CNS Chairman Calls On Public To Support Patriotic Ideals

Jai Dee

CNS Chairman calls on public to support patriotic ideals

The Chairman of the Council for National Security (CNS) has called on citizens from every sector to cooperate in supporting patriotic ideals so that Thailand may become a truly democratic nation.

The Commander in Chief of the Army and Chairman of the Council for National Security (CNS), Gen Sonthi Boonyaratkrin conducted a speech on patriotism at the Army Club on Vibhavadi Rangsit Road. Gen Sonthi said that the fragmentation in Thai society was caused by sudden leaps in economic status causing adaption problems among members of society. Gen Sonthi said the sudden change caused selfishness and self-interest to develop over the welfare of the nation.

The CNS Chairman reiterated that the problem required the cooperation from all sectors, as the Army cannot hope to create patriotism and interest in the nation's welfare by itself. Gen Sonthi affirms that the Army will continue to function to the best of its ability to foster a nation with strength and democratic ideals.

Gen Sonthi added that he personally believed some of Thailand's assets, such as satellites, which have fallen into the hands of foreign nations should be recovered.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 16 Febuary 2007

"....the Army cannot hope to create patriotism and interest in the

nation's welfare by itself."

Yes, times have changed.

In Victorian times, the British Army managed it by holding steadfastly to their faith that "All <deleted> can understand English if it is shouted loud enough from behind the barrel of a gun".

But I guess the good Thai general has noticed that the Yanks couldn't repeat the trick when they were thisaway forty years ago, or now in Iraq.

The Commander in Chief of the Army and Chairman of the Council for National Security (CNS), Gen Sonthi Boonyaratkrin conducted a speech on patriotism at the Army Club on Vibhavadi Rangsit Road. Gen Sonthi said that the fragmentation in Thai society was caused by sudden leaps in economic status causing adaption problems among members of society. Gen Sonthi said the sudden change caused selfishness and self-interest to develop over the welfare of the nation.

I would generally concur with General Sonthi's diagnosis, but suspect he and I would disagree on precisely which members of society were having "adaptation problems".

Now, there is no doubt anymore.

The guy is totally lunatic.

"Singapore is a very small country, but it is so rich that it can buy 140 billion baht of our national assets," Gen Sonthi said in a speech at a seminar in Bangkok on Friday. "I am thinking about whether we can take those assets back. I want our national assets back, especially the satellites."

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=116848

The article say that the speech was broadcasted. Scary.

The more I read from people in leading positions in the current situation (and we get to read a lot each day) I'm convinced that Thailand deserves to be the joke of the region.

It's exactly the patriotism and clinging to an idea of Thailand which in many aspects is dating back to feudal times with a clear hierarchy in Thai society and everyone taking his rightful place. It's still the master and servant thinking which rules this country: the powerful and rich are entitled to decide the direction, take their share (as much as possible) and the rest has to bow their heads, obey senseless orders and accept a destiny of just unlucky birth.

All you old men out there: First create a Thailand that's worth of asking love & pride from its people in return and then hope to get patriotism in return.

It's more and more a big disadvantage that there never was a time in Thai history when the greedy (for power & money) got slaughtered. So they still think that Thailand belongs to some chosen few and they can determine how the whole country is supposed to be.

How can anyone put trust in these people: Generals, Politicians (Somkid – what a coward to switch sides like this), Judges, Privy Council and Tycoons : all of the same breed – all thinking about their own profits in the name of Thailand!

Thailand: What do you want with democracy? You can't put it in pretty costumes, can't borrow money on it and most certainly can't eat it!

The more I read from people in leading positions in the current situation (and we get to read a lot each day) I'm convinced that Thailand deserves to be the joke of the region.

It's exactly the patriotism and clinging to an idea of Thailand which in many aspects is dating back to feudal times with a clear hierarchy in Thai society and everyone taking his rightful place. It's still the master and servant thinking which rules this country: the powerful and rich are entitled to decide the direction, take their share (as much as possible) and the rest has to bow their heads, obey senseless orders and accept a destiny of just unlucky birth.

All you old men out there: First create a Thailand that's worth of asking love & pride from its people in return and then hope to get patriotism in return.

It's more and more a big disadvantage that there never was a time in Thai history when the greedy (for power & money) got slaughtered. So they still think that Thailand belongs to some chosen few and they can determine how the whole country is supposed to be.

How can anyone put trust in these people: Generals, Politicians (Somkid – what a coward to switch sides like this), Judges, Privy Council and Tycoons : all of the same breed – all thinking about their own profits in the name of Thailand!

Thailand: What do you want with democracy? You can't put it in pretty costumes, can't borrow money on it and most certainly can't eat it!

Interesting to hear from a Thaksin supporter

Surely the best way forward is to get the military out of politics

Why does the military think that because they mumble something while wearing a uniform, they are right about everything, and are more patriotic then everybody else?

How can the Thai people ever take democracy seriously, when they know that it could be taken away at a stroke by the military.

Thailand will never be a real democracy until the military gets well out of the way.

Gen Sonthi said that the fragmentation in Thai society was caused by sudden leaps in economic status causing adaption problems among members of society. Gen Sonthi said the sudden change caused selfishness and self-interest to develop over the welfare of the nation.

I guess its a bit unsettling for the ruling class when the underclass peasants have the numbers to vote in the leader of their choice in a true democracy.

The ruling class in Thailand are going to have problems with true democracy regardless of who is in power while the peasants have the majority vote. The peasants are becoming better educated and more politically aware of the huge discrepancy in wealth based on social class. Obviously, the good general would prefer the peasants to stop complaining about the army ousting the democratically elected government, and get back to the rice fields and mind their own business.

Thailand has gone too far down the road to democracy now, and the peasants are progressively becoming better educated and better informed for the push towards a fairer and more equitable society to stop.

Alternatively, one way to keep the peasants down would be to oust the democratically elected government, suppress the masses using the military via martial law in selected provinces and to strictly censor the information available to them. (Sound familiar?)

The elite are wasting their time trying to bring back the old status quo in Thailand unless they move to a permanent dictatorship under military force similar to Burma. And I think even the military rulers at present are smart enough to know that would not be a good idea long term. Thailand will eventually return to a democracy and a fairer and more equitable state for its citizens will result over time.

"Singapore is a very small country, but it is so rich that it can buy 140 billion baht of our national assets," Gen Sonthi said in a speech at a seminar in Bangkok on Friday. "I am thinking about whether we can take those assets back. I want our national assets back, especially the satellites."

Now that is scary.Good to see him striking another blow for investment here. :o

I wonder what 'our great leader' has in mind .

invasion anyone :o

I'm pretty sure if Thailand got up and decided to invade Singapore the global response would be serious. Singapore is a developed country with military ties to the U.S. and other NATO countries. Singapore military training also emphasizes "force multiplier" training through scenarios involving war with larger countries like Malaysia so I seriously doubt they'd have a problem with Thailand. Singapore is also equipped with a more professional and modern military that's capable of repelling invasions from the air and sea. I seriously doubt Thailand will be going through Malaysia so I expect to see a lot of sunken Thai ships.

From Wikipedia:

The SAF also utilises technology as "force multipliers". It is widely recognised that the SAF is probably the most technologically advanced force in Southeast Asia, in terms of C4I integration which will enable its CAD to fight in an integrated manner.[citation needed] The army, air force and navy are linked via advanced data-links and networks to enable coordinated attacks and support for various units and forces. It also possesses the most capable military manufacturing industry, having built a 28-ton armoured fighting vehicle, various self-propelled 155 mm artillery, modernised all its fighter jets, built naval vessels and communication electronics. This enables the SAF to operate customised equipment designed for its unique requirements.

It is well-known that the SAF has probably the most advanced in <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIGINT" title="SIGINT">SIGINT and imagery intelligence in the region.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citing_sourcesThe Air Force also operates Israeli manufactured UAVs, equipped with thermal and optical sensors.

Singapore also has the regions only Apache longbows to combat modern armor. Thailand and their 1950's era tanks would be screwed.

Edited by wintermute

I'm pretty sure if Thailand got up and decided to invade Singapore the global response would be serious. Singapore is a developed country with military ties to the U.S. and other NATO countries. Singapore military training also emphasizes "force multiplier" training through scenarios involving war with larger countries like Malaysia so I seriously doubt they'd have a problem with Thailand. Singapore is also equipped with a more professional and modern military that's capable of repelling invasions from the air and sea. I seriously doubt Thailand will be going through Malaysia so I expect to see a lot of sunken Thai ships.

From Wikipedia:

The SAF also utilises technology as "force multipliers". It is widely recognised that the SAF is probably the most technologically advanced force in Southeast Asia, in terms of C4I integration which will enable its CAD to fight in an integrated manner.[citation needed] The army, air force and navy are linked via advanced data-links and networks to enable coordinated attacks and support for various units and forces. It also possesses the most capable military manufacturing industry, having built a 28-ton armoured fighting vehicle, various self-propelled 155 mm artillery, modernised all its fighter jets, built naval vessels and communication electronics. This enables the SAF to operate customised equipment designed for its unique requirements.

It is well-known that the SAF has probably the most advanced in <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIGINT" title="SIGINT">SIGINT and imagery intelligence in the region.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citing_sourcesThe Air Force also operates Israeli manufactured UAVs, equipped with thermal and optical sensors.

Singapore also has the regions only Apache longbows to combat modern armor. Thailand and their 1950's era tanks would be screwed.

Thailand aint going to go to war.

This kind of speech will go down very well with a lot of the Thai population who currently dislike Singapore after a controversial defeat in a football match. That Mr. Thaksin sold his company controversially to Singapore and that so many of Mr. Ts supporters love the Thai football team and currently dislike Singapore is a godsend for the Junta. In this almost certainly lies the reason why Gen. Sonthi is making so many anti-Singapore and nationalistic statements.

I don't think the General was thinking of getting Thailand's assets back by force.

We are in danger of falling into a western-centric trap of thinking that 'military leaders' in Thailand are the same as senior military officers in the West.

In the West, embarking on a military career is a conscious decision to put politics and civil leadership aside.

Here, embarking on a military career means almost-certain deep involvement in civilian matters. It is a different ballgame.

There will be a political settlement of this, not a military nor a commercial settlement.

When I worked in Singapore (and knew a Cabinet Minister and some Permanent Secretaries), I found a complete awareness that Singapoeans may be smart, but they can't grow rice.

With the world demand for rice growing more than the supply, the fact that Thailand has 40 million engaged in agriculture, and able to grow a surplus over what they need for themselves and for the 20 million other Thais, will be taken cognizance of by the leaders of the 6-or-so million Singaporeans.

The Chairman of the Council for National Security (CNS) has called on citizens from every sector to cooperate in supporting patriotic ideals so that Thailand may become a truly democratic nation.

The CNS Chairman reiterated that the problem required the cooperation from all sectors, as the Army cannot hope to create patriotism and interest in the nation's welfare by itself. Gen Sonthi affirms that the Army will continue to function to the best of its ability to foster a nation with strength and democratic ideals.

Gen Sonthi added that he personally believed some of Thailand's assets, such as satellites, which have fallen into the hands of foreign nations should be recovered.

If you support the nation, you will support the army since the nation exists by the good graces of the heros who have dedicated their lives to defend it- the military.... And if you don't support the military, then you are an enemy of the nation- of the state- a traitor. The logic of the fascist.

If you support the nation, you will support the army since the nation exists by the good graces of the heros who have dedicated their lives to defend it- the military.... And if you don't support the military, then you are an enemy of the nation- of the state- a traitor. The logic of the fascist.

It feels like a bit of a nightmare.

Constant media bombardment on issues such as "Thainess" and "patriotism" on Thai TV. The list of issues that cannot be debated in public increases. Again we are slipping into a time where being a critical academic is one of the most dangerous professions in the country.

Is that "reform"?

:o

Constant media bombardment on issues such as "Thainess" and "patriotism" on Thai TV. The list of issues that cannot be debated in public increases. Again we are slipping into a time where being a critical academic is one of the most dangerous professions in the country.

Is that "reform"?

Thailand is sliding more and more down the SE asian scale to Myanmar's level. This is what happens when you let relatively ignorant brute force minded military men takeover things for too long. They get it in their head that national development comes from the barrel of a gun and that's how they have been conducting their "diplomacy" so far with heavy handed responses to business.

Is that "reform"?

Thailand is sliding more and more down the SE asian scale to Myanmar's level. This is what happens when you let relatively ignorant brute force minded military men takeover things for too long. They get it in their head that national development comes from the barrel of a gun and that's how they have been conducting their "diplomacy" so far with heavy handed responses to business.

It will be very hard, I expect, for the military to willingly pull it's people off the management boards of the state enterprises, renounce military solutions to the inevitable problems which democracy brings, cease its belicose and jingoistic brand of patriotism- it will be hard because those soldiers, from lowly issan private to the top brass, recall that on Sept 19th they were greeted like heros. They were welcomed with ice cream and flowers. Can they be blamed for thinking they have inherited the keys to the kingdom? Can they even be blamed for thinking their more stupid statements will go uncommented? Because like trained seals, those people who should have known better continue to pour all their intellectual efforts into finding just one thing that Taksin can be nailed with. While meantime...

This is a great thread, I am really glad to see so many people coming up with creative and good humored comments. I guess general Sonthi has again shot himself in the foot, quite an embarassing situation for a soldier. He might have prevented it if he had stick to soldiering as opposed to stepping into politics but considering the alternative what was to be done?

Fragmentation of society? is there anything new there? well it use to be the ultrarich, the army, the police and their thugs imposing their rules to the farmers who had no choice but taking it. Surprise, surprise, the late part of the 20th century created a middle class that is trying to think for themselves. Is that what the unpatriotics are?

I actually agree with Sonthi on this issue. I'd like to see Thailand stop trading in the shares of Shin and take back those assets deemed national property. Thaksin stole these assets, Singapore was well aware of this and believed he'd be able to keep trouble at bay while PM. Tamesak did no due diligance on this sale as they knew it was relationship dependant. They, more than anyone will understand how they lost it and why. I do not like to see this issue tied to "patriotism" however. I'd much rather the government make a legal case, which I believe they can.

I do not like to see this issue tied to "patriotism" however. I'd much rather the government make a legal case, which I believe they can.

Maybe then it is time to wake up to reality - the whole coup is a powergame completely tied to "patriotism". Didn't you listen to their speaches?

This is not a progressive coup, but an elitist coup from the extreme social conservatives to re-estabish their power base.

"This is a great thread, I am really glad to see so many people coming up with creative and good humored comments. I guess general Sonthi has again shot himself in the foot, quite an embarassing situation for a soldier. He might have prevented it if he had stick to soldiering as opposed to stepping into politics but considering the alternative what was to be done?"

And considering that in less than 80 years, the army has overthrown governments what?- seventeen times ? (almost always using the same justifications as this last episode)- has in the past joked that in the 97 constitution, a clause should be included to allow for coup d'etats when the army has had enough of civilian rule- Considering that the army has always had a huge stake in the economy of the country--- from the first cry of "Taksin awk bie", this has played out exactly as should have been expected. Never forget that this coup was planned long long before the spector of angry farmers descending on Bangok was raised.

"Fragmentation of society? is there anything new there? well it use to be the ultrarich, the army, the police and their thugs imposing their rules to the farmers who had no choice but taking it. Surprise, surprise, the late part of the 20th century created a middle class that is trying to think for themselves. Is that what the unpatriotics are?"

If the middle class is trying to think for themselves, why then, did they so enthusiatically welcome the generals to do their thinking for them?

Edited by blaze

I think it's very difficult to be patriotic when the military is in charge of the country. They need to put it in the Thai constitution that anyone still in the military cannot be part of a working government. In most democracy's, the military is a tool of democracy not the source of it.

I actually agree with Sonthi on this issue. I'd like to see Thailand stop trading in the shares of Shin and take back those assets deemed national property. Thaksin stole these assets, Singapore was well aware of this and believed he'd be able to keep trouble at bay while PM. Tamesak did no due diligance on this sale as they knew it was relationship dependant. They, more than anyone will understand how they lost it and why. I do not like to see this issue tied to "patriotism" however. I'd much rather the government make a legal case, which I believe they can.

Thakin stole the assets that he created?

Do you know if Tamesak did no due diligence.They are normally a very bright bunch of lads in S'pore.

If the Government could make a legal case,I'm sure they would have by now with no need for political posturing in the media.

There is nothing like a bit of xenophobia to win over the people....

Thakin stole the assets that he created?

Do you know if Tamesak did no due diligence.They are normally a very bright bunch of lads in S'pore.

If the Government could make a legal case,I'm sure they would have by now with no need for political posturing in the media.

There is nothing like a bit of xenophobia to win over the people....

The former prime minister of Singapore was quoted some months back in an article on here, saying they'd done less than normal DD, beleiving they could trust the assurances being given by the then PM of Thailand. There's the whole "no nominee" issue also, which clearly they tried to circumvent.

Its hard for me to accept your assessment that the Toxin family sold any "natinal property"....it was listed on the stock exchange was it not?....all of the shares were held by private individuals were they not? I can see no other reason why any Thai should think that the company sold was property of their property other than grandiose nationalistic delusion.....what was the name of the company?...was it Thaicorp?

Edited by chownah

From Wikipedia:

Not only that. Singapore will "officially" state that they have "no nuclear weapons".

But for a tiny country surrounded by big neighbors which could be threats, and with super advanced technology and so much wealth to buy and conceal so much of such nuclear weapons... Duh!

Edited by junkofdavid2