Centipedes in my kitchen

Aforek

Hello, in three days I have killed two centipedes in my kitchen ( rather at night, I saw them when coming to drink something ), not very big but enough to be painful 

so, what are their habits ? I knew there where outside the house, but now they are inside : are there here for food, is there a sort of nest somewhere ? I am ready to look everywhere ; can they climb, fridge, furniture, stairs ? 

to fight your enemy, you have to know it 

thanks 

While digging in the flowerbed (with bare hands) i came upon a nest of 5 of them, small ones...those are slow though and easy to kill with a stick or so which i did.

The big ones are fast but i didn't see them. They can also dig themselves underground i noticed. But yes my flowerbeds are full of leaves and organics so they're hiding there i guess...but we also have plenty larger lizzards who even come close to me when i 'm digging..guess they would eat them if they can.

Guess that's why my neighbours like to have concrete floors around their houses with nothing on them....looks terrible imo , they better live in a condo.

So clean everything outdoors and they will hopefully leave your place. I''ve never seen them on walls or so, always on the ground...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tweedle dee said:

Be afraid ! VERY AFRAID !! they can put you in hospital ...time to put Detol on ya shopping list .

I just finished to look everywhere in the kitchen,  didn't find any

wonder where they are , if any, in the daytime, I have seen them only at night, first time two days ago in three years here

what can I do with Detol ?

when working outside, always have gloves and boots; when I moved old stones, I found two or three of them, very big, very fast animals ...

What many commercial pest control operators do, is a monthly "perimeter spray" with a barrier insecticide-termiticide that has long residual effectiveness. They spray around the base of the house foundation and up on the wall a foot or so,  some use a hydraulic sub-surface gun/needle that injects the insecticide solution 6 inches or so below the soil surface around the house.  This targets the most frequent entry path for arthopod pests like ants, and yes centipedes. 

Many PCOs and some homeowners DIY with an interior spray around baseboards and behind appliances, etc,  If you keep it low there is minimal exposure, and depending on the material, is safe to enter after it dries. 

And then some of them spray the siht out of the whole frikkin yard, trees and shrubs and all, which is not necessary and creates more environmental pesticide exposure.

Thai PCOs often use older generation highly toxic pesticides, but some of them have gone with less toxic and just as effective newer generation materials like pyrethroids.  Cypermethrin is a popular choice.  That and bifenthrin are common and very effective active ingredients in popular product brands like Chaindrite.  I have used Chaindrite Crack and Crevice aerosol with a long needle nozzle to shoot into ant trail holes and cracks with minimal overspray. I get at least a month residual effectiveness.  For larger areas and perimeter spraying the Chaindrite Stefast 30SC (Lotus, HomePro etc) can be tank mixed in a hand held sprayer at 60 parts water to 1 part concentrate. ) 

There are organic alternatives.  Baits and botanical repellents and homemade concoctions are possible.  Wood vinegar, Rosemary, clove, garlic, lemon grass and other aromatic plant based insect repellents work, but they don't have the same residual life and you have to spray more frequently to maintain the barrier.  

• Like 2

I put my jacket on a few weeks back, as i was going out, and as i looked in the mirror i saw one of those centipedes that all thais are scared of (da carp), sat on my sleeve. i very slowly had to remove my jacket and then hit it over the head.  my jacket had been hanging up, so yes, they can climb.

I also picked up a pair of shorts one time to put on, and one dropped out my shorts!!  that was my own fault though, as the shorts had been on the floor.  Could have been very painful!! 

• Like 1