Smoking Ban

esprit

I think many folks come to Thailand for the relaxed regulations and the fact that you are responsible for yourself.

Not taking responsibility for your own actions is the reason for the introduction of prohibitive, controlling government laws.

You are not only "responsible for yourself", you are also responsible for those around you. This is what most smokers fail to accept.

I can think back to the early days of air travel when smoking was permitted during flights. Flying to and from Thailand was misery for we non-smokers, irrespective of being seated in the non-smoking sections of the aircraft.

The airline companies realized that they couldn't protect non-smokers from second hand tobacco smoke so rather than face legal action they banned smoking altogether.

This same reasoning is the driving factor behind prohibiting smoking in certain areas, both indoors and outdoors.

The next step will to ban smoking on all public streets. Smokers seem to love lighting up whilst walking along busy footpaths. Non-smokers are forced to walk through plumes of their second hand smoke.

Again, this all boils down to smokers inflicting others with the spoils of their unhealthy habits.

Its PC people like your good self that are driving decent hardworking men and women out of Australia.. This is Thailand mate.. The land of the free.. Theres no place like home.. :o

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its PC people like your good self that are driving decent hardworking men and women out of Australia.. This is Thailand mate.. The land of the free.. Theres no place like home.. :D

"Land of the free? :D Not really m8... Don't confuse irresponsiblity and ignorance with freedom.

If it wasn't for abundant food, laziness, ineptitude, and sexually pliant women; this place would be a fascist state already. Smoking or non-smoking. :o

Its PC people like your good self that are driving decent hardworking men and women out of Australia.. This is Thailand mate.. The land of the free.. Theres no place like home.. :D

"Land of the free? :D Not really m8... Don't confuse irresponsiblity and ignorance with freedom.

If it wasn't for abundant food, laziness, ineptitude, and sexually pliant women; this place would be a fascist state already. Smoking or non-smoking. :o

True..

Good argument, Fruitt.

I am of the same mind, but just tend to adjust my position so I do not upset anybody else but want to make myself and my dogs comfy. And if I can share a laugh with someone, I'm even happier.

Share a laugh and a spliff Jet ... and then we'll eat ... pizza of course :D

Save the cigars for after tho :o

mmmm....can i come to the virtual restaurant, too? I'll share a laugh, but my spliffing and pizza days are done, so I'll sit upwind and try hard not to inhale. :D

You're more than welcome to join us Fruity but watch out for Miss J's snakes as they can get temperamental after the pizza :D

I smoked for most of my life, except for one 5 year period. I am 68 years old. I started when I was 11 or 12 years old. I quit last May using the Nicorette Chewing Gum. Works great. I only used the gum for a few days and then quit that too. At the time I quit I was smoking two plus packs a day. I have not even taken one drag from a cig since I quit and don't plan to. That is how you get hooked all over again.

As far as rights go, or, is smoking harmfull to yourself or to others. Cut the crap. I used the same arguments for years. Almost every post on here defending your rights to smoke or smoking dosen't hurt any one is pure bull...

You will feel as I do when you quit. IT WAS THE SMARTEST AND GREATEST THING I EVER DID FOR MY SELF AND MY FELLOW MAN.

True..

Your description here sounds like Germany. Lots of pliant Thai ladies here (costs a bit more though). And everything else fits too. Apropos smoking in LOS, if you must, pop into the Arab quarter in south Pattaya. You can sit there with a water pipe and fume to your heart's content. It's thanks to the exaggerated PC here that so many good earners (like me) are out of here and off to less rigid lifestyles.

• 3 months later...
Mighty Mouse is correct that smoking is a stupid, disgusting habit and should be banned altogether in the future, however, for years, society brainwashed people into thinking that that inhaling this poisonous, foul stench was somehow "cool" and attractive.

I feel that we need to slow down on prohibiting them in bars and and give the folks who bought the company line time to die off and the younger ones time to adjust to reality.

Cigarettes are not stylish; they are a dirty, nasty, waste of money and a waste of lives, but a lot of people are hooked already. We can't just expect them to stop cold turkey. :D

Thankee sai Uly. An example of a balanced and educated post.

smokers are anti social inconsiderate lepers

Thankee Sai Bloncs :bah: An example of the opposite to Uly's post above.

I find out more about what is going on at work from in the smoking room than I do in any meeting, I can get more things done by asking somebody in the smoking room.

Thank god for smokers.

:bah:

This I must agree with. In most cases, those who smoke do tend to congegrate and - yes! talk!

I have had a life long pet peeve of standing at a bus stop, or sitting in a work canteen, and there are others, some of whom may really enjoy a conversation, but everybody's too... too... too what exactly to speak to eachother.

I see that some Councils in the UK will now employ Anti-Smoking wardens who are empowered to photograph and fine smokers who are breaking the law. For me frankly I don't care whether the subject is smoking or anything else because it all boils down to an erosion of individual freedoms and an ever increasing nanny role of government. If the government decides to outlaw body odor will the UK one day have Smell Police inspections to see if individuals have showered and changed their underwear every day.

Yep, a part of our council tax is going towards paying this "smell inspectors".

What Chiang Mai says here, though, particularly his last sentence is striking.

As a (0.5) Brit who's recently returned after over ten years, I may possibly have a more striking view of the significant changes than those who've regulraly visited here.

I feel I can't walk out in the street without this nanny state watching over me. I can't piss three sheets to the wind without being issued a Urine Deposit Return form.

For after fifty odd years of our youth being told that repressive, controlling gov'ts are evil, guess where the buck has landed?

How is it we (UK, US, OZ, etc) can feel more free and certainly less restricted in countries like China, Russia, Korea, Vietnam, and many other nations in every continent than we do in our own countries??

I'm a smoker and I have no problem with bans in public areas. It helps me smoke less. :D

I do object to the way the Uk government treats us, legal users of a taxed drug. Don't forget that it IS a drug and users are addicts. The British government treats us legal users with contempt and yet will bend over backwards to help those addicted to illegal drugs. Even as far as giving them prescribed drugs paid for by the taxpayers.

The government rakes in a lot of revenue from tobacco and aren't brave enough to ban it altogether.

Why not ban the use of tobacco products for all people born before 2000. That way, theoretically the youngsters shouldn't get addicted - or would it make smoking more attractive?

This is another issue I take, er.. Issue with. The price has been raised absolutely ridiculously, under the guise of tax, and the restrictions on using this product are increasingly severe. When will they get over their hypocrisy and criminalise it? It is a shining example of the old adage of "money rules".

Either it's legal or it's not. Fukc off with the repressiveness of it all.

A smoker. Generally a very considerate one.

Now, as dennis leary said: We gave you non smoking sections in our restaurants and planes. Now you want it all?

Actually, I've already gotten used to smoking rooms, or going outdoors. This is in reasonable weather, acceptable. But not down the pub in a rainy country, man!!! Well, three weeks left in Blighty.

I'm going to smoke ten packs a day in every pub in the country before I go down, my friends.

elephant1wt0.gif

edit: BTW someone mentioned that the world is changing over to Hybrid cars?

:o:D :D Is it <deleted>! I'm a non-driver, and have never been one. Cars are evil incarnate dude. Not only the materials used to make 'em, and the materials used to run them, but also the costs involved are ridiculous. There is no justification for cars. I take offence at walking down a nice green field and having to breathe in fumes of passing diesel trucks on the road nearby. But I guess that would be a ridiculous discussion until the worlds authorities tell you to think otherwise.

Edited by kayo

I think many folks come to Thailand for the relaxed regulations and the fact that you are responsible for yourself.

Not taking responsibility for your own actions is the reason for the introduction of prohibitive, controlling government laws.

You are not only "responsible for yourself", you are also responsible for those around you. This is what most smokers fail to accept.

I can think back to the early days of air travel when smoking was permitted during flights. Flying to and from Thailand was misery for we non-smokers, irrespective of being seated in the non-smoking sections of the aircraft.

The airline companies realized that they couldn't protect non-smokers from second hand tobacco smoke so rather than face legal action they banned smoking altogether.

This same reasoning is the driving factor behind prohibiting smoking in certain areas, both indoors and outdoors.

The next step will to ban smoking on all public streets. Smokers seem to love lighting up whilst walking along busy footpaths. Non-smokers are forced to walk through plumes of their second hand smoke.

Again, this all boils down to smokers inflicting others with the spoils of their unhealthy habits.

Smokings a delight when compared to the sidewalk flem-gobbers. :o

But nobody has answered the question of CHOICE.

Why should a person who invests all their time, money and effort in a business not have a CHOICE in the policies of that business? They put a sign outside their pub/bar/restaurant "Smoking is/is not permitted inside these premises" then the potential customers have the CHOICE whether to enter or go someplace else. The person who runs the business is the one who succeeds or fails according to their personal CHOICE and that of their customers. Why are we so keen to let the government take away personal CHOICE?

Would you all be so keen if the government introduced an anti meat products law whereby it was illegal to eat meat or animal products in a public place? After all that fat produces cholesterol which is a mighty big killer and a drain on the health service and it causes obesity which makes it unpleasant to sit next to those fat b@st@rds on the plane.

The need to introduce legislation to curb any bad, unhealthy habits/practices, is made necessary by the actions of irresponsible and arrogant people....such as smokers, the majority of whom couldn't care less about the comforts/needs of others around them.

It's not just the smoke that makes life miserable for others, it's also the holes in clothing that occur when a drunken smoker brushes the tip of his/her cigarette against another person.

I've had a very expensive wool sweater ruined by burn hole caused by a smoker who walked through a crowded room not being mindful of the lit cigarette in his hand. :o

Smoking indoors will soon be banned in Australia as well. It can't come soon enough as far as I'm concerned.

Many of our beaches also have a smoking ban. Again, necessary from irresponsible smokers stubbing out and leaving their butts in the sand.

Smokers were dumb enough to take up the habit in the first place and are still too dumb to realize what damage to the environment can be caused by discarded cigarette butts entering storm water facilities that flow into the sea.

Smokers claiming to enjoy a cigarette are usually the ones who are too weak to kick the habit.

Feed your cravings inside your own homes if you must but not in public places....and don't make your own young children victims of your toxic fumes within their home environment.

Here he comes to save the day! It looks like Mighty Mouse is on the way. :D Seriously I heartily concur with you.

If someone wants to smoke, go ahead its your life, but smoking where it gets into my lungs, screws with my life, and therein lies the problem. As mentioned smokers seem to feel the world is their ashtray. Oh I know all readers that are smokers of thai visa are responsible smokers, and don't smoke around children, and nonsmokers. Don't throw their butts on the ground, er cigarette butts that is, and dispose of packaging matter properly, not like other smokers do.

But many smokers are just louts, with only their enjoyment taken into mind. I'd like to a nightclub and catch some live music, but cannot or rather will not enter a premise where smoking takes place.

I haven't seen close friends for many years play, as I just find smoke filled venues odious.

So go ahead smoke away from others, I support your right to smoke, but you have no moral right to harm or inconvience others.

I'm not a smoker, and don't particularly enjoy spending time in smoky environments but if I feel uncomfortable with it i do something really crazy - I decide whether or not I want to leave. It's amazing. The whole concept of freewill (given to me when I was issued with my brain and reinforced when I reached adulthood) is a wonderful thing and I never over the wonder of it.

Funnily enough, I can't ever recall being in a particularly smokey environment in Thailand - certainly not in a restaurant and I don't recall being overwhelmed by it on the (*ahem*) one or two times I've ventured out to a bar.

For the more vehement anti-smokers here, could I propose a motion that we make ThaiVisa a smoke-free zone?

I'm not a smoker, and don't particularly enjoy spending time in smoky environments but if I feel uncomfortable with it i do something really crazy - I decide whether or not I want to leave. It's amazing. The whole concept of freewill (given to me when I was issued with my brain and reinforced when I reached adulthood) is a wonderful thing and I never over the wonder of it.

Funnily enough, I can't ever recall being in a particularly smokey environment in Thailand - certainly not in a restaurant and I don't recall being overwhelmed by it on the (*ahem*) one or two times I've ventured out to a bar.

For the more vehement anti-smokers here, could I propose a motion that we make ThaiVisa a smoke-free zone?

:o What's that thing sticking out of your av mouth, Bendix?

I'm with Phil. If a venue allows smokers, let the people decide if they want to enter. And also true, the smoking areas at work always have the best people. My old CEO always jaunted down to the smoking stairwell to get our views.

Just a reminder for those going to the UK in the Summer and that is a smoking ban is due to come into force on 1 July. It covers virtually all enclosed public places including offices, factories, pubs and bars. But neither outdoor space nor private homes will be affected.

When or will it happen here do you think?

Already has ! in 04 i beleive,. but then again prostitution is illegal too ! :o Edited by mikethevigoman

buh bye dumspero.

Another misguided hit at "freedom".

Freedom to pollute the air I am going to breathe huh? Will you pay my hospital bill when I am in with one of the many illnesses you get from second hand smoke?

Stop using general pollution as an excuse, two wrongs does not make a right.

sounds like he may have smoked a proper cigarette before he wrote that ! :o

Good argument, Fruitt.

I am of the same mind, but just tend to adjust my position so I do not upset anybody else but want to make myself and my dogs comfy. And if I can share a laugh with someone, I'm even happier.

mmmm....can i come to the virtual restaurant, too? I'll share a laugh, but my spliffing and pizza days are done, so I'll sit upwind and try hard not to inhale. :D

You're more than welcome to join us Fruity but watch out for Miss J's snakes as they can get temperamental after the pizza :D

Oh, I missed that post. DJT. Pizza? :D OK. Don't spliff, but go for it. I'll have a cheroot after. I think that's the point here -- don't moan about others.

Phil- Just the kind of squishy thinking that's led so many Western countries down the road to not being free. Tocqueville and others correctly noted that the biggest threat to freedom in a democracy is not from the right, but instead from the left--i.e. not from a fascist takeover (obviously possible, but an obvious threat), but instead from the subtle, creeping tide of regulation. And of course each new law is made with the best of intentions, and generally justified as protecting people from others.

Of course each should have the right to live reasonably free from the interference of others, and so the issue is of course where to draw the line. I believe that we should draw the line conservatively in the sense that we allow more rather than less, that we require people to be tolerant of others' smoking, music, talking, speech, etc. more liberally than we restrict the behavior of people.

Second hand smoke is not substantially more dangerous, I suspect (although admittedly without any sound surveys to quote), than many other dangers caused by other activities in which people engage that put others at risk (cell phones and other distractions while driving; new drivers; old drivers) or by other things people do that can harm others (involvement in businesses that market unsafe drugs, involvement in the medical industry that pushes long term use of drugs, etc.)

So you go live in a country that regulates as much as possible pursuant to what the elites say is right for everyone else and I'll go live in a country where people are more free to live their lives as they choose.

Are you a smoker ? ,.i only ask as it seems you are sticking up for them,i for one hate to be around it, although its not a personal thing,. i have friends that smoke and whenever they come to visit they do refrain from smoking, but i find it sad that as soon as the withdrawl symptoms kick in they make their excuses and leave,. i am one of the customers that cant wait to be in a smoke free enviroment when we return to my old local in the uk, ,.i think you have to be a non smoker to appreciate what its like for a non smoker and perhaps with children around,.ive stopped arguing with smokers as i havent met one yet that dosent seem to think that the non smokers are the ones with the problem!, its an addiction and i do sypathise but let us non smokers breath ( cigarette )smoke free air is all we ask,.

I think it should be up to the business owners to decide. If the pub owner does not want people smoking in his pub, then he has to right to stop people smoking in his pub.

If more people prefer to sit in a smokeless pub then wouldn't the pub owners have already banned smoking?

(same goes for the business owners of all kind)

Exactly, I argued on another thread that the bar/restaurant owner is the business person who makes the decision. A particular section of society is targetted and the rules set accordingly. If smoking is permitted and the trade is insufficient to support the business there are two options. Go under or change to a non-smoking venue, but let that be the decision of the businessman with no government interference. Provided the policy is clearly stated outside the establishment then the choice is up to the customer.

The way it's going in the UK I can forsee a time when smokers will have to have a symbol sewn into their clothing, like a yellow star perhaps?

PS I have never smoked in my life but defend the rights of others to do so.

I think it should be the decision of the business owner,make sure there is a sign outside to anounce it,..smoking pubs and restuarants seem like a good idea rather than making the poor souls stand outside in all weathers !. the government dont seem to agree that people can make decisions on their own,

:o What's that thing sticking out of your av mouth, Bendix?

Oh well, dear old Joe liked a puff of course. But look how hard he worked - killing peasants and politburo comrades is a stressful business.

Now you wouldnt have had all this pc nonsense from Stalin :D Lenin, perhaps. Trotsky, most likely. Beria possibly. But Uncle Joe? No way.

Mighty Mouse is correct that smoking is a stupid, disgusting habit and should be banned altogether in the future, however, for years, society brainwashed people into thinking that that inhaling this poisonous, foul stench was somehow "cool" and attractive.

I feel that we need to slow down on prohibiting them in bars and and give the folks who bought the company line time to die off and the younger ones time to adjust to reality.

Cigarettes are not stylish; they are a dirty, nasty, waste of money and a waste of lives, but a lot of people are hooked already. We can't just expect them to stop cold turkey. :o

Smokers are a dying breed, but do they see it ? do they care ?

I quit smoking for a year and a half some years ago. It was always nice when I smelt other people's 2nd hand smoke. It didn't make me want to smoke it is just an appealing aroma.

I hope things never get too stupid, I heard that smoking is banned within 20 metres or so from entrances to shopping centres in Australia, that is stupid.

Disagree, ask any non smoker what its like coming out of almost any mall, the wave of smoke is awful,.20 kilometres would suit me :o ,and nearly all ex smokers are like alcoholics, the desire is still lurking !

Get real MM smoking qas banned on aircraft for one reason only---it costs them money to clean the air!!!

I really think we should have a ban on non smokers in public places!!!!

I would be more tolerant iF non smokers gave us smokers the choice---like smokers only pubs and restaurants!!!!

a great idea, but you know the government wont allow us to think for ourselves :o

Very interesting how you try to play off the philosophy that you believe to be correct as the one that is infact correct.

If you are responsible for those around you, where do you draw the line? If you truly believe this should you not dedicate your every waking minute to ensuring those around you are doing "the right thing" as you are responsible for them.

P.S i take you travel ever where by bike or walking?

"Where do you draw the line?" An interesting question.

Personally, I draw the line by being mindful of the comforts and safety of those around me. Whether I'm driving my car amongst other vehicles or pedestrians, whether I'm discarding dangerous items or chemicals etc.

In days gone by, there were limited laws regarding such things. These days, more stringent laws are in place. Discarding and handling asbestos is a pertinent point.

Common sense isn't controlled by any law. You either have it or you don't. If you have it, you should exercise it. If you don't, then governments may need to introduce legislation to protect the innocent victims of the fools whose actions cause suffering.

Many smokers (maybe the vast majority) fall into the 'fool' category.

It's because of the 'fools' that an increased number of "no smoking" bans are being introduced.

Before lighting up, do smokers inquire whether others in the near vicinity are asthmatic? Not likely.

How would you feel if your second hand smoke caused an asthmatic attack and the victim died as a result ?

In Australia smoking is permitted in your own motor vehicle. Maybe this will soon be outlawed also, because the 'fools' smoke with their children in the car or they throw the butts out the window whilst driving through our country areas.

Many major bushfires have been started that way. Hundreds of innocent victims of these 'fools' have lost their homes as a result. Wild life in various areas has been devastated as a result.

Precious drinking water has been wasted on extinguishing these fires. Millions of $ s lost because of one cigarette butt.

Smoking in bed can cause fires. Those fires have the potential to kill and to cause personal property loss.

With these things in mind, I repeat what I wrote in an earlier post, you are responsible for those around you. Maybe not legally in all cases, but certainly morally.

If you dropped a cigarette in your lap whilst driving you could spark a bush fire ! :o

I've just read this thread for the first time & I'm amazed at how vehement (& downright insulting in some cases) the anti-smoking lobby here are. How many of you saying that cigarette smoke is the greatest evil in the world are ex-smokers? Just wondering, as I've heard that ex-smokers are more forceful in their anti-smoking beliefs than those who have never smoked.

I'm a non-smoker. I have no problem with others smoking around me. All but one LTR I've had have been with smokers. I have far bigger problems with "nanny states" legislating against everything than I do with secondhand smoke.

Out of interest, for the non-Thais, how did you get here? On an aeroplane? Any idea how much damage those things are doing to the environment via air pollution? But we all use them. Where's the responsibility to others there?

Edit - typo

:o

Good argument, Fruitt.

They do a "non smokers " happy pizza " in phnom penh ! :D

Blame Sir Walter Raleigh:

Sir Walter Raleigh, Explorer / Scalawag

Born: 1552

Birthplace: Devonshire, England

Died: 29 October 1618 (beheading)

Best Known As: The man who laid his cloak over a mudpuddle for the queen

Sir Walter Raleigh was one of the grand scalawags of the Elizabethan Age. He made a name for himself fighting the Irish at Munster; later he was introduced at court and became a favorite of Queen Elizabeth I. Known for his wit and womanizing, Raleigh was in and out of Elizabeth's favor. (According to a famous legend he once laid his plush and expensive cloak over a mud puddle so that the Queen's feet would not be dirtied; the legend has long been disputed, but it may actually be true.) He also organized expeditions to the new world, popularized tobacco, and found time to write poetry on the side. Raleigh was not a favorite of Elizabeth's successor, James I, who kept Sir Walter imprisoned in the Tower of London for years and finally had him beheaded in 1618.

After Raleigh's execution, his head was embalmed and returned to his wife... Some sources say on the day he was beheaded Raleigh was granted a last smoke of tobacco -- establishing the tradition of giving a prisoner a last cigarette before execution.

Peter

Came from Tavistock, a real character,. he smoked a pipe i beleive and our good friend bendix is an admirer ! :o

I smoked for most of my life, except for one 5 year period. I am 68 years old. I started when I was 11 or 12 years old. I quit last May using the Nicorette Chewing Gum. Works great. I only used the gum for a few days and then quit that too. At the time I quit I was smoking two plus packs a day. I have not even taken one drag from a cig since I quit and don't plan to. That is how you get hooked all over again.

As far as rights go, or, is smoking harmfull to yourself or to others. Cut the crap. I used the same arguments for years. Almost every post on here defending your rights to smoke or smoking dosen't hurt any one is pure bull...

You will feel as I do when you quit. IT WAS THE SMARTEST AND GREATEST THING I EVER DID FOR MY SELF AND MY FELLOW MAN.

SUPERB !and well done ,and for me you deserve a round of apllause :o Edited by mikethevigoman

....which is why the world is slowly changing over to hybrid cars. Give it time.

There are many dangers in life, smoking is but one. Let's eliminate smoking, then we can concentrate on something else.

Why dont you calm down, maby hybrid smoking is on the way to, just give it time :o

Try to use your energi to attack the much more dangerous enviromental issues, but you dont because then you are up against real big money and infrastructural problems, oh no it is much easyer to attack the smokers, I agree that smokers should take some precautions not to bother nonsmokers, but there is a limit.

And regards to the airtravel you are dead wrong, they only did that because they in a buiessnes that was struggeling to survive, they found out how much money they could save, from changing the air in the aircrafts maby 8 times an hour it is now down to 2 times an hour, they save on cleaning to, and we are talking billions, ask any tecnician, it is easy to seal of the smokingarea if you wantet to in an airplane and make constant underpressure so the air from the smoking part would not enter the air in the nonsmoking part, this was all a green moneysaving ploy and esspecially the hysterical Americans jumped on the bandwagon as they do with all alleged health issues, just look at pregnant women, in the Us they are reduced to frail objects that cant work, cant dance, cant drink one cup off coffe or one beer aso. most other parts of the world they can lead normal lifes til hours before they have the baby, and there is no greater child defects or dead children in Europe than in the Us, infact, it is the other way round atleast for the part of Europe I come from.

I like Americans and Us, this is not bashing but just facts it is all about money over there, and the more they can make people spend on advise from health gurus the better nobody looks to a balanced truth.

What do you think pollutes most, a 747 flying to Thailand from Us or the 50 smokers inside, get real and relax there are plenty other issues you can wage a holy crusade against that would have a greater impact on the enviroment or saving lifes.

Puhh, now to a good cup off caffinated coffe and a Cuban.

Kind regards :D