As relationship sours, Macron tells Trump France is not vassal of US

webfact

As relationship sours, Macron tells Trump France is not vassal of US

By Michel Rose

2018-11-14T212057Z_1_LYNXNPEEAD1YX_RTROPTP_4_FRANCE-USA.JPG

FILE PHOTO: French President Emmanuel Macron shakes hands with U.S. President Donald Trump after a meeting at the Elysee Palace on the eve of the commemoration ceremony for Armistice Day, 100 years after the end of the First World War, in Paris, France, November 10, 2018. REUTERS/Vincent Kessler/File Photo

PARIS (Reuters) - President Emmanuel Macron on Wednesday told Donald Trump that France was the United States' ally and not a vassal state after the U.S. president attacked him in a series of tweets that demonstrated how much their relationship had soured.

In five posts sent on Tuesday after a visit to Paris to mark the 100th anniversary of the end of World War One, Trump reminded France of its near-defeat by Germany in two wars, took a swipe at its wine industry, and mentioned Macron's falling approval ratings.

Trump had earlier criticised Macron's suggestion that a European army was needed, in part, to reduce reliance on the U.S. military.

Asked in an interview on the Charles de Gaulle aircraft carrier whether he was offended by Trump's tweets,Macron talked at length about the long military alliance between the two countries, from America's War of Independence onwards.

"At every moment of our history, we were allies, so between allies, respect is due," Macron told TF1 television.

"I don't think the French expect me to respond to tweets but to continue this important history," he added.

When pressed, Macron dismissed Trump's comments as an attempt to play to a domestic audience, in the wake of Trump's losses in mid-terms elections.

"I think he's playing politics, and I let him play American politics."

But asked whether there was a deeper misunderstanding between the two countries after Macron's comments about a European army infuriated Trump, Macron said being a U.S. ally did not mean being subservient.

"The United States are our historic ally and will continue to be. It's the ally with which we take all the risks, with which we carry out the most complicated operations. But being an ally doesn't mean being a vassal state," Macron said.

The public dispute was in sharp contrast with the friendly tone that had been a hallmark of the relationship between the ex-banker and the former real estate developer since Macron was elected in 2017.

After being invited to Paris to attend the Bastille Day military parade in July last year and receiving Macronand his wife for a state visit in Washington in January, Trump had praised Macron as a "great guy" and "a friend of mine".

Macron had struggled to convert the 'bonhomie' into influence. Trump and Macron disagreed on many international issues, including the Paris climate accord, the Iran nuclear deal or Trump's decision to slap tariffs on European metals exports.

But the personal rhetoric between the two men had always been friendly, in contrast with previous Franco-American disputes when French-bashing was sometimes on full display, such as during the war in Iraq that France opposed.

Although Macron's response was restrained on Wednesday, his government spokesman showed Trump's criticism had struck a chord.

When asked earlier about Trump's tweets, French government spokesman Benjamin Griveaux said they were posted on the day France was mourning the anniversary of militant attacks in Paris.

"Yesterday was November 13, we were marking the murder of 130 of our people," Griveaux said. "So I'll reply in English: 'common decency' would have been appropriate."

(Reporting by Michel Rose; Editing by John Irish and Marie-Louise Gumuchian)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-11-15

32 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Let me guess.

Secondary Modern.

Ah, the master of perpetual confusion dares to expose what laughably passes for a mind, not to mention his class consciousness.  Never mind: allow me, too, to guess why confusion reigns chez la tete de Chompère:

erm... failed the 11 plus?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Emster23 said:

I do not envy aide who had to explain what "vassal state" means in simple English. Hope he or she had colorful pictures

A map of Puerto Rico might do for POTUS. Or a map of any of the French vassal states left in the world.

• Like 1

Right now nothing is going right for trump,so he becomes petulant,hardly an endearing quality for a world leader.

the outcome if things dont improve for him could be the warmongers in the WH will goad him into a war.

Nothing good comes out of Washington these days.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, animalmagic said:

It took many countries, including many non Anglo-Saxon ones such as Philippines, India, China and several African countries to name but a few, to protect the world.  It just so happens that many battles were fought in France.

They were called "World Wars" for good reasons. Some "allies" in WW1 became enemies in WW11.

France suffered badly. Northern France was a battle ground in WW1 and France collapsed and surrendered to the Nazis in WW11. 

Had it not been for many others, but predominantly Britain, Russia/USSR,and then the US, France would not be an independent country today and nor would many other European nations.

Unfortunately, that fact seems to irritate some of those nations who are no longer grateful for the sacrifices made but seem almost resentful. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Had it not been for many others, but predominantly Britain, Russia/USSR,and then the US, France would not be an independent country today and nor would many other European nations.

I always find the bold underlined portion above a really weird statement that you hear all the time.

France and many other European nations would not have been independent countries at the conclusion of WWII if the Nazis won. But...

Does anyone really believe that nothing could happen in the intervening 73-ish years that may have changed that? Why does anyone think that the world wouldn’t continue to rebel against Nazis even if they won the war?

Strange, stagnant view of humanity.

Edited by metisdead
Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording.
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, mikebike said:

I always find the bold underlined portion above a really weird statement that you hear all the time.

France and many other European nations would not have been independent countries at the conclusion of WWII if the Nazis won. But...

Does anyone really believe that nothing could happen in the intervening 73-ish years that may have changed that? Why does anyone think that the world wouldn’t continue to rebel against Nazis even if they won the war?

Strange, stagnant view of humanity.

Also, this always implies, that the USA joined WW2 out of the goodness of their hearts and because they are such good and lovely people.

Nothing at all to do with their own interests, at all!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kamahele said:

Um, Trump should also remember that without the support of the French during the American revolution, there might not be a United States. 

That support was based on French nationalism, not altruism. But thanks anyway. It was a two edged sword for the Bourbons and Hapsburgs too.

19 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

That support was based on French nationalism, not altruism. But thanks anyway. It was a two edged sword for the Bourbons and Hapsburgs too.

I think that IS the point. Neither French participation in the American Revolution nor US participation in the great wars was altruistic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

If it weren't for France as a Global Power and at war against the Global Power Britain, its navy in the Caribbean wouldn't have been dispatched to nonstrategic (from the French perspective) Yorktown to blockade and prevent resupply/reinforcement of British-held Yorktown whose British army eventually surrendered to Washington's Army.