Boost in workers’ skills necessary to propel nation forward: Thai minister

webfact

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Thailand graduates about 3000 doctors per year and more dentists and so on.  You clearly don't have a clue.

https://www.umin.ac.jp/vod/files/20100212/file01.pdf

I built our home here a few years ago with local labor and it is fine no problems.  

You clearly don't know what the vocational system and technicians are!

Go tell a doctor that you compare him to an electrician...not sure he will appreciate...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Looming advances in geopolitics, intelligence agencies, and (nuclear) detonations threaten to make many humans obsolete over the next few years, in worst case scenario, 6 billion lives could be lost globally.

"good  news" I've had no kids I've done my  bit.

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

You are clueless.  Maybe you should ask  Yukontorn “Vickie” Wisadkosin she is president, Ford Asean.  Yukontorn joined Ford as vice president for marketing, sales and service, Ford Thailand, in September 2012, and was elevated to the role of managing director in February 2013. I know a lot of people in the auto biz in Thailand and they are all Thai. 

Khun Jatupon Puttaviboon, General Manager Dealer Development, BMW Group Thailand

Khun Krisda Utamote, Director Corporate Communications, BMW Group Thailand

Khun Preecha Ninatkiattikul, General Manager MINI Thailand

Khun Prapatsara Aramvongsamut, General Manager Sales, BMW Thailand

Mr. César Badilla, Director Aftersales, BMW Group Thailand

You have let your anti Thai bias distort reality.  Go take a look at the Detroit of Asia and you will find Thai people running the place. 

these are all upper management jobs.

Khun Jatupon Puttaviboon, General Manager Dealer Development, BMW Group Thailand

who do not train the factory worker.

Edited by akampa
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

You clearly don't know what the vocational system and technicians are!

Go tell a doctor that you compare him to an electrician...not sure he will appreciate...

The level of skill of a doctor is quite a bit more than an electrician.  It costs a lot to train a doctor not so much a tradesman.  http://www.dsd.go.th/

The fact that Thailand can train 3000 doctors a year makes it seem like child's play to train some tradesmen.  That someone failed to ground your electric in your home in Issan does not condemn every builder in Thailand.  You get what you pay for. 

42 minutes ago, akampa said:

these are all upper management jobs.

who do not train the factory worker.

The factory workers are trained by Thai supervisors because they speak Thai and because they are cheaper the same reason Ford closed in Australia and opened up in Thailand.  What, did you think they import engineers and train them for 3 years to speak Thai to train a minimum wage employee?????

5 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Looming advances in geopolitics, intelligence agencies, and (nuclear) detonations threaten to make many humans obsolete over the next few years, in worst case scenario, 6 billion lives could be lost globally.

The climate changers will be happy.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Unfortunately this applies to doctors as well. They may have their degree but are not necessarily competent.

In just the past year, Thailand has gone from 41st to 27th in the Health Care Efficiency Index.

Thailand is now ranked 27th among 56 countries ranked on the Bloomberg Health Care Efficiency Index, up from 41st

Thailand's per capital spending on health care now stands at US$218 (about 7,086 baht), and the average lifespan of the population have risen to 75.1 years. 

In the Asia-Pacific, Thailand's health care efficiency is ranked ninth -- behind Hong Kong, Singapore, South Korea, Japan, Australia, Taiwan, New Zealand, and China.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

In just the past year, Thailand has gone from 41st to 27th in the Health Care Efficiency Index.

Thailand is now ranked 27th among 56 countries ranked on the Bloomberg Health Care Efficiency Index, up from 41st

Thailand's per capital spending on health care now stands at US$218 (about 7,086 baht), and the average lifespan of the population have risen to 75.1 ye ars. 

In the Asia-Pacific, Thailand's health care efficiency is ranked ninth -- behind Hong Kong, Singapore, South Korea, Japan, Australia, Taiwan, New Zealand, and China.

Lies, damned lies and statistics. Why would a simple operation with a 99.9% western success rate go badly wrong. The reason is that they are more commercial than professional

31 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Lies, damned lies and statistics. Why would a simple operation with a 99.9% western success rate go badly wrong. The reason is that they are more commercial than professional

5 reasons why anecdotes are totally worthless.

https://thelogicofscience.com/2016/02/10/5-reasons-why-anecdotes-are-totally-worthless/

"Lies, damned lies and statistics." Is an outmoded argument that went out of style about the same time Mark Twain died. 

Edited by marcusarelus

First, educate/train the educators/trainers. Secondly, motivate the aforementioned group by rewarding them with a decent income (obviously they should be assessed on a regular basis to ensure the quality of education/training is up to scratch). 

Finally, assure students that they'll earn an income which reflects their qualifications, expertise and work performance. 

Until these three basic issues are addressed, I don't see the nation being propelled in the future. 

6 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

You have let your anti Thai bias distort reality.  Go take a look at the Detroit of Asia and you will find Thai people running the place. 

You mean of South East Asia i guess?? is not same same as Asia including Japan, Korea and China.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fex Bluse said:

Mate, if I may call you that, I'm not your average sh#t kicker. I won't name anybody because it would be impolite and wrong, but, as I've said in past posts, I'm connected into the heart of the society here. It's impossible to convince you without evidence, but if I post pics of a recent event that was attended by [ exceptionally important people in Thai society] I would get myself and my wife into serious trouble. 

Unless you have spoken with previous heads of the SET or goverment ministers, or rectors at Chula/Thammasart/Mahidol, or even non-civilian, non-military elite Thais, please spare me. 

I hate to pull rank in you, but sometimes it's necessary. You are defending what actually elite Thais won't even defend. They know it's broken; what don't you? 

By pulling rank I assume you mean you can't prove your argument or list any sources that agree with you. 

Thailand has a strong middle class and is creating wealth in that sector like never before. 

2.5 million students are enrolled in tertiary education and there are 25,000 PhD students. 

The universities may not be of the same caliber you might have been used to if you went to college but a college graduate even a poor one is better than a rice farmer and certainly able to understand the world at large outside of Thailand.  When I first came and left Thailand at the end of the 1960's you were right.  Now you are outdated. 

1 hour ago, GreasyFingers said:

I am yet to work out who you are an apologist for. Fortunately for me it does not matter.

Start by responding to my posts rather than flaming me personally.  You will find out that I'm an apologist for truth and never post opinions or anecdotal evidence only facts backed up by links to the information unless stated otherwise. 

1 hour ago, djayz said:

First, educate/train the educators/trainers. Secondly, motivate the aforementioned group by rewarding them with a decent income (obviously they should be assessed on a regular basis to ensure the quality of education/training is up to scratch). 

Finally, assure students that they'll earn an income which reflects their qualifications, expertise and work performance. 

Until these three basic issues are addressed, I don't see the nation being propelled in the future. 

If you look at the successful industries like automotive and IT you will find out that is what is happening and the reason for the shift in employment from agriculture to industry over the past 50 years.

13 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Well they can work in the factories and tighten the bolts at the conveyerbelt but for sure they can't develop anything themselves...my Honda dealer seriously can't even pump a tire, even not when i order them to because they don't even have a pressuregauge...

They are lucky that the new cars have a computer to tell what is wrong cause they wouldn't find the problem themselves.

Did you see the latest invention of a thai technical university last week? They developed indicator lights for a bicycle!  Serious...it worked with a switch on the steer!

Jan to Oct Thailand produced and sold a couple of million automotive vehicles.

https://www.marklines.com/en/statistics/flash_prod/productionfig_thailand_2018

Pictures of Thai people tightening bolts.  :cheesy:

Edited by marcusarelus

14 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

By pulling rank I assume you mean you can't prove your argument or list any sources that agree with you. 

Thailand has a strong middle class and is creating wealth in that sector like never before. 

2.5 million students are enrolled in tertiary education and there are 25,000 PhD students. 

The universities may not be of the same caliber you might have been used to if you went to college but a college graduate even a poor one is better than a rice farmer and certainly able to understand the world at large outside of Thailand.  When I first came and left Thailand at the end of the 1960's you were right.  Now you are outdated. 

My field is farming one of the industry's mentioned by the op, the Thai graduates I have come across no less about farming than I did as a young 16 year wet behind the ears student, and a lot of Thai agriculture graduates go home and work on the family farm ,remember farming is a practical industry ,the average Thai graduate has no idea about any hands-on work ,I would say it would the same with other hands-on industries .

You can train anyone to use a computer, and they would be as good as any Europen after a while, but if that computer goes wrong, try and find a good person that can fix it not easy.

"As for the world at large outside of Thailand "Thai's would do not have a clue, you would have to make sure they have the world globe the right way up before they look at it.

Ie. educated Thai to me"My daughter lives in the USA, that is near Norway is it not",

Thailand is to in would looking country, things will not change here for a while yet.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

There is a major difference between Detroit, Michigan, and the Detroit of Asia.

The first produces its own cars, while the second produces cars from other countries, mostly Japan.

BMW, Ford, Volkswagen, Volvo, MG, Mercedes Benz and General Motors are from Japan?  Who would have guessed? They are all produced in Thailand. 

Made in the USA - Toyota, Nissan, Subaru, Honda and Kia.

Gee, you sure know a lot about car manufacturing don't you?

17 minutes ago, kickstart said:

My field is farming one of the industry's mentioned by the op, the Thai graduates I have come across no less about farming than I did as a young 16 year wet behind the ears student, and a lot of Thai agriculture graduates go home and work on the family farm ,remember farming is a practical industry ,the average Thai graduate has no idea about any hands-on work ,I would say it would the same with other hands-on industries .

You can train anyone to use a computer, and they would be as good as any Europen after a while, but if that computer goes wrong, try and find a good person that can fix it not easy.

"As for the world at large outside of Thailand "Thai's would do not have a clue, you would have to make sure they have the world globe the right way up before they look at it.

Ie. educated Thai to me"My daughter lives in the USA, that is near Norway is it not",

Thailand is to in would looking country, things will not change here for a while yet.

I guess you would know.  What percent of Thai GDP is rice exports?  Hint = less than 2 percent. 

28 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

BMW, Ford, Volkswagen, Volvo, MG, Mercedes Benz and General Motors are from Japan?  Who would have guessed? They are all produced in Thailand. 

Made in the USA - Toyota, Nissan, Subaru, Honda and Kia.

Gee, you sure know a lot about car manufacturing don't you?

I bet that the Thai mostly bolt Toyota's and Honda's together for the japanese...but of course you won't agree right?