Borrow 800'000B for yearly Extension ?

10 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

Youre absolutely right. My idea of a confortable life is not having to watch every baht all day every day, having the ability to return home to see family or pay an unexpected decent size bill without being concerned where the money is coming from/having to adjust my lifestyle. A nice meal and a blow out with the boys is always more enjoyable when you know you can easily afford it . 

My outgoings each month including some travel to BKK (gf in Samut Prakan), fuel for 2 bikes (Ducati & Aerox), food, CrossFit, massages, utilities, Insurances, movies & entertainment, rent and misc is around 60K per month on a budget of 75K. 

Not bad.  I forgot about the massages - that's one thing the wife and I miss, now that we live in the sticks.  "Cheap rooms" can cost as much as a decent condo, due to marking-up the electric.

I live a pretty low key life, no regular bar visits and social drinker, and I guess with a cheaper condo I could drop that to 50Kish which could be trimmed further if I started to scrimp (not enjoyable though) 

Have to balance saving and not being miserable to do so. 

As I get older Insurances and savings will only grow in importance to me plus having a lump sum aside for any emergencies above and beyond savings. 

You are young enough to work here a year, then pay into the govt-insurance for life.  I forget the figure - very, very inexpensive - and won't go through the roof when you get older - then disappear entirely in your 70s.  The govt hospitals are pretty good, based on the care my wife got.  The nurses / docs did their jobs very professionally.  I got her a private room, for the whopping extra cost (joking) of about 1000 baht/day.  The govt-ins paid almost everything else, and the extent of care was much more than given in the USA for the same procedure.

I agree living in paradise on the ‘poverty line’ would be much more enjoyable but the reality of it tends to be much more difficult.  

Never romanticize being poor/broke.  It sucks.  Anywhere.

Ultimately having to panic and be concerned when there is a new rule (enforcement)/policy change by the government or home embassy would be a little to oppressive for me, especiallly if I couldn’t meet the financial requirements. 

In the past, they "grandfathered in" changes.  This embassy-letter thing is a new type of event for retired - but will need to see how it shakes out to know for sure.

• Thanks 1

On 11/21/2018 at 4:56 PM, cyberfarang said:
On 11/21/2018 at 4:08 PM, fanjita said:

No new news here.  

This isn't charity and the cogs were greased with the 20k.  Cash is king and your friend did nothing wrong.  

Everyone slept well and the earth continued to spin on its axis.

So the guy paid money to a corrupt agency, using corrupt officials and corrupt services in order to obtain something he was not entitled to, whereas us mugs that go through the correct channels playing by the rules have to jump over all the hurdles to obtain our yearly extensions that will probably mean having to go through more processes is perfectly legit, is it?

This really makes me angry and the sooner the antics of these people are curtailed, the better for us.

Or you could just relax, mind your own business and get on with your own life. Never mind what other people are doing. Why even bother reading this thread? It's a joke trying to define corruption and legality in Thailand. It's all grey and murky.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, onera1961 said:

As a last resort you can use an agent. Let it not prevent you from using them due to your Western sense of ethics, morality, or bribing.

Paying an agent 20,000 baht to waive the normal requirements for what the Ministerial Regulation would say normally costs 1900 baht is a bribe. I have worked and lived in Asia for 30+ years and never paid a bribe and I'm not going to start now.

What others may choose to do is up to them.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I spend about 65k-70kusd here every year. I still seek out cheap accomm and cheap bars etc. 

This will get censored but, I call BS to that. 

"I still seek out cheap accommodation and cheap bars"  Give me a break!

Unless a complete idiot, for 65-70K/yr in LOS's you can live like a rock star!

• Like 2

On 11/20/2018 at 3:56 AM, Scottjouro said:

The facts:

a loan of 800'000B.

He is 70 yo, retired

Owns a condo worth about 4 million baht

No credit history  in Thailand one presumes

answer from KasikornBank: No work Permit, No loan

I think K-bank have been very polite in this instance declining this loan citing the work permit rule

No bank who knows their stuff would make a loan under these conditions, work permit or not...

why would K-bank want "another" condo they cant sell on their books if the person, defaults or dies during the term of the loan ?

Person has no visible income stream - stated retired

No credit history (assumed) in Thailand

You don't think that the bank could sell a condo worth 4 million for 1 million THB if/ when the borrower defaults?  Seems that there is enough margin to satisfy the loan (unless it is a big hassle for the bank to foreclose in case of default)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

No I won’t name the bank, I don’t want everyman and his dog going there asking to open an account possibly be refused and then say why did you open one for such and such person.

I read loads of stuff on Thai Visa, formulated the best way forward, had a walk round a few banks, get off your butt and do the same as I did.

Nice that some people were decent enough to post helpful information for you on Thai Visa. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/21/2018 at 4:06 AM, bendejo said:

Personally, I think the loan/collateral thing is a bad idea.

The Thai person making the loan can call the condo in, get his brethren in high places (bank, sheriff's dept, whatever) to do his bidding, and then it is on you to make the legal case, pay lawyers etc.  And you may win, eventually, though it can take years.  You live out your days dealing with the mess.

I don't have a solution for your problem, OP, but at least try something that doesn't involve Thai legalities and trust in those who, at some level, see you as something less than human.

"Sheriff's dept"? This is not Dead Man's Gulch, Wyoming you know - though it is the Wild East sometimes.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, JLCrab said:

Paying an agent 20,000 baht to waive the normal requirements for what the Ministerial Regulation would say normally costs 1900 baht is a bribe. I have worked and lived in Asia for 30+ years and never paid a bribe and I'm not going to start now.

What others may choose to do is up to them.

Well bully for you on your moral high ground. As a person from a different culture, no matter how long you've been in Asia, it is as well that you do not seek to change the customs and habits of millennia. I have been in Asia for a similar length of time, and have used corrupt practices unashamedly, where convenient and worthwhile, and will continue to do so if I judge them no threat to anyone's wellbeing.

But as you say, and as the Thai girls of a certain profession say in that well-worn phrase, "up to you".

• Like 2