smoke, even when the owners are handing out ash trays inside and other people are sitting there smoking.

I’m in Bangkok and it’s extremely rare indoors as it should be. I can’t think of any hotels or places on Silom or Suk that allow it. I’m not really in small hole in the wall places ever. 

56 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

I’m in Bangkok and it’s extremely rare indoors as it should be. I can’t think of any hotels or places on Silom or Suk that allow it. I’m not really in small hole in the wall places ever. 

And it would be the same if you went to a shopping Mall, supermarket, coffee shop, museum, cinema, sports centre, university,and I think some parks too.  I don't recall for that matter I saw any intrusive smokers in Khao San Rd.

Which leads one to question the nature of the places where others are experiencing difficulties.???? 

8 hours ago, mommysboy said:

We live in different locations. You are describing a place and occurrence that I simply never see even though I live in a Thai city.

Remember we're talking outside here. 

If the bar is so high, the same argument of nuisance could be applied to any number of activities that some may regard as annoying.

You appear to be saying smokers are congregating outside of shopping malls- in all my years in Bangkok I never saw that.  Then at markets, but I was in JJ market a year back and have to take special safety note because I have a young child, yet I don't recall seeing a smoker- perhaps there were by the toilets but I can't say for sure. Out on the street, hardly worth noting.

Meanwhile cars pass on mass.

So let's take a real life example, Bill absent-mindedly strolls in to his ground floor car park with lighted cig. in hand. He is reminded, or comes to his senses, walks back and stubs it out.  No harm done- what's the big deal?  Meanwhile, of course, Bob, a resident, might come down to the car park and start his car, which pumps out exhaust fumes far above the scale of Bill's indiscretions . Can you see what I'm saying?

Bill understands, it's life,  but Bob isn't so philisophical, and rails at Bill for being so inconsiderate.

See your points. 

Car exhaust sucks but is tolerated for now... Because cars gives us so much.

Other annoying stuff being illegal? yes, there are for example noise regulations (also unenforced).

I see your points, one smoker smoking anywhere outside will not bother almost anyone except someone that is allergic to smoke. 

But a group of 4-5 smokers and it's a whole other level immediately.

These laws (if enforced) will hopefully only be used when they are actually needed.

I think governments should give smokers a challenge. If cigarette butts are cut by some percentage every year as collected litter, then the smoking in public bans remain more relaxed. 

If the litter continues near the same rates, smoking is banned eveywhere in public. What this does is it would temper any arguments about the bans if they could not make the cut. 

I think it is win win. If smokers actually do what they should be doing and taking care of their own responsibility, they will get what they want. So will others to some extent, butts being gone would be great for eveyone. If smokers don't make their litter quota, they only have theirselves to blame and everyone wins. 

2 hours ago, hobz said:

See your points. 

Car exhaust sucks but is tolerated for now... Because cars gives us so much.

Other annoying stuff being illegal? yes, there are for example noise regulations (also unenforced).

I see your points, one smoker smoking anywhere outside will not bother almost anyone except someone that is allergic to smoke. 

But a group of 4-5 smokers and it's a whole other level immediately.

These laws (if enforced) will hopefully only be used when they are actually needed.

When the smoking war is finally won then they will come for the motorists,they have started on the wood burning stoves in cities and the fireworks are getting on everyone's nerves they are on their way out.It will be great and as a bonus it will give me a laugh when all the gammons appear on question time.

While I think any laws protecting the public from noxious second hand smoke are good, they have to be enforceable. In Samui though it is technically illegal to smoke in restaurants, everyone smokes anywhere they want. Will the RCD (revenue collection dept. aka RTP) do any enforcement? Not exactly their specialty. 

UPDATE

New guidelines prevent smoking within five meters of a no smoking sign

PNSOC611108001005701.png

BANGKOK, 9th November 2018 (NNT) – A new declaration has mandated that those found smoking within five meters of a no smoking sign will now be subject to at least a 5,000 baht fine. 

Full story: https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1067356-new-guidelines-prevent-smoking-within-five-meters-of-a-no-smoking-sign/

I think this would be a good thing if enforced. I used to enjoy sitting in the outdoor section of pubs to get some atmosphere, people watch, have a chat etc. I prefer it to the echoing noise, TV's and freezing air con inside.

Now however, it is basically a smoking section. Either the smokers sit out there and puff away, or patrons from inside come out every 5 minutes to furiously puff away before going back into the air con stinking of smoke so I end up going inside.

I used to smoke and was always pretty considerate of non-smokers but unfortunately a lot of smokers don't give a toss if your meal has just arrived, they'll sit/stand a metre away and spark up - not even making an attempt to blow smoke the other direction. So feckem they can go down the street as far as I'm concerned. 

5 hours ago, adammike said:

When the smoking war is finally won then they will come for the motorists,they have started on the wood burning stoves in cities and the fireworks are getting on everyone's nerves they are on their way out.It will be great and as a bonus it will give me a laugh when all the gammons appear on question time.

Yeah, once EVs are equal or better than gasoline cars in every way there's no excuse to not heavily tax gasoline cars. I don't think they will be forbidden soon. Just heavily taxed.

14 hours ago, HooHaa said:

Pray tell me how these are linked. 

because the only way that I can call it grass is if I can smoke it.  Anything else is not grass just another chemical.

So less people smoking anywhere then less people smoking grass.  Supposedly.

For those saying this is unenforceable:  Thanks to a long history of passive-aggressive management style, Thai's dutifully obey signage as long as it's not a speed limit sign.  I've had people stop me from carrying food out of cafeterias because there was a sign posted (in Thai) saying "no eating out side of the cafeteria".  

If you see any Thai smoking in a non-smoking area, just look at the no-smoking sign and then frown (not too harshly though!) at the smoker. They will feel a haunting shame that will stay with them for weeks.

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

While I think any laws protecting the public from noxious second hand smoke are good, they have to be enforceable. In Samui though it is technically illegal to smoke in restaurants, everyone smokes anywhere they want. Will the RCD (revenue collection dept. aka RTP) do any enforcement? Not exactly their specialty. 

'everyone smokes anywhere they want.'

Oh really.  

Regardless, if the latest news reports about legalising e-cigarettes in Thailand proves true, then we have a sustainable solution.  Smokers can then have no complaint, and the complainers can shut up going on about what amounts to a largely non existent and petty social annoyance.

19 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

'everyone smokes anywhere they want.'

Oh really.  

Regardless, if the latest news reports about legalising e-cigarettes in Thailand proves true, then we have a sustainable solution.  Smokers can then have no complaint, and the complainers can shut up going on about what amounts to a largely non existent and petty social annoyance.

They are complaining already about e-cigarettes, nowadays smokers are the village idiots of the PC brigade, next they'll blame wars and global warming on us, while happily swallowing pesticides and breathing exhaust fumes :tongue:

2 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

They are complaining already about e-cigarettes, nowadays smokers are the village idiots of the PC brigade, next they'll blame wars and global warming on us, while happily swallowing pesticides and breathing exhaust fumes :tongue:

Well, you managed to get some of that correct:

"...nowadays smokers are the village idiots..."

2 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

These are the people who hate the fact they can't control others. Usually end up as bureaucrats in Nakhon Nowhere where they torture the poor individuals that step in. In the good old times, as they say in Finland, they would've been taken behind the sauna.

9 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I think this would be a good thing if enforced. I used to enjoy sitting in the outdoor section of pubs to get some atmosphere, people watch, have a chat etc. I prefer it to the echoing noise, TV's and freezing air con inside.

Now however, it is basically a smoking section. Either the smokers sit out there and puff away, or patrons from inside come out every 5 minutes to furiously puff away before going back into the air con stinking of smoke so I end up going inside.

I used to smoke and was always pretty considerate of non-smokers but unfortunately a lot of smokers don't give a toss if your meal has just arrived, they'll sit/stand a metre away and spark up - not even making an attempt to blow smoke the other direction. So feckem they can go down the street as far as I'm concerned. 

"unfortunately a lot of smokers don't give a toss if your meal has just arrived, they'll sit/stand a metre away and spark up"

I'm an ex smoker too, and I find that the smokers you describe above are a rarity. In the UK it wouldn't be allowed in a restaurant anyway, and here it seem to be accepted that if it's an outside restaurant (beach etc) then it's OK - which I agree with as the smoke soon dissipates. Smoking in an indoor restaurant is frowned upon, except at the end of the night when everyone has stopped eating.

Archived