Suwanaphum Taxi ~ Limo

Emilio

And the public taxis being located on level one is clearly marked also.

I'm increasingly of the view that thaivisa is divided into two distinct camps. Tjere are those who seem bewildered by the complexities of modern life, who are incapable of taking responsibility for navigating a course through that life, and who seem to think that everything they don't understand is a scam or a potential hazard, and that everyone is out to 'get them'.

And then there are the rational adults.

"Too tired to make a judgement," my a**e.

More like three camps. You forgot pompous, know it all, a@@holes who believe they are somehow superior to the masses.

I would think a "rational adult" would expect an honest response from a uniformed airport official in an international airport with police present and in view.

LOL . . And which category do you belong to, pumpuiman?

Be careful when you walk outside today, my old chap. There are people out to get you EVERYWHERE.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shocking!!! A transportation scam in a tourist destination! Who ever heard of such a thing? Thailand has got to be the only place on earth to discovered this ingenious way of fleecing tourist arrivals at airports. I far prefer the integrity of Kathmandu, Delhi, Phnom Penh, etc. where local people dedicate themselves to transporting people from the airport to their hotels at the lowest possible cost.

Letting the Taxi Mafia Touts into the Airport to scam arrivals is disgusting.

Am I suprised? No.

Agreed.

There was hope that this "World-Class" airport... this "Hub of Asia Air Travel"... this "Biggest" "Best" "Top Notch" and all the other superlative adjectives placed upon it wouldn't end up resembling the Calcutta Bus Station... but it certainly has.

It is what it is... a third world airport with hordes of touts scamming new arrivals.

Edited by sriracha john

Letting the Taxi Mafia Touts into the Airport to scam arrivals is disgusting.

Am I suprised? No.

This sums it up. All the posturing and fantasizing about Thailand being anything other than a third world country is futile. No one is surprised, simply because it is not only at the airport that devious greed permeates, it's everywhere, all the time, across all sectors of the society.

On my last arrival to the new airport, the four of us loaded with bags split a 1100 baht van to the Chidlom. What a convenience and so much cheaper than Los Angeles. Where is the scam? Other times I've taken meter cabs which are present in abundance as well. To each his own, lots of choices.

And this is different from every other country in the world how, exactly?

But let's get back to the core issue.

When you arrive at the airport you have several choices for transportation:

1) bus

2) private limo companies

3) public taxis

4) make your own personal arrangements.

I'm still struggling to see how that is different from any other country in the world. You are the consumer. As such, it is beholden on you to understand the choices you have (with pros and cons) and make the choice as a rational adult. It stands to reason, to me, that the most expensive choices are those that are the easiest to access - the limo companies. As they will pay a license fee to the airport, it also seems rational that the airport will make it easy for them to meet arriving passengers first.

Why is this so bad?

All the passenger has to do is say no or, if they are shy, walk on through. Noone puts a gun to anyone's head.

As another poster said, I would have thought all but the most dim passengers would AT THE VERY LEAST have done some advance research on how to get from the airport to their destination on their very first trip.

If they didnt . . well, frankly, they deserve what they get (which - let's face it - is still a very cheap ride into town by anyone's standards).

"But let's get back to the core issue.

When you arrive at the airport you have several choices for transportation:

1) bus

2) private limo companies

3) public taxis

4) make your own personal arrangements."

Unfortunatly, the "Limo" Drivers are misleading the arrivals and everybody knows it except a portion of arrivals, setting them up for a dissapointment.

Welcome to Thailand.

For novice travelers, it's one ripoff after another around here.

I was in the tour business and I heard it everyday from my customers. They often felt under siege, getting passed from one scam artist to the next.

Edited by The Skipper

For all those folks who believe that there is nothing dishonest going on at the airport, I issue this challenge.

When leaving the airport, ask a uniformed official (in English) where to get the most inexpensive taxi.

For those who are "struggling to see how that is different from any other country in the world" I think you will see the difference.

It is shameful that a tourists first glimpse of the kingdom is tarnished by lies and deceit.

I personally can not accept this behavior as "normal". I don't care how many other examples of this crap occur in the world, It should not be tolerated.

People accepting this sort of behavior only perpetuate it's existence.

Myself, I do research before traveling. I try to avoid this kind of thing if I can.

But I think of people like my 83 year old father who came to visit my wife's family last year. He would feel safe in an international airport, amongst uniformed officials and police.

Who's going to protect the elderly and infirm?

Or do they get what they deserve?

People who happen to miss that page of the guidebook...get what they deserve?

bullsh1t.

Dear brother,

If your 83 year old father asks a uniformed officer about transportation he will get a far better deal than he would back home and in my opinion, having used the service, it is very good. Yes, there are other alternatives, also great services! No need to get all grumpy about it!

So many airports without the touts have sweetheart contracts with transport companies leaving you with little choice of who to take into the city. As much as I hate that desperate throng begging for my business, at least I can bargin and find the best deal, rather than being stuck with someone who's right to screw me over is guaranteed in writing.

I'm grumpy at being told that a problem doesn't exist.

Now your argument is that even though you get ripped off, it's cheaper than a taxi at home?

So as long as I'm paying less than my home country I shouldn't complain about being lied to.

That's nice.

beautiful.

I'm all warm and fuzzy now.

Interestingly enough, there are warning signs posted when entering the baggage claim area at Suvarnabhumi Airport, placed there by the AOT themselves, cautioning passengers about using unauthorized ground transportation services (similar to the TAT-produced gem scam warnings that one sees from time-to-time). The AOT acknowledges the existence of this problem even if our own resident ThaiVisa airport touts do not. The question then remains why doesn't the AOT actually do something about removing these unauthorized operators from the premises? My assumption is that the unauthorized taxis/limos are allowed to operate with the palms-up cooperation of the AOT.

PS - It's been a couple of months since my last arrival at Suvarnabhumi so perhaps the aforementioned warning signs are no longer there.

Referring back 73 posts to the OP; I would submit that 1,200 baht to go to the Conrad is not a "good" price and falls into the realm of a "ripped off" price.

*edit*

oops... too popular a thread... This was in reference to mdeland's post and consequently means going back a few more than 73.

Edited by sriracha john

Interestingly enough, there are warning signs posted when entering the baggage claim area at Suvarnabhumi Airport, placed there by the AOT themselves, cautioning passengers about using unauthorized ground transportation services (similar to the TAT-produced gem scam warnings that one sees from time-to-time).

Ahh... so the AoT feels it's something worth warning new arrivals about? They don't say, "If you're ripped off, TOUGH" ???

The AOT acknowledges the existence of this problem even if our own resident ThaiVisa airport touts do not.

:o

The question then remains why doesn't the AOT actually do something about removing these unauthorized operators from the premises? My assumption is that the unauthorized taxis/limos are allowed to operate with the palms-up cooperation of the AOT.

A rather logical explanation as to why the so-called limos are allowed inside and the taxis are not.

PS - It's been a couple of months since my last arrival at Suvarnabhumi so perhaps the aforementioned warning signs are no longer there.

If they are... wonder if the AoT "payments" by the limo organizers were used as leverage to get them taken down. If they are not... then why not simply remove the touts at this "World-Class Facility?"

Give it up mdeland. Pumpuiman is enjoying being morally outraged too much for you to win with rational arguments.

Some people prefer to adopt the role of professional victim in life, don't you find?

Yes, guffaw, guffaw...quite right old chum (sip of brandy)...awfully emotional wouldn't you say. It must be breeding, yes thats it...eh?

blow it out your pompous arse.

Just what if the Limo service and the public taxi were at the same place at the arrival hall? Comments!

I just put up this post just to remind some of us, that there is a choice of trasportation. But for those who still prefer to take the limo service is fine. Of course if you compare the limo prices here to Europe, USA, or Japan, Bkk is way much cheaper. Still if you told the price of the public taxi, it would be a greater difference.

Just tell anyone coming, that the limo service would cost you so and so...if not then just go downstairs get the public taxi at the meter price. When someone comes to Thailand, I always ask them what service they want. Then let them choose!

Give it up mdeland. Pumpuiman is enjoying being morally outraged too much for you to win with rational arguments.

Some people prefer to adopt the role of professional victim in life, don't you find?

Yes, guffaw, guffaw...quite right old chum (sip of brandy)...awfully emotional wouldn't you say. It must be breeding, yes thats it...eh?

Nothing to do with breeding, pumpuiman. It's to do with attitude.

I'm working class white trash english, and ashamedly proud of it. Frankly, it was that kind of background that desensitized me to the 'victim mentality' that pervades modern life and is so prevalent here.

I'm tired of hearing people whining about scams when basic street smarts would protect anyone but the mentally retarded. I'm tired of hearing how everything is always someone else's fault, and never their own. I'm tired of the politically correct bullshit attitude that makes people write to complain that noone put up a sign saying you shouldn't take a luggage trolley on an escalator not built for it. I'm tired of people whining about visa changes, when it's completely easy to remedy them if people get off their chuffs and make an effort.

All of these things - all of this whining 'it's not me, it's them' attitude - is interlinked. They're all part of the same victim mentality; a mentality which frankly becomes more common everyday.

And frankly, it's embarassing to hear what I assume to be adults talking like it.

If that's offensive, I'm sorry.

Edited by bendix

Nothing to do with breeding, pumpuiman. It's to do with attitude.

I'm working class white trash english, and ashamedly proud of it. Frankly, it was that kind of background that desensitized me to the 'victim mentality' that pervades modern life and is so prevalent here.

I'm tired of hearing people whining about scams when basic street smarts would protect anyone but the mentally retarded. I'm tired of hearing how everything is always someone else's fault, and never their own. I'm tired of the politically correct bullshit attitude that makes people write to complain that noone put up a sign saying you shouldn't take a luggage trolley on an escalator not built for it. I'm tired of people whining about visa changes, when it's completely easy to remedy them if people get off their chuffs and make an effort.

All of these things - all of this whining 'it's not me, it's them' attitude - is interlinked. They're all part of the same victim mentality; a mentality which frankly becomes more common everyday.

And frankly, it's embarassing to hear what I assume to be adults talking like it.

If that's offensive, I'm sorry.

Well you might try getting your point across without the use of veiled insults to people who have a differing opinion.

Contrary to what you believe, you are not always right. Nor am I.

You started this insult tennis match. Have an opinion, that's fine. But don't insult those who disagree with you.

This is an internet forum. It's raison d'etre is to express opinions.

If I didnt think my opinion was right - and contrary ones were wrong - I wouldn't waste time posting. What, exactly, is the point of holding an opinion if you don't think it's right?

Please direct me to the veiled insults. Have I hurt someone's feelings?

Edited by bendix

This is an internet forum. It's raison d'etre is to express opinions.

If I didnt think my opinion was right - and contrary ones were wrong - I wouldn't waste time posting. What, exactly, is the point of holding an opinion if you don't think it's right?

Please direct me to the veiled insults. Have I hurt someone's feelings?

Some people choose to use the limo services because they don't want to wait in line for the regular taxis. It aint rocket science.
I'm increasingly of the view that thaivisa is divided into two distinct camps. Tjere are those who seem bewildered by the complexities of modern life, who are incapable of taking responsibility for navigating a course through that life, and who seem to think that everything they don't understand is a scam or a potential hazard, and that everyone is out to 'get them'.

And then there are the rational adults.

Be careful when you walk outside today, my old chap. There are people out to get you EVERYWHERE.
As another poster said, I would have thought all but the most dim passengers would AT THE VERY LEAST have done some advance research on how to get from the airport to their destination on their very first trip.

If they didnt . . well, frankly, they deserve what they get (which - let's face it - is still a very cheap ride into town by anyone's standards).

I think it's perhaps safer if these people stayed at home, wrapped up in cotton wool. You never know what might happen to people in the big bad world.

There are so many pitfalls; i barely know how they cope.

Your so full of yourself you don't even realize you are doing it, do you.

I worked 10 years as a bouncer, and I still have nightmares about having to have resorted to violence because some moron wouldn't listen to logic.

I bet your the sort that got punched a lot in your younger days weren't you?

Look back on your post history, your a prick in nearly all of them. You place yourself above others.

Are you making up for short comings in some other area of your life?

Now come back with your high and mighty intellectual response to belittle me, like you have done to so many others that disagree with you.

That's all I have to say, you pompous prick.

This thread reminds me of an American buddy a few years back who inherited millions at a fairly young age. One day I saw him getting off a motorcycle taxi yelling and swinging punches because the fare had gone from 5 baht to 7 baht!

I mean really, pumpuiman, how often do you really take a bus/cab/van/limo from the airport and does it really make a difference? Don't worry the rest of your life away about why Thailand, though so much cheaper than your home country, isn't even cheaper...

It is shameful that a tourists first glimpse of the kingdom is tarnished by lies and deceit.

I personally can not accept this behavior as "normal". I don't care how many other examples of this crap occur in the world, It should not be tolerated. But what are you going to do about it?

People accepting this sort of behavior only perpetuate it's existence. - But what are you going to do about it?

But I think of people like my 83 year old father who came to visit my wife's family last year. He would feel safe in an international airport, amongst uniformed officials and police. Didn't you or a family member meet him?

srirachjohn thinks its a rip-off. Solution - don't use it.

pumpuiman -"I worked 10 years as a bouncer, and I still have nightmares about having to have resorted to violence because some moron wouldn't listen to logic." You are the one not listening to logic.

Your so full of yourself you don't even realize you are doing it, do you.

I worked 10 years as a bouncer, and I still have nightmares about having to have resorted to violence because some moron wouldn't listen to logic.

I bet your the sort that got punched a lot in your younger days weren't you?

Look back on your post history, your a prick in nearly all of them. You place yourself above others.

Are you making up for short comings in some other area of your life?

Now come back with your high and mighty intellectual response to belittle me, like you have done to so many others that disagree with you.

That's all I have to say, you pompous prick.

But apart from all that, you generally agree with me, right?

:o

:D :D :D