Schoolkids escape injury in Sattahip 3-car pileup

Rimmer

Schoolkids escape injury in Sattahip 3-car pileup

image.png

SATTAHIP:--A van-full of Sattahip schoolchildren escaped injury when their school bus was sandwiched in a three-car pileup in Sattahip.

School van driver Supachai Kiatkuladechakorn, 56, was not as lucky. He suffered severe injuries to both legs and was trapped in the driver’s seat after the front of the Nissan van collapsed when it rammed into the rear of a 10-wheeled truck on Road 332 near Tungprong Temple. He was transported to Queen Sirikit Naval Medical Center for treatment.

The school bus also got rear-ended by a Toyota Vigo pickup truck driven by Chanapol Ngampradith, who was unhurt.

Patcharapol Kantamala, the 40-year-old driver of the Bangkok-registered 10-wheeler, said he slammed on the brakes after a pickup truck moving in the opposite direction entered his lane in a bid to overtake traffic.

The truck skidded for 20 meters and Supachai and Chanapol, traveling too close behind, had no time to stop.

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-11-09

22 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Patcharapol Kantamala, the 40-year-old driver of the Bangkok-registered 10-wheeler, said he slammed on the brakes after a pickup truck moving in the opposite direction entered his lane in a bid to overtake traffic.

And the real culprit probably got away scott free and blissfully unaware of the mayhem he caused.

Road 332 has no overtaking lanes and is quite hilly with many bends, and traffic is very much a combination of everything from motocycs to 18 wheelers, so it is usually very difficult to maintain a constant speed.

Another sorry example of the "me first" attitude of the driver of the overtaking pickup on the wrong side of the road.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jai Dee said:

And the real culprit probably got away scott free and blissfully unaware of the mayhem he caused.

Road 332 has no overtaking lanes and is quite hilly with many bends, and traffic is very much a combination of everything from motocycs to 18 wheelers, so it is usually very difficult to maintain a constant speed.

Another sorry example of the "me first" attitude of the driver of the overtaking pickup on the wrong side of the road.

I think the only driver not at fault is the lorry driver, clearly the mini van and the pick up drivers were travelling to close.

I hate driving behind box vans and HGV,s as I can not see ahead of them, I always give them extra room.