Counting The Jews In Thailand

Jingthing

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my observation I would conclude that circumcision is rather rare here, anyway among the buddhists.

It may not be for long :)

The generosity and kindness of the Bill & Melinda Gates along with funding support from the Clinton Foundation ($50million USD) has a circumcision project going strong in Africa. Population Services International was given the mandate to carry out the project with the full support of UNAIDS. The African effort is the one upon which local efforts will be modeled. The hurdle to be overcome will of course be the local cultural aspect, but a great many health providers have received the info and there has been training to bring folks up to scratch. It's coming despite the objections of some European NGOs. Maybe if they funded some of the public health services, their opinion would count. In any case, I liked the way the Malaysian health folks told the Europeans to bugger off. It would go faster if the Thais would stop thinking this was a "muslim" thing.

There's at least one Jew in Malaysia . . . and as for the government's stand towards Israel . . . it is weird as they do recognise it as a country . . . it even states in their passports that Malaysian citizens must not visit Israel . . . and the Mad Doctor Mahatir was there once . . .several weapons batteries are sourced from Israel etc etc etc etc

Yiddish . . . great dialect. My eldest daughter's God-Mother spoke perfect Yiddish, Kraiz mi . . . she's dead now but lots of fun

There's at least one Jew in Malaysia . . . and as for the government's stand towards Israel . . . it is weird as they do recognise it as a country . . . it even states in their passports that Malaysian citizens must not visit Israel . . . and the Mad Doctor Mahatir was there once . . .several weapons batteries are sourced from Israel etc etc etc etc

Yiddish . . . great dialect. My eldest daughter's God-Mother spoke perfect Yiddish, Kraiz mi . . . she's dead now but lots of fun

You also have to remember that there are different dialects of Yiddish. Funniest thing ever is watching grandparents who come from different parts of the world and speak with different dialect.

Each one tells each other off for speaking wrong. From what i been told Yiddish is a spoken language, it does not have reading or writing. is that correct?

Yiddish is a rapidly dying language for obvious reasons, the Shoah and also the fact that Israel chose Hebrew over Yiddish. That made sense for many reasons, as of course Israel is for all Jews, not only Ashkenazim Yiddish tradition Eastern European ones. It of course still lives in the remaining speakers, in academia, and in Kletzmer music. When it was more of a living language there was a very rich literary and theatrical tradition (in Europe, the USA, and I imagine some other areas as well) in the Yiddish language. I reckon over time the language will live in the same way Ancient Greek lives. Probably the most enduring influence, however, will be how much American English was influenced by Yiddish. I think it would be very rare to find a native Yiddish speaker who isn't quite elderly.

http://www.yiddishbookcenter.org/

Edited by Jingthing

Yiddish is a rapidly dying language for obvious reasons, the Shoah and also the fact that Israel chose Hebrew over Yiddish. It of course still lives in the remaining speakers, in academia, and in Kletzmer music. When it was a living language there was a very rich literary and theatrical tradition (in Europe, the USA, and I imagine some other areas as well) in the Yiddish language. I reckon over time the language will live in the same way Ancient Greek lives. Probably the most enduring influence, however, will be how much American English was influenced by Yiddish.

http://www.yiddishbookcenter.org/

Hmm interesting. My grandmother was from Romania and grandfather from Lithenia. Both spoke totally different dialects and from what i can remember they told me there was no writing, as it was only spoken language.

Last week I visited my local Thai noodle stall. While eating my lunch, I asked the Thai owner; do you have any Thai Jews in Thailand? He replied; no, but we have orange Jews, lemon Jews and some grapefruit Jews.

Edited by BigWheelMan

Last week I visited my local Thai noodle stall. While eating my lunch, I asked the Thai owner; do you have any Thai Jews in Thailand? He replied; no, but we have orange Jews, lemon Jews and some grapefruit Jews.

There has go to be at least one or two Thai Jews from intermarriage or some other freak occurrence.

Edited by Jingthing

There has go to be at least one or two Thai Jews from intermarriage or some other freak occurrence.

I think we need to make a distinction between the 2 terms

1. Being jewish religion

2. Being jewish by birth

Anyone can covert to Judaism, and i am sure there are many Thai Jews in this sense.

I have met 1 Thai girl, who was Jewish(by birth) but religion wise Buddhist.(she was 100% Thai)

There are also many people who are 50/50 but mother is Jewish, making them Jewish.

One of my friends is mother Jewish and father Thai, so he is a Thai Jew, born in Thailand, looks 90% Thai

Edited by kuffki

Sorry, Jingy, but you don`t have a clue.

There are many ex-pats living in Thailand, who are either Jewish or have a Jewish ancestor somewhere.

But it`s irrelevant to them, they don`t record the fact and most are just considered the same as any other average old Farang.

So of course those that have married Thais, their children do have Jewish blood.

Most of us will find a Jewish ancestor if they delve back into their family tree far enough.

No one really knows how many Thailand ex-pats of Jewish ancestry are living here, or care. Even the Jews themselves don`t care, so the figure quoted of 199 is totally irrelevant and probably way out statistically.

All is explained in this Utube video:

Actually, it is very difficult to convert to Judaism. There is no interest in recruiting people and you have to work hard at it to complete the process. Usually converts are spouses in mixed marriages. The easy path is being born Jewish. As far as intermarriage to Thais, the Thai partner would for the most part be female, so the children wouldn't be born Jewish that way. I wasn't talking about expat Jews when I was talking about Thai Jews, but rather people who are ethnically Thai or part Thai who are Jewish. Jews in Thailand, obviously a different thing than Thai Jews. As far as caring or not caring, I agree it isn't a big deal either way.

One of my friends is mother Jewish and father Thai, so he is a Thai Jew, born in Thailand, looks 90% Thai
Great! I knew there had to be at least one. All is well in the world now. Edited by Jingthing

Obviously, not so many are interested in this subject, but who cares, some are. Jews are a widely stereotyped people, and some people do find it fascinating to learn about finding Jews in unexpected places. Black Jews of Ethiopia, Asian Jews of China, Indian Jews in India, Argentinian Gaucho Cowboy Jews. So the idea of Thai Jews fits in that vein. If you don't like, don't read.

I find this thread very fascinating quite obviously because I happen to be Jewish and as well married to a Thai women. I currently live in the States but plan to retire in Thailand very shortly, my wife and myself already have two homes in preparation. Now I am not religious so keeping kosher will not be an issue nor do I have a need to visit any house of worship. I do keep traditions occaisonally only out of respect for the past and maybe its my way of honoring my mother and father. I have been married to my wife for twenty years now and have spent a month out of every year in Thailand for the last nine years. Now this is not exactly living in Thailand so I am not experienced but only can learn from what I read, and one of my concerns is with safety, my wife said not to tell anybody that I am a Jew, but I believe that is rediculous not that I would shout it out to the world but it is part of my heritage as well as being honest about who I am. Now even if I wanted to take my wifes advice I am not sure how I can do that conciously the way I talk and gesture anybody that is familiar with Jews will know I am a Jew. I never had any problem in Thailand where ever I went in Thailand whether it was up North, South NorthEast etc. but living there is different from being on a vacation and my wife is quite paranoid after 911.

Again I find this thread very interesting

I wouldn't broadcast it in Muslim areas of Thailand.

Don't see why not JT. Its not the Middle East here. Some of the Southern Thai muslims have a beef with the Thai government but not the same as the Middle East here by a long way. Or Indonesia either.

Don't see why not JT. Its not the Middle East here. Some of the Southern Thai muslims have a beef with the Thai government but not the same as the Middle East here by a long way. Or Indonesia either.

Get real. Muslims in general have a problem with Israel, and of course Jews are going to be associated with Israel. I got some very hostile reactions in Malaysia from Muslims just for being American; it wouldn't have shocked me if there was a violent reaction if they knew I was Jewish. Edited by Jingthing

Get real. Muslims in general have a problem with Israel, and of course Jews are going to be associated with Israel. I got some very hostile reactions in Malaysia from Muslims just for being American; it wouldn't have shocked me if there was a violent reaction if they knew I was Jewish.

Couldn't be further from the truth on Koh Lanta for sure. :)

Unless you are a Jew in Thailand and you have a lot of experience telling Thai Muslims you are Jewish, I think you really don't know what you are talking about. You may be right that it would rarely be a problem, but you don't know that.

"Only" 199 jews in Thailand? Well, I do think there are more of them. Anyway, I do think that 199 jews are 199 too many. They should stay where they belong, and that is in Israel (If we are talking about Israeli jews presently in Thailand). Thailand is such a good place/good people, so why should Thailand have the jews coming? Some may think I'm a racist, but that is totally wrong. The jews always creates problems in the world........

"Only" 199 jews in Thailand? Well, I do think there are more of them. Anyway, I do think that 199 jews are 199 too many. They should stay where they belong, and that is in Israel (If we are talking about Israeli jews presently in Thailand). Thailand is such a good place/good people, so why should Thailand have the jews coming? Some may think I'm a racist, but that is totally wrong. The jews always creates problems in the world........

You're right, snookums, you are a racist. Back in your hole, please. Like I said before, a portion of expats are antisemitic, but you will find that everywhere, so no special reason to avoid Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

Well JT i can only hope posters like the one above are in the minority both in Thailand and worldwide. But I believe for most individuals in the south of Thailand could care less about your religion and care more for their people and their governance and preservation of tradition rather than religious faith.

Taking care to respect local customs and beliefs also helps to break down these barriers of course. :)

You're right, snookums, you are a racist. Back in your hole, please. Like I said before, a portion of expats are antisemitic, but you will find that everywhere, so no special reason to avoid Thailand.

As I said, I am not a racist and I will never be! I just came up withfacts that the jews have been creating problems (continously) and they will never stop (until something really drastic happen to them :) ). The only support they get is from USA (where else?). Thailand is a country that do not deserve to have them coming. Keep Thailand happy as it is, do not pollute it.

No, it's the people who don't like Jews who create the problems. Like any minority group they get blamed for other people's bigotry.

Unless you are a Jew in Thailand and you have a lot of experience telling Thai Muslims you are Jewish, I think you really don't know what you are talking about. You may be right that it would rarely be a problem, but you don't know that.

ummm........So by the same token unless you are a Jew in LOS telling Muslims you are a Jew in LOS...Then you also do not know what your talking about..

Your not anti Muslim are you? Since you pigeon holed them all I thought you might be......

Edited by flying