‘Be 1st Smart TPN Mastercard’ launched

‘Be 1st Smart TPN Mastercard’ launched

By The Nation

Bangkok Bank, the Thai Payment Network (TPN) and Mastercard have launched the ‘Be 1st Smart TPN Mastercard’ debit card that will cater to the lifestyles of modern consumers who like to shop online, while promoting Thailand’s move towards a cashless society.

The card boasts a stringent security system with free SMS notifications for purchases of Bt300 or over. Bangkok Bank is confident that the introduction of the card will help maintain its position as a leader in Thailand’s debit card market.

Bangkok Bank Executive Vice President and Credit Card Division Manager Shoke Na Ranong said the card can be used to pay at shops with the TPN symbol, those in the Mastercard network, and also for online purchases, both domestically and internationally.

In addition, the card also features a contact-less payment system which allows users to make payments by waving it at an Electronic Data Capture (EDC) machine without the need to swipe.

The card was developed with an integrated security system that features an embedded chip to prevent credit card fraud. Card-users can safely make transactions at both ATM and EDC machines using their 6-digit PIN verification. Users will get peace of mind with free SMS notifications when spending Bt300 or more so they can keep track of their card usage at all times.

“Consumer behavior has changed dramatically. More people use digital channels to buy products and services online while using less cash. In 2017, the value of Thailand’s e-commerce market stood at Bt2.813 billion and is projected to reach Bt3 trillion in 2018 (data as of July 24 from Event Digital Thai Digital Asia – DTDA).

Bangkok Bank is offering special promotions for cardholders, including SF movie tickets for 88 baht per ticket, discounts up to 50% from Grab and up to 30% off from GuavaPass.

TPN General Manager, Vipawan Yongvikul, said that the company aims to grow the payment network to facilitate the use of debit cards for store purchases through this collaboration with new global partner Mastercard.  The key feature of the Be1st Smart TPN Mastercard is that it can be used by both swiping (contact) and waving (contactless), enabling easier and faster transactions.

Meanwhile Donald Ong, country manager for Thailand and Myanmar, Mastercard said, “Mastercard is delighted to partner with Bangkok Bank and the Thai Payment Network to launch the Be1st Smart TPN Mastercard. The co-branded debit product provides cardholders access to over 44.4 million Mastercard acceptance locations across the world. In addition to convenience, cardholders can enjoy peace of mind with embedded safety and security features such as EMV chip technology and 3D secure transactions for online purchases as well as unique privileges such as exclusive promotions from our merchant partners, both in Thailand and abroad. This initiative further underscores Mastercard’s commitment to provide safe, secure and seamless payments to further accelerate Thailand’s journey towards a cashless society.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30358183

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-11-8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

Bangkok Bank is offering special promotions for cardholders, including SF movie tickets for 88 baht per ticket, discounts up to 50% from Grab and up to 30% off from GuavaPass.

And if I download all my movies, have my own car and do not like Guava??????

7 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

What, no more Union Pay? The card that is accepted, well, nowhere.

Indeed.

I lost my Bangkok Bank ATM card several months ago, and when I went for a replacement card they told me that they no longer had any agreement with VISA for their debit cards and the Union Pay is all that I could get. and, as you say, the Union Pay card is useless.

Bangkok Bank lost a 14 year customer that day. I suspect that this new Mastercard will be a case of too little, too late for many customers like me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Then you lose out on the cards perks. Doh!

Which are please? Contactless or swiping? 6 digits to remember instead of 4. I did not see any perks in the OP.

Edited by wgdanson

7 hours ago, CarolinaJames said:

Got one today...400 baht

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The card cost is 100 baht and 300 baht annual fee.  So yes a first payment if 400 baht when I changed on Wednesday. IMPORTANT....However as my old union pay card annual fees of 200 baht were taken on October 31 I got a refund of 196 baht. When they took the old T Union card I also got a refund if 100 baht as I told them that is what they charged me when i got it. However it took some convincing ... It was good to show photographic evidence of where the old card had been declined including a burger king where the union pay logo was proudly displayed and true office where the bangkok bank official told me true should update their equipment and in the meantime I should pay by cash..   doh!. So a little painful but worth pushing. My new MasterCard worked in 2 stores yesterday BUT DECLINED at another refer to bank ( yes i had sufficient funds).

On 11/9/2018 at 10:11 AM, chrisinth said:

Was that a new account? I understood changing current cards to the new ones was free?

Mine was not a new account the card was being changed on an existing account .. FYI I have a Visa debit card with a second bank CIMB working well but limited branches...

• Like 1

On 11/9/2018 at 10:11 AM, chrisinth said:

Was that a new account? I understood changing current cards to the new ones was free?

IF you are prepared to stand your ground they will pay  you for your old card ( I got 100 baht) and refund proportion of the card fees ( based on a daily basis) .. just do not take old baloney from them !!

31 minutes ago, Dogbarker said:

Mine was not a new account the card was being changed on an existing account .. FYI I have a Visa debit card with a second bank CIMB working well but limited branches...

OK thanks for that. The ATM card I have at the minute is also Visa and valid until the end of 2023. I will call my branch tomorrow and see if they have the MC flavour available. Even though my current card is valid for ages, it is getting a bit tatty and does need changing. I was holding off because of the Union Pay option being the only option on the table; absolutely no use to me at all (with the current distribution of outlets that will accept it compared to Visa or MC).

Again, thank you very kindly for that info.

11 hours ago, chrisinth said:

OK thanks for that. The ATM card I have at the minute is also Visa and valid until the end of 2023. I will call my branch tomorrow and see if they have the MC flavour available. Even though my current card is valid for ages, it is getting a bit tatty and does need changing. I was holding off because of the Union Pay option being the only option on the table; absolutely no use to me at all (with the current distribution of outlets that will accept it compared to Visa or MC).

Again, thank you very kindly for that info.

Personally I would hold onto a tatty visa:-) but certainly mc better than TU.