Is it possible to install a window AC without cutting walls?

Hal65

My apartment has square windows perfect for a boxy window AC like seen in the US. In Thailand most units are long and thin and don't actually fit into a window. They tend to be mounted high and have special holes cut for their tubing.

Is there a way to use the Thai style window ACs with a square window, without any cuts? I don't know precisely how much exposure they need and hope that maybe running the tubing through the window would suffice.

If not that then is exposing about 70% of the unit to the window opening enough?

I've not seen a window A/C here, most domestic units are split-type.

Thai split-unit A/C are intended for permanent installation and need a roughly 2" diameter hole in the wall for the pipes and cable to the outdoor unit.

Installing and removing the A/C is a job requiring special equipment, you don't just disconnect the pipes.

Decent installers use a diamond core drill to make the hole and the cored out piece can often be put back in the hole and made good if the A/C is removed at a later date.

I suppose it would be possible to run the pipes out via a window then seal the gap, but these things are not intended to be fitted like that, the tubes exit the indoor unit towards one end which would make putting it in a window difficult.

Discuss with your landlord, he may be amenable to a 2" hole that can be "fixed" when you leave, he may even share the cost of the A/C if you leave it behind.

• Like 2

You can also go check out the square xpelair type fans for glass and walls. Not all of them are extractors, there are a couple of brands working the opposite way so you get "fresh air" into the room.

I fitted one in one of our gf bogs at the business. so rather than take stale air out, you get your 6 air changes per minute very effectively. wired to a light of course.

But if you want the job doing right follow the standard procedure.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mickmick said:

As an alternative, have you thought about a portable aircon unit ? Something like one of these : https://www.homepro.co.th/category/11258 (although they are out of stock at homepro at the moment ???? )

I really wanted to. Did my research on here and people say they don't work very well. (not just the ones that are "fans over water" but the legit portable ac units aren't good either)

The last window type AC I had here in Thailand was a National about 30 years ago.  Thailand converted to split systems and has not looked back.  They still use window types in the Philippines quite often but even there the trend is to split systems.  

These are two separate units - the fan/cooling unit on wall in home and the condenser with its own fan outside somewhere with two gas lines and an electric line connecting them (inside insulation) and a drain from the inside unit for water to somewhere outside.  They are much quieter and normally provide better cooling.  

you may want to check if your electrical wiring has the capabilities, as normally you will need a dedicated wire from the fuse box and correct fuse. You could ask a ac guy to come give you a quote and he will see what issues you may have from wiring to mounting etc.

5 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

I really wanted to. Did my research on here and people say they don't work very well. (not just the ones that are "fans over water" but the legit portable ac units aren't good either)

No, they are not as good as a split system but I reckon a decent one is as good as the window mounted ones ....I've used both in outback Oz.

• Like 1

Dont know what type of window you have but sure.

If you want to avoid drilling holes in the wall, and you don't mind losing the use of the window, simply open the window a couple of inches, install a piece of plywood in the opening, drill a hole in the plywood , and run the lines through there,

Having said that, why not ask the landlord if you could drill the holes in the wall (easy to do, the installers will do for you in minutes) and you can close them up again if you remove the unit after you leave (also easy to do) 

On 11/16/2018 at 6:57 PM, Mickmick said:

As an alternative, have you thought about a portable aircon unit ? Something like one of these : https://www.homepro.co.th/category/11258 (although they are out of stock at homepro at the moment ???? )

I had one of these in a very small room. Next to useless. Remember they need a hole to the outside around 6 inch square for the trunking.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2018 at 6:57 PM, Mickmick said:

Basic ice box refrigerator helps to explain - hot air rises and cold drops.  So you want cooling from high on wall as done with split systems here.  Windows are much lower (in Thailand they always mounted window units high in a wall hole for that reason - in USA most places only use a few days a year so not as important).  This type of portable unit is even lower so it may work well for the mice; probably not so good for humans.  

Image result for ice box refrigerator basic of operation.

Edited by lopburi3