My Experience Using DeeMoney

I tried to use DeeMoney, opened an account and got my wallet card. I prefer not using smart phone, just my personal taste, so I don't and you can't use a Windows based desk top to do a DeeMoney transfer. Even if you do and have the app, if you bank at Bangkok Bank, which I do, there is a 20,000 baht limit per transaction, so if you are trying to move a couple of million baht that can get expensive fast. I went to their office prepared to send funds that way and found that they could not send money to my bank in the USA. I use a small but good bank there and it is not on their list of financial institution they can do business with. At that point I decided to find another way to transfer funds from Thailand to overseas. I only shared this information to inform those using smaller banks abroad may run into problem using DeeMoney.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BobTH said:

I tried to use DeeMoney, opened an account and got my wallet card. I prefer not using smart phone, just my personal taste, so I don't and you can't use a Windows based desk top to do a DeeMoney transfer. Even if you do and have the app, if you bank at Bangkok Bank, which I do, there is a 20,000 baht limit per transaction, so if you are trying to move a couple of million baht that can get expensive fast. I went to their office prepared to send funds that way and found that they could not send money to my bank in the USA. I use a small but good bank there and it is not on their list of financial institution they can do business with. At that point I decided to find another way to transfer funds from Thailand to overseas. I only shared this information to inform those using smaller banks abroad may run into problem using DeeMoney.   

Do you mean the limit you set?  I set a 50,000 limit in my Bangkok Bank account or are you referring to a different limit?

52 minutes ago, BobTH said:

You must be referring to a Bt20K Bangkok Bank debit card "purchase limit" which is "one" of purchase limits you can setup on their debit card.  For purchases there are a variety of limits you can set from zero all the way up to around Bt200K.   I have set my purchase limit to Bt20K just in case in lose my card and some bad guy wants to buy a bunch of stuff at Big C.  Although I rarely use my debit card for a purchase I don't want to set it to zero just for those times I do want to use it for a purchase.

As for withdrawal of funds/transfers of funds via ibanking/direct debit/mbanking that can be set to a high value.  You just need to go online and/or your branch to setup a higher limit.

Yea, I think you are confusing one of the possible purchase limits with other possible limits such as Direct Debit limit, 3d Party Transfer limit, ATM Cash withdrawal limit that is different from your purchase limit (I think the ATM wihdrawal limit can be set to Bt200K if "you" desire", and variations in limit if using ibanking or mbanking.

Don't worry you can use Deemoney to send more than Bt20K at time from your Bangkok Bank account.  

Regarding the number of US banks you can transfer to, if I remember right from a US bank count I did when doing some transfers with DeeMoney there was around 78 or so US banks (e.g., Bank of America, USBank, USAA, Schwab, etc....well known names) but they are all major banks....not small banks or credit unions that only serve a local area.

And where you say you can't use a Windows desktop to use DeeMoney....well, yes you can.  That's how I did my DeeMoney transfers (i.e, from my Windows laptop) with the exception of doing the very last part of the transfer in funding the transfer as I needed to use my bank mbanking app to scan the QR code showing on my computer screen to fund the transfer via QR payment.  And the default limit on my Bangkok Bank mbanking to fund such a transfer is Bt200K (I expect I could raise or low that by contacting Bangkok Bank. 

Just log onto your DeeMoney account at below weblink.  Or use their mobile app.  

https://transfer.dee.money/customer/login

Edited by Pib
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Do you mean the limit you set?  I set a 50,000 limit in my Bangkok Bank account or are you referring to a different limit?

I called their customer support number and was asking questions when out of the blue the man asked me what bank I was with in Thailand this was concerning a discussion on using their phone application. I told him Bangkok Bank and he said their limit is 20,000 baht per transaction. He knew nothing about my limits nor did I tell him anything when he said it. Maybe he or I one was confused but at that point I thought: at that limit per transaction it would be expensive using their mobile app. so I decided to do the transactions from their office witch had higher limits 800,000 baht per day or 450,000 baht per transaction. When I went to do it that way is when I was told they could not send to my bank in the USA, because it wasn't on their list. I do use a smaller bank in the USA, my hometown bank which has a main office and I believe 7 branches. I just looked at the Windows log-in screen that Pib mentioned and had never seen it before where they send you an OTP, I tried it and after I entered the OTP it asked for password but wouldn't let me type in anything for some reason. But since I can not use my bank to send to, it really doesn't matter but thanks everyone for your help especially Pib. 

On 11/16/2018 at 5:10 AM, khman said:

I am astonished this is legit. I thought Thailand does not like too much money going out of the Kingdom, without a serious reason like an invoice for goods?

No money actually goes 'out of the Kingdom'. It is peer to peer. The amount going in one direction equals the amount going in t'other. No money leaves Thailand and no money leaves UK (say). There are two fees (or more) involved for each transaction. 

I cannot speak for DeeMoney but Transferwise do as many as 5000 transactions an hour.

Edited by owl sees all

When I signed up at the DeeMoney branch I asked how much can I send to the US per day.  The answer was $15K which is approx Bt475K.   

OK, a few days latter I decide I will ask DeeMoney again but this time via email to the central customer service.  A few hours later I got below response which reconfirmed what I was told at one of their branches.  That is Bt475K per day which equates to $15K.  See their response below.

Now keep in mind what limits your Thai bank has for transfers from your Thai bank to another Thai entity such as DeeMoney is set by your bank...can be set to different amounts from zero to up to whatever the max limit set by the bank for any customer.   "You" can then change your limit to various allowed amounts from zero to whatever the max limit is.   The bank will usually select a lower "default" value unless you choose an amount different from the default value.   If the default value is too low for your needs, just get with the bank and change it.  For example with Bankgok Bank you can make a lot of the changes by simply calling their 1333 number and using their automated system...just follow the instructions.  And on their ibanking you can make various limit changes....ditto when using their mbanking.  

DeeMoney Response

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your question!

For USA we have a transfer limit per transaction at 475,000THB and you can send up to 800,000THB per day.Actually,customer can transfer up to 20 transactions per day and up to 40 transactions per month for both channels:mobile app and branches.

*Note : Via mobile application customer can send only 690,000THB per month,but via branches of DeeMoney no limit...

Sincerely Yours,

Customer Service Team

12 hours ago, Pib said:

When I signed up at the DeeMoney branch I asked how much can I send to the US per day.  The answer was $15K which is approx Bt475K.   

OK, a few days latter I decide I will ask DeeMoney again but this time via email to the central customer service.  A few hours later I got below response which reconfirmed what I was told at one of their branches.  That is Bt475K per day which equates to $15K.  See their response below.

Now keep in mind what limits your Thai bank has for transfers from your Thai bank to another Thai entity such as DeeMoney is set by your bank...can be set to different amounts from zero to up to whatever the max limit set by the bank for any customer.   "You" can then change your limit to various allowed amounts from zero to whatever the max limit is.   The bank will usually select a lower "default" value unless you choose an amount different from the default value.   If the default value is too low for your needs, just get with the bank and change it.  For example with Bankgok Bank you can make a lot of the changes by simply calling their 1333 number and using their automated system...just follow the instructions.  And on their ibanking you can make various limit changes....ditto when using their mbanking.  

DeeMoney Response

Thanks for this really excellent post. As someone who does not wish to keep on transferring 65k per month to my Thai bank account and keeping it here, I am going to consider doing the following each month. Transfer 65k from my UK bank account to my Bangkok Bank account using Transferwise cost £10.30 or 420THB approx. Internal transfer 65k (direct debit) to my SCB account. Set up a Dee Money transfer (direct debit) back to my UK bank account cost 150THB or £3 70. Repeat each month. Cost per month £14 or 570THB. Which is £168 or 6,480 THB per year. Expensive I know but weighing this off against the £52 for the embassy letter previously and it dont seem too bad. Once set up it should work ok. 

Any thoughts

Edited by jimn

11 hours ago, jimn said:

Thanks for this really excellent post. As someone who does not wish to keep on transferring 65k per month to my Thai bank account and keeping it here, I am going to consider doing the following each month. Transfer 65k from my UK bank account to my Bangkok Bank account using Transferwise cost £10.30 or 420THB approx. Internal transfer 65k (direct debit) to my SCB account. Set up a Dee Money transfer (direct debit) back to my UK bank account cost 150THB or £3 70. Repeat each month. Cost per month £14 or 570THB. Which is £168 or 6,480 THB per year. Expensive I know but weighing this off against the £52 for the embassy letter previously and it dont seem too bad. Once set up it should work ok. 

Any thoughts

Keep in mind you also have a "indirect fee/cost" in this rotation method beyond just the upfront direct fee like the DeeMoney Bt150 direct fee fee.  

When using DeeMoney (or a Thai bank or any money transfer service) you will also have the exchange rate markup.  That is to get those pounds to "send back to the UK" you must buy them from DeeMoney/the Thai bank and they sell them to you.  DeeMoney calls this selling rate rate their "Money Transfer Rate" and Thai bank call it their "TT Selling Rate."

Like at this moment in time the Bangkok Bank TT Selling Rate for sterling is 41.26.   That is, they will sell you one pound to send back for 41.26.   However, their TT Buying Rate for incoming pound transfers is 40.425 for incoming pounds.   The difference between their TT Buying and Selling Rates is approx 2% for sterling right now.  That's a markup loss you need to consider in.  Now that 2% is kinda high probably due to the uncertainty cause by the Brexit goatrope.   The difference between their TT Buying Rate and Selling Rates for the US dollars is only 1% right now.  

Anyway, to round out your cost analysis of this money rotation, you need to consider the exchange rate you get when sending the money "into" Thailand and the exchange rate when sending it "out" of Thailand and there is probably/usually going to be a 1 to 2% cost/loss there on top of the direct fees.

Example: at this moment in time the Transferwise GBP-THB rate is 40.78227 (sending money to Thailand) and the DeeMoney Money Transfer rate for GBP is 41.21 (sending money out of Thailand).  If you used TW to send money over today at above TW rate....say it arrived today...and then you turned right around and sent it back today at above DeeMoney 41.21 rate that is an approx 1% loss to you (indirect fee) on top of the direct fees.  And If you had sent the money from your UK bank to your Thai bank the markup loss would have been worst due to the greater difference between the Thai bank and DeeMoney rates used. 

So probably as a rule of thumb/ball park figure/close off the top of your head estimate as to how much the rotation would cost you each time in terms of direct and indirect fees for a Bt65K rotation using Transferwise and DeeMoney, plan on around  1.75% of Bt65K which works out to Bt1,137 or 28 pounds "each time."  Probably around 2.25% loss if using a UK bank and DeeMoney.

While a rotation plan will definitely work and I'm sure some (many) may use such a plan, a few percent loss each time due to direct and indirect fees in the sending back and forth process definitely adds up to some serious money over one year.  Moving money between countries always costs you.  Yeap, consider both the direct and indirect fees in your cost analysis.  

My experience with DM not great so far. Sent money to Australia on Dec 20 and began follow up process yesterday.  Had to use the Line app to send customer service a copy of my Tax Invoice (receipt) - I initiated the transfer at Soi 8 branch (Suk) and even though I installed the iPhone app, it appears you can only track transfers initiated with the app through the app (so, I can't track mine)

CS informed me today via Line that acct has been credited, yet I had recipient check and no money. We will wait 24 hours as time difference between countries could be playing a part.

Thanks to BobTH below is a list of the 76 "USA" banks DeeMoney can send to as of 9 Jan 19.  Before posting I did log onto my DeeMoney account to compare below list with what was actually offered in pull down menus when setting up a transfer....it matched. 

Can't speak to the list of banks offered in other countries that DeeMoney can send to.  DeeMoney can send to a total of 18 countries as shown in their Money Transfer Rates List at below weblink.  Mostly countries in this side of the world including AU and NZ along with the US and UK on the other side of the world.  DeeMoney does not currently send to any continental Europe countries.

Countries DeeMoney Can Send To At Below Weblink

https://www.dee.money/money-transfer-rate/

76 US banks DeeMoney can send to as of 9 Jan 19.

image.thumb.png.fc95713de54b9a8ef0328812d7110761.png

5 hours ago, Pib said:

Thanks to BobTH below is a list of the 76 "USA" banks DeeMoney can send to as of 9 Jan 19.  Before posting I did log onto my DeeMoney account to compare below list with what was actually offered in pull down menus when setting up a transfer....it matched. 

76 US banks DeeMoney can send to as of 9 Jan 19.

Interesting that there are almost no U.S. credit unions on the DeeMoney list, and of the few CUs that are listed, none of them are ones I've ever heard of before, and certainly not any of the major/largest ones in the U.S.

But at least, most of the major U.S. brokerages and U.S. mega bank conglomerates are included on the list.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Interesting that there are almost no U.S. credit unions on the DeeMoney list, and of the few CUs that are listed, none of them are ones I've ever heard of before, and certainly not any of the major/largest ones in the U.S.

But at least, most of the major U.S. brokerages and U.S. mega bank conglomerates are included on the list.

Most major brokerages?!? I don't see Fidelity, Interactive, Vanguard, or Schwab! 

Edited by Jingthing

12 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Schwab's there #14. E*Trade too. TD Bank, Scottrade. Various of the mega banks with their own in-house brokerages.

But yes, no Fidelity or Vanguard.

Oops. I missed Schwab. Not very surprised about Fidelity. They seem extremely hostile to foreign stuff notoriously closing accounts of Americans living abroad.

Is there a link there for all the banks in different countries? 

Edited by Jingthing

Oops. I missed Schwab. Not very surprised about Fidelity. They seem extremely hostile to foreign stuff notoriously closing accounts of Americans living abroad.

Is there a link there for all the banks in different countries? 
No link I know of....the doc posted above was a hard copy received at one of DeeMoney's branches...and then scanned in.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/15/2018 at 6:16 PM, Pib said:

But with my Krungsri Bank ibanking I have it and have done one transfer to confirm it actually works....money posted to my US bank account in 6 hours....can transfer out up to $10K USD per transfer. 

This part is interesting to me. If I open a Krungsri bank (retirement visa), I can wire transfer funds from Thailand to USA? I don't want to travel to Bangkok right now and this could be a stopgap solution. Downside of Dee Money is you must visit in person to set it up, apparently. 

You sure Krunsri is still letting farang without work permits wire money out of Thailand? That's useful info! 

This part is interesting to me. If I open a Krungsri bank (retirement visa), I can wire transfer funds from Thailand to USA? I don't want to travel to Bangkok right now and this could be a stopgap solution. Downside of Dee Money is you must visit in person to set it up, apparently. 

You sure Krunsri is still letting farang without work permits wire money out of Thailand? That's useful info! 

All I can say is I could (did).
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/15/2018 at 4:10 PM, khman said:

Hi,

Sorry, I don't get it. Deemoney allows to send money OUT of Thailand without hassle? Seems it was impossible without an invoice?

When you send money OUT with Deemoney, I guess you do a local transfer, to a Thai bank, then they send international?
I am astonished this is legit. I thought Thailand does not like too much money going out of the Kingdom, without a serious reason like an invoice for goods?

Thank you for your help.

The way Deemoney works is by actually making an international payment rather than a SWIFT transfer.

For making a transfer to the U.S., Deemoney is actually making the equivalent of an IAT (International ACH Transfer) ACH payment which is why one's bank routing number rather than SWIFT code is required.

The IAT rules that went into effect in 2009, which are giving grief to folks who use Bangkok Bank NY to make transfers to their BB account in Thailand, also apply to international payments TO the U.S.; Deemoney is the first service of which I'm aware that is allowing consumers rather than businesses to make low cost transfers (payments).

Because Deemoney's transfer is treated as an ACH once it reaches the U.S. is why Deemoney's fee is so low, why there are no intermediaries other than Currency Cloud (the payment gateway), the time it takes for the transfer to reach one's bank, and why, for example, one can transfer to Charles Schwab (which doesn't accept international wire transfers).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed DeeMoney and asked them if you can send money to a bank other than the ones listed in the previous post. Specifically to one credit union and one bank not listed. They said I could. Im going to sign up and find out for sure. See how it goes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, johnjohn2 said:

I emailed DeeMoney and asked them if you can send money to a bank other than the ones listed in the previous post. Specifically to one credit union and one bank not listed. They said I could. Im going to sign up and find out for sure. See how it goes.

Definitely report back on how that goes and how you entered the info in their app. 

When using the DeeMoney desktop or mobile app when selecting the bank you first select a name from the pull down menu which lists all the banks they send to....like that list of US banks/CUs posted earlier, then you select the branch which only give one branch option which is the "head office branch", then you enter the Account Number.  And the account number you must enter is "more" than just the account number....it's the bank's "routing number and your account number" separated by a dash like shown below.  

On my first transfer setup I kept entering only the account number just like their screen requested, but keep getting a format error.  I wondered what the heck as I'm entering my bank account number correctly like I'm done many times over the years in setting up ACH transfers on my various US banks' ibanking to transfer between my US banks.  And I had already selected the bank's name.

However, DeeMoney was rejecting the account number....kept saying invalid/incorrect format or something along those lines.    I had already selected my bank's name from their pull down menu that I assumed  automatically provided the routing number needed in their underlying coding, but No.   Not until I entered my bank's routing number "and" account number separated by a dash as shown in the format below did the Account Number field accept my entry.   Then I was good to go.  

So, when you get to the entry where they ask for "Account Number" they actually need your US bank's "routing number and account number separated by a dash."

image.png.8046def528b74516152ccceb1c98934d.png

1 hour ago, johnjohn2 said:

I sent scans of the forms. Dont know how long until they set me up an account. But will update after they do and I give it a whirl.

I contacted DeeMoney customer service today asking if they can send to "any" USA bank/credit union....more than the 76 listed in their App.  Those 76 in the app match the 76 listed in post #40.  Their response was they could "only" send to those 76 banks/CUs/financial companies as that's all their partner (Marchantrade) supported at this time.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2019 at 12:39 PM, justanotherfatwhiteguyinth said:

I have got around the supported countries using Deemoney and Trasnferwise. 

I had to send some case to HK recently, so I first send from Deemoney to my AUS Trasnferwise account (took about a day) then converted that in my Trasnferwise app and then sent to HK account, (took another day)

All up in a 50K transfer I lost maybe 450THB in costs/exchanges 

Sending with MoneyGram and stuff would be up in the 2200THB each transaction. 

SO its a little annoying with the TH to AUS to HK transfer but still, FAR less painful than any other option, so I think this is the best way for getting cash to EU.

I.ve never used TW nor Dee.

Am I right in thinking  TW supplies foreign iban?

Can you tell me if this would work, I transfer thai baht using Dee money, to the uk iban that TW supplies, but I do not transfer the money then on to my uk account.

But return the sum (minus the costs or topped up), already in  TW  back to thailand (Bangkok Bank) 

Edited by bigginhill

8 hours ago, bigginhill said:

I.ve never used TW nor Dee.

Am I right in thinking  TW supplies foreign iban?

Can you tell me if this would work, I transfer thai baht using Dee money, to the uk iban that TW supplies, but I do not transfer the money then on to my uk account.

But return the sum (minus the costs or topped up), already in  TW  back to thailand (Bangkok Bank) 

You are talking about getting a Transferwise "Borderless Account" where you would get a UK bank account number and a few other countries like Australia.  From looking at the DeeMoney list of UK based banks/financial institutions that DeeMoney can sent to (40 banks/financials institutions listed) Transferwise is not listed.   Now the UK account TW would give you would really be with one of their UK partner bank (who I don't have a clue is) so maybe if one of those partner banks is on the DeeMoney list then it would be possible.   

Apparently "justanother....." was able to do it with his Oz bank account number issued by Transferwise.   I see DeeMoney has 58 banks listed they can transfer to in Oz....maybe justanother.... will say what bank he used....apparently once getting a borderless account TW actually tells you what the bank name is along with the account number?

Edited by Pib

• 2 weeks later...

My problem is how to cheaply transfer money from my US account to Bangkok Bank. I see no mechanism on either end that will help me do this. Wire transfers are what my credit union uses. They are 60 USD each. Not very cost effective. I did find out that some of my credit cards will accept payments from Bangkok Bank. The only exception was Discover Card, so I transferred the balance to a Mastercard issued by my credit union.  I need a cost-effective way to transfer funds from the United states to Bangkok Bank. Otherwise, I spend big money on a visa service to get my extension in October. There have been a number of confusing and contradictory posts on this matter, including on that said that if you use a visa service, THIS year, then you are locked into using one permanently.  Perhaps Ubon Joe can clarify. I cannot process all the information under the current stress I am under.

1 hour ago, KhunFred said:

My problem is how to cheaply transfer money from my US account to Bangkok Bank. I see no mechanism on either end that will help me do this. Wire transfers are what my credit union uses. They are 60 USD each. Not very cost effective. I did find out that some of my credit cards will accept payments from Bangkok Bank. The only exception was Discover Card, so I transferred the balance to a Mastercard issued by my credit union.  I need a cost-effective way to transfer funds from the United states to Bangkok Bank. Otherwise, I spend big money on a visa service to get my extension in October. There have been a number of confusing and contradictory posts on this matter, including on that said that if you use a visa service, THIS year, then you are locked into using one permanently.  Perhaps Ubon Joe can clarify. I cannot process all the information under the current stress I am under.

Others may advise otherwise. Just use Transferwise. Chances are they will show as an international transaction to Bangkok Bank. Even if they dont just provide other proof that the funds originated outside Thailand. Cost probably about 15usd for sending 65000 baht.

Dont get too stressed mate, make a decision and stick with it. Things will work out ok.

Edited by jimn

When I signed up for DM at Soi 8 they told me I could transfer 370,000 baht per day at their office. I didn't mention any destination country, but my passport is not US. I asked about using the app and they said it depended on my bank, but SCB allowed 100,000 baht.

I also asked if registration was valid forever, as I would only transfer money out in case of emergency in the future. The answer was yes.

On 1/7/2019 at 7:55 PM, BobTH said:

I realize I am replying to an old post, but I have some relevant info. I am just trying to get up to speed with DeeMoney. Unfortunately, discovered that both of my banks in the U.S. are not on the list in the DeeMoney app.  Rats and double rats!!!  However, I have a Bank of America MasterCard and discovered that I could open a checking account online in 5 minutes with only an opening deposit of $25.  I don't know if it is that easy if you don't already have a relationship with BofA, but worth investigating if you have not already found a solution.  I was pulling my hair out trying to add my new BofA checking to DeeMoney app until I read deeper in this thread and discovered Pib's instructions that you have to enter your routing number-account number (separated by a dash).