Imported prescription drugs

sandyf

I went along to the university hospital at Bang Saen yesterday to get a new prescription, saw the doctor within 5 minutes of arriving, that was a first. Another first was when he gave me the new prescription he also handed me a letter.

When we got outside I asked my wife what it was about. She said as far as she could make out there was a new regulation that doctors must prescribe local drugs, not sure if by that she meant generic. If the doctor prescribes an imported drug, possibly meant 'branded', then the doctor must sign a declaration as to why that is the case, and that was the letter I had been handed. Apparently on the declaration there are 6 conditions for such a case and the patient must satisfy 2 of them.

I was already on Apixaban(Eliquis) but only time will tell if this will deter doctors from prescribing certain medication.

There are a number of drugs at government hospitals where doctors must provide a certificate to the pharmacy to prescribe. It is part of their efforts to ensure rational prescribing and cost containment. Don't worry about it.

In the case of a drug like Eloquis there is no local brand so it is a non-issue.

16 hours ago, Sheryl said:

There are a number of drugs at government hospitals where doctors must provide a certificate to the pharmacy to prescribe. It is part of their efforts to ensure rational prescribing and cost containment. Don't worry about it.

In the case of a drug like Eloquis there is no local brand so it is a non-issue.

Something has changed as first time that has happened and my wife said it was new, purely informational.

Certainly not worried, been here over 10 years and sourcing medication has never been a problem.

Archived