As relationship sours, Macron tells Trump France is not vassal of US

webfact

8 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

If it weren't for France as a Global Power and at war against the Global Power Britain, its navy in the Caribbean wouldn't have been dispatched to nonstrategic (from the French perspective) Yorktown to blockade and prevent resupply/reinforcement of British-held Yorktown whose British army eventually surrendered to Washington's Army.

Glad you agree with me. France wasnt fighting for anything more than France. Britain wasnt fighting for anything more than Britian. Nothing more than nationalism at its finest!

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, mikebike said:

I think that IS the point. Neither French participation in the American Revolution nor US participation in the great wars was altruistic.

Exactly. It was to defend American National interests, good old Nationalism. The French should thus thank their lucky stars we are Nationalist and on their side. And they owe a big debt of gratitude for British Nationalism too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Exactly. It was to defend American National interests, good old Nationalism. The French should thus thank their lucky stars we are Nationalist and on their side. And they owe a big debt of gratitude for British Nationalism too.

Repeating the dog whistle over and over and it's only being heard by other dogs... kinda sad.

3 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Glad you agree with me. France wasnt fighting for anything more than France. Britain wasnt fighting for anything more than Britian. Nothing more than nationalism at its finest!

At the beginning of the war Britain was fighting for France, Holland, Belgium, Denmark and Norway (and maybe a few others) and against Nazism, however that did not end well and Britain retreated from Dunkirk and Narvik.

After that Britain continued to fight alone for Britain and provided assistance to resistance groups in Europe and Scandinavia so it could be said continuing the fight for France et al.

I do not disagree that at all times Britain was fighting for its national interests; the same comment holds true for every country involved in that war.

1 hour ago, mikebike said:

Nice try. Acting in the national interest is not equal to "nationalism" in the sense you imply.

Au contraire, the dictionary and classic politcal theory is your friend. I suppose one can redefine language to suit ones weltanshauung but thats sort of Orwellian. May I suggest you put Hans Morgethaus series of books on your reading list?  He deals extensively with nationalism and power politics among nation states.

6 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Au contraire, the dictionary and classic politcal theory is your friend. I suppose one can redefine language to suit ones weltanshauung but thats sort of Orwellian. May I suggest you put Hans Morgethaus series of books on your reading list?  He deals extensively with nationalism and power politics among nation states.

As eloquent as you try to be you cannot hide the dissengenuous nature of not accepting the term has more than one meaning.

Link? Apparently Google doesn’t know him...

E8D8EA98-C643-4016-9443-56A506EE1D53.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

By your simpleminded definition, anyone claiming to be a nationalist is necessarily acting in her nation's best interests. And your invocation of Orwell is bizarre. Anyone who has read 1984 knows that he regarded nationalism as a pretext for advancing the interests of the ruling class. In fact, invoking nationalism as ideology that advances a Nation's interests, if by Nation you mean the vast majority of its people, and not its elite, is exactly the opposite of what Orwell believed. You're very confused. But congratulations on using weltanshauung once again.

Come on, please show a little bit of empathy for Trump!

Putin got him elected, and has him by the balls with sex videos.

Don't you posters understand Trump's tragic sarcasm when he speaks about fake news?

The Russian New Tsar obviously likes clowns - the resemblance with the great Popov is striking.....

index.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mikebike said:

As eloquent as you try to be you cannot hide the dissengenuous nature of not accepting the term has more than one meaning.

Link? Apparently Google doesn’t know him...

E8D8EA98-C643-4016-9443-56A506EE1D53.jpeg

It's Morgenthau not Morgethaus. Apparently his series of books are not the most visible ones on his bookshelves as He forgot how to write his name. ????