Internet TV for Dummies

UniqueWord

Hello to all the blokes who get good TV content without the benefit (sic) of TrueVisions.
I've read some posts in the last few years about using Internet to do this, but have never bothered with it because for a long time, the Internet signal in our area was quite bad.
But now I see that I normally receive a good 4G signal (2-3 bars on the idiot panel), and I recently got word from AIS that there is an unlimited package available for 1,090 Baht/month.  Currently I pay 600 Baht/moth for 15 GB, then drop dead.
I'm not unfamiliar with digital tech; I was a dig h/w designer in 1979/81, and a system designer from 1981 to 2004. But I'm out of touch with current tech, having retired and not looked back for the last decade or so.
I'm also familiar with PC tech and have used MS Windows in it's many forms up to Win 7.
However I cannot understand Android, probably because I haven't tried that hard.  My wife has an Android phone (Samsung J2) which I don't like, as I don't like smartphones in general.  I don't have one and don't see the need.  Call me a dinosaur and you'd be correct.

To the point of this post, I would appreciate some words of wisdom on if I can be finally rid of True, by upgrading my AIS service to unlimited internet usage and acquiring an 'Android Box' to provide the interface to the TV.
Some relevant facts on my set-up:
The AIS signal from the tower at 2100MHz is interecepted by a TP-LINK device which broadcasts a WiFi signal locally and can serve up to 10 client devices.  Potentially there are 3 of these now, two PCs running Win 7 and my wife's J2.
My TV is a recent model LG 49" screen which has its own remote control and is supposed to be 'Internet ready', whatever that means.
If you have words of wisdom for me, please assume I know nothing about the tech which is currently available, but I do know how to connect two bits of wire together.
I've tried to find an internet TV for dummies section in the Audio/Video Forum but nothing showed up apart from posts containing refs to propriety name h/w and/or s/w which mean squat to me.
My goal is to find an alternative to True which gives me:
-  decent news programs e.g. Al Jazeera, NHK English, BBC, CNN
-  popular quality movies on demand
-  cartoon and disney channel for the kids
-  a variety of music, both continuous and selectable.

Above all, it should provide these services on what I would call a 'quality per Baht' grade of service which exceeds that which I get currently from True (not difficult).

I do realize there may be subscription charges associated with some or all of these services.

Cheers, UW.

I too am not tech savvy but when 3BB came into town last year I ditched True and bought an Android Box and happy with the result.Via a VPN I can now watch cable Foxtel and FTA channels from Oz and with an Taptv can watch hundreds of channels from UK , USA and others.Much more than what's available on True.

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You don't need an Android box,you can do everything on a Windows PC,

I have an Aroid box but just use it for watching channels on Mobdro,

most of streaming is done on Win 10 PC,as i find it easier to use,all

sites i watch from work, on android ,KODI many don't.

When streaming via HDMI cable to tv, find it best to use RJ45 cable

from router to PC,WiFi is not good enough in my opinion.

just Google streaming tv, have an add blocker enabled,don't use any

sites where you have to register.

regards worgeordie

If you're tech savvy enough to install an application on your Smart TV (It's the same as installing apps onto an Android phone) then no need for a box, just get an IPTV Streaming Service.

I use/recommend the one from these guys [email protected]... Annual fees are:-

• One connection with Live TV - VOD- Full Worldwide Sports  2500 Baht
  • Two connection  with Live TV - VOD - Full Worldwide Sports  3500 Baht
  • Four Connections  with Live Tv - VOD - Full Worldwide Sports 4500 Baht

... email them for a 24 hour free trial, can run it on Android (your TV), IOS or WIndowss

You do get more VOD content if you get an Android Box and these guys also sell them,  I've bought 2 from them (I needed 1 in Singapore which i had for 3 years & bought a new one for my condo in Bangkok) & recommend going for the Hi Media+ box which is a one-off cost of ~5,000 Baht and comes fully loaded (including a large selection of Thai content) with the best apps + access to their forum for support/updates for latest/new apps

PM me if you have problems getting in touch with them.

If you're not tech-savvy, subscribe to PulseTV and get a box which you attach to the TV. Then you can watch all the UK channels, some other foreign channels and lots of movies on demand. You'll need a reasonably fast internet connection too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

There are prepaid SIMs available  with unlimited data.

https://oilinki.com/blog/1-year-unlimited-data-sim-cards-thailand

It would be better if you could get  a high speed fiber connection  instead of the mobile signal

( I suppose you live out in the middle of nowhere ? )

AIS  have a TV service and free box bundle with its fiber internet http://www.ais.co.th/playbox/en/

ToT does too     http://www.totiptv.com/

you can even watch these  on a mobile phone,tablet or PC using a browser or phone app.

The other alternative is Satellite TV from  surrounding countries but  I imagine the costs would be higher.. Lao Satellite Tv package seemed reasonable with English language an Lao subtitles

or ASTRO Tv from Malaysia

given you need a large dish and to pay subscription and  receiver/decoder..there are very few  unscrambled English language channels left now.

7 hours ago, Spidey said:

I watch UK TV via a VPN. BBCi, ITV Hub, All4 and My5. All provide at least a month of catch up, which avoids haqving to watch a program in the middle of the night or forgetting to record it.

And get Bein Sport for Bht 199 a month and there's all your footie.

33 minutes ago, Stocky said:

+1

If you don't mind paying a little extra, take a look at the mini-PC options.

I use an Intel NUC (see Invade IT ) connected to a 50 inch Samsung TV on a 3BB 100/30 fibre connection (Bht 750/month) and Zenmate VPN. There's nothing I cannot watch.

Many thanks to all who gave me some useful info.  Because I am fundamentally lazy, I took the short option and contacted PulseTV for some tech info.  They jumped the gun a little and set me up with a 3-day trial account, even though I don't appear to have the necessary h/w in place yet! 555.  Anyway I have the option of chatting with their tech folks on-line.  Does anyone have any long-term experience of using Pulse?  The question arises because of the way their service is priced - there are significant cost savings associated with signing up for fairly long-term (12 month) service.

I remember one service provider who did this and went bust in a few months, leaving many high and dry.

Cheers, UW.

On 11/8/2018 at 11:13 PM, Spidey said:

I watch UK TV via a VPN. BBCi, ITV Hub, All4 and My5. All provide at least a month of catch up, which avoids haqving to watch a program in the middle of the night or forgetting to record it.

may i ask what VPN you use and do you have issues getting the bbc iplayer? i use IP vanish and can get itv and ch4 no problem but not the bbc iplayer...?

may i ask what VPN you use and do you have issues getting the bbc iplayer? i use IP vanish and can get itv and ch4 no problem but not the bbc iplayer...?

As Spidey I use a VPN for the UK sites he mentioned.
I use ExpressVPN, and have no problem connecting, just tested iPlayer on my phone.

9 hours ago, UniqueWord said:

Many thanks to all who gave me some useful info.  Because I am fundamentally lazy, I took the short option and contacted PulseTV for some tech info.  They jumped the gun a little and set me up with a 3-day trial account, even though I don't appear to have the necessary h/w in place yet! 555.  Anyway I have the option of chatting with their tech folks on-line.  Does anyone have any long-term experience of using Pulse?  The question arises because of the way their service is priced - there are significant cost savings associated with signing up for fairly long-term (12 month) service.

I remember one service provider who did this and went bust in a few months, leaving many high and dry.

Cheers, UW.

Pulse TV works ok but expensive.

On 11/9/2018 at 6:14 AM, worgeordie said:

You don't need an Android box,you can do everything on a Windows PC,

I have an Aroid box but just use it for watching channels on Mobdro,

most of streaming is done on Win 10 PC,as i find it easier to use,all

sites i watch from work, on android ,KODI many don't.

When streaming via HDMI cable to tv, find it best to use RJ45 cable

from router to PC,WiFi is not good enough in my opinion.

just Google streaming tv, have an add blocker enabled,don't use any

sites where you have to register.

regards worgeordie

Hello Worgeordie,

I recall you posted that you are using Browsec and can try for free. (sorry I cannot find that post again) I tried the free trial and top right corner of my laptop screen is showing icon Browsec UK but when I try BBC iplayer it says i need to be in the UK.

The laptop is pretty old like me, so do you know what could be going wrong?

Thank you.

3 minutes ago, james.d said:

Hello Worgeordie,

I recall you posted that you are using Browsec and can try for free. (sorry I cannot find that post again) I tried the free trial and top right corner of my laptop screen is showing icon Browsec UK but when I try BBC iplayer it says i need to be in the UK.

The laptop is pretty old like me, so do you know what could be going wrong?

Thank you.

Many of the free vpn's are not working any more, though I don't say there are none left that still work.

There are paid vpn's that have dedicated BBC Iplayer, Netflix and Hulu servers

11 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Many of the free vpn's are not working any more, though I don't say there are none left that still work.

Thank you for that info. Could you please recommend one for BBC iplayer or UK tv in general?

Yes, I tried various free VPN’s and had success getting on iPlayer for a while, then it seemed that they got wise and blocked access.

My recommendation would be to find a paid VPN , use their free trial to check it out and then shell out some cash. They are usually not expensive !

I did this with ExpressVPN and paid £78 (US$100) for 15 months, am happy with their service.

Note: shortly after I got mine Crossy posted that he uses another VPN and pays a lot less ( £48 a year I think).

On 11/8/2018 at 4:40 PM, gaviny said:

too am not tech savvy but when 3BB came into town last year I ditched True and bought an Android Box and happy with the result.Via a VPN I can now watch cable Foxtel and FTA channels from Oz and with an Taptv can watch hundreds of channels from UK , USA and others.Much more than what's available on True.

I don't know what I have in my condo (included in condo rent) but I get around 800 channels in many European, Middle Eastern, English, and Thai languages. Yes I do get USA cable TVs also. Not all but plenty. But I don't have any cable boxes or anything. 

5 hours ago, pastprime said:

Think Nord $2.99 a month

That's the 3 year package $107.55 for 3 years.

I'm currently on the NordVPN 2 year package for $95.75 - 3 years is a long time in Internet time, much can change, 2 years is plenty long enough.

The 1 year plan is $83.88, and the straight undiscounted monthly rate is $11.95.

On 11/12/2018 at 11:32 AM, pastprime said:

Have android box too,never use it.  Nord vpn cheap has p2p facility...I do bbc i player, UK lottery etc on it...MYP2P watch any prem league match live,but takes a min to get rid of pop ups  excellent  HD too plus F1 etc ,but YouTube good and Popcorn for movies

Camelot have made very clear that they won't pay if they rumble where you are even if paying by d/d from a uk account. An illegal immigrant or tourist on the other hand will receive the lot with barely a question asked if they play or otherwise come into possession of a ticket purchased in uk.

(I went down the FoI route some years ago & frankly couldn't believe it...)

HTH

Cheers, UW.
I'm coming to the end of my 2nd year with PulseTV and I've always paid 10k upfront. I plan to renew for another year, plus I may buy a second box. It's a professionally run service which, for me, is worth paying extra for.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, evadgib said:

Camelot have made very clear that they won't pay if they rumble where you are even if paying by d/d from a uk account. An illegal immigrant or tourist on the other hand will receive the lot with barely a question asked if they play or otherwise come into possession of a ticket purchased in uk.

(I went down the FoI route some years ago & frankly couldn't believe it...)

HTH

A normal VPN probably could be picked up,but I use P2P  or even a dedicated channel

Archived