Thai Air Asia posts 655 million third quarter loss - fuel prices and lack of Chinese to blame

rooster59

10 hours ago, spiderzik said:
20 hours ago, Ossy said:

it's starting to look like Thailand and air-travel just don't sit well together.

you got the wrong airport but even so, how would " wobbly tarmac " effect profits ?

Re-read my post, spiderzik, and you'll get the drift that other aspects of Thailand's air-travel, besides Air Asia's worrying figures, are giving the country low marks across the air-travel field as a whole. Wobbly tarmac at the country's main airport isn't exactly an attraction to users . . . well, is it?

22 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Thai Air Asia posts 655 million third quarter loss - fuel prices and lack of Chinese to blame

Thai budget carriers' losses mount, shares tumble  

2018-8-10

After Asia Aviation Pcl <AAV.BK>, AirAsia Group Bhd's <AIRA.KL> partner in Thai AirAsia, reported a loss of 306 million baht ($9.21 million) for its April-June 2018 period versus a profit of 170 million baht a year ago that sent its shares down over 4%, Thai AirAsia planned to add more more routes between India and Southeast Asia in the next quarter to minimize the risk of depending on a major customer base (China I presume) in the region.

The airlines also planned to introduce a fuel surcharge could partly offset higher jet fuel prices.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1052285-thai-budget-carriers-losses-mount-shares-tumble/?utm_source=newsletter-20180811-0716&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

Good plans but practically ineffective within the span of one quarter without taking some serious and immediate "hustle" taking actions. The huge third quarter loss shows that those plans didn't and probably couldn't reverse Thai Air Asia's losses. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Were Air Asia a major airline in flying Chinese tour groups to Thailand? I had no idea.

I would have put the reliance on the Chinese market in this order 

1 - Siam Air

2 - New Gen

3 - Thai Lion Air  new B737 Max 9s ordered for China expansion

4 - Thai Air Asia they do have the option of transferrig assets to other parts of the group

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, AtoZ said:

Yep, they will collapse when the playing field becomes fair between China vs West

Easy to be pumping massive %% yearly growth when you cheat on every front.  

I agree.  

Shanghai Composite Index down 1 year, the world's worst performer this year and Chinese banks clamping down on lending to rein in surging debt.  Q3 GDP growth weakest since global financial crisis.  Should start to get interesting 2019.    

Edited by Nowisee
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, orchidfan said:

I think paying at 7/11 option only for domestic flights. Try booking an international flight and it's CC or online banking...latter of which is not easy for expats on extensions without work permits.

Also never had problems travelling with AA...usually on time, good cabin crew etc.

Only Emirates are cheaper and better BKK to HKG return by a long shot....baggage food wine movies etc.

Flies Bangkok -Kuala Lumpur route every month via AA and no problem paying at 7-11 at all in Bangkok. 

22 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Not forgetting Old Fatty's insulting remarks to the Chinese over the boat tragedy. There was a quick turn around and grovel after that brain snap. 

You have to have a brain for it to snap and he doesn't have enough years left to grow one !

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 1337markus said:

funny how its blamed on other issues never the airline?

Indeed , they never heard from ROOT CAUSE...  they also blame it on the Chinese whom don't come anymore but not on the why they don't come anymore. 

• Thanks 1

I know from 2 experiences with Thai Air Asia they put Chinese tourists before everyone else. I stopped using them a year ago and I wont use them again. They were good when they started and they have now turned into 3rd rate airline

23 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I'm still waiting to see how TAT put their spin on this:

Fantastic Phuket boat safety monitoring system now in place, giving all tourists unenviable piece of mind.

After considering the facts, deputy prime minister gives Chinese tourists the big thumbs up.

I doubt if we will hear from TAT.if we do it'll be all a misunderstanding and air Asia have got the figures all wrong.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, orchidfan said:

I think paying at 7/11 option only for domestic flights. Try booking an international flight and it's CC or online banking...latter of which is not easy for expats on extensions without work permits.

Thai Air Asia International flights can be paid for at Seven Eleven. Have done so many times including just last month.

I have flown all three and the main reason I stick with Air Asia is the flying times from my local airport which are better than Nok Air. We don't have Thai Smile at the local departure airport. I have used Thai Smile from Bangkok to Siem Reap, as well as Bangkok Airways.

I cannot say that I have any preference with these three mentioned airlines, in fact, Air Asia usually has the edge over Nok air and Thai Smile, on prices and flying times.

I have had slight delays with all three airlines but nothing overly significant, and always from Bangkok airports, Swampy and Don Muang.
I hate Air Asia, first off. I cannot remember the last time they actually departed on time, my flight from kop to DMk a few days back, was delayed as well, be it only about 15 minutes, but I have had delays with AA that were significantly longer then the actual flying time.

If you factor in the various fees and the baggage allowance they aren't really all that cheaper than Thai Smile or Nok.

Thai smile has the edge for me, they almost run a full fledge service at low prices. And they operate out of BKK for many of their flights, which for me is much easier to get to than DMk.

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

Ah the golden rush for Chinese to visit Thailand seems to of peaked.what with them being addicted to social media.the ones with the finance that have visited have probably relayed the stories of crap pricing and fleecing,danger of road,beaches,theft and the icing on the cake of the boat tragedy.if fuel amounts to 20% of the loses then there's 500 million baht of lost fares but that will include all countries.still the Chinese make up a good 30-40% of tourists and that's gotta hurt Thailand.i think the good times are over as they have slaughtered the golden goose.now they are reported to be looking at India as they are clutching at straws.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, kkerry said:

Thai Air Asia International flights can be paid for at Seven Eleven. Have done so many times including just last month.

We'll. ..when I went online. ..logged in as a Big Red member....on the payment page there was no option for paying at the 7/11. Only Credit card, direct bank debit, ATM payment or paying off in installments. Not even payment at the airport counter! !

I can only click on what's offered on the page in front of me!

2 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

We'll. ..when I went online. ..logged in as a Big Red member....on the payment page there was no option for paying at the 7/11. Only Credit card, direct bank debit, ATM payment or paying off in installments. Not even payment at the airport counter! !

Doesn't "paid for at Seven Eleven" imply making a physical payment at 7/11?

3 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Doesn't "paid for at Seven Eleven" imply making a physical payment at 7/11?

Yes I understand and have done this before for domestic flights. also AGODA has this payment option when I booked the Singapore hotel...where I could select this method, print off a voucher with barcode and shoot down to the 7/11 and pay in cash.

This just didn't appear on the AA payment page.

17 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Works only for flights originating in Thailand and it won't let you book and pay for a same day flight, booking must be be made at least 5 days before your travel date. I have a Big Red membership so I'm logged in when booking. I have used the Counter Service (pay @Seven) option for the last few years without issue.

Counter Service.jpg