Pulsing brake lights

SiamSully

21 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Flashing brake lights make you more visible. Therefore the odds of being rear ended decrease - this is a GOOD thing.

Until one of the bulbs gives up and then it could appear that you're signaling to turn.  That's one of the reasons that flashing brake lights are illegal, everywhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 7:53 PM, Sakeopete said:

I have them installed on all my cars and motorcycles. Haven't been dinged with a fine yet.  They get my attention faster than brake lights that stay on. That is the reason my vehicles use them. 

B ollocks to the law, eh?

Edited by Just Weird
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Flashing brake lights make you more visible. Therefore the odds of being rear ended decrease - this is a GOOD thing.

I very nearly rear-ended a "fairly big" bike in the dark this morning. He seemed to have a randomly pulsing rear light even when not braking.

Of course when he DID brake the sequence changed only slightly leading to my ABS doing its job. Of course if I had hit him it would be my fault (dashcam footage could mitigate, but I'm not staking my life on it).

Let's stick to what's known internationally. No mistakes then.

Now when you see a red flashing light describing a gentle arc about 5 feet above the road at 2AM ...

... it was an elephant with a bike light attached to his tail.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Until one of the bulbs gives up and then it could appear that you're signaling to turn.  That's one of the reasons that flashing brake lights are illegal, everywhere.

In the USA - yes

Elsewhere - no

So not everywhere

SINCE we published details of BMW’s ‘Dynamic Brake Light’ – a system that flashes during heavy braking to warn others you’re hard on the anchors – there’s been some discussion in the comments on whether or not it can be legal in the UK.

So we thought we'd clear it up. The answer, perhaps unsurprisingly, is that it is legal.

https://www.visordown.com/news/general/are-flashing-brake-lights-legal

Want to make sure they work - do a walk around before you drive away

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Another USA practice - DRL are not mandatory.

Research has found that it greatly decreases accidents

Studies on the effect of changes in the use of DRL in Finland, Sweden and Norway report reductions of 22% to 40% for multiple daytime accidents. Studies in the USA and Canada for large fleet-owners introducing DRL show reductions from 7% up to 32% for mUltiple daytime accidents.

https://www.swov.nl/sites/default/files/publicaties/rapport/r-89-04.pdf

• Like 2

20 hours ago, canthai55 said:

In the USA - yes

Elsewhere - no

So not everywhere

SINCE we published details of BMW’s ‘Dynamic Brake Light’ – a system that flashes during heavy braking to warn others you’re hard on the anchors – there’s been some discussion in the comments on whether or not it can be legal in the UK.

So we thought we'd clear it up. The answer, perhaps unsurprisingly, is that it is legal.

https://www.visordown.com/news/general/are-flashing-brake-lights-legal

Want to make sure they work - do a walk around before you drive away

Read your own link.  Flashing brake lights alone that operate every time the brake pedal is depressed, regardless of the pressure applied, and without automatically bringing the hazards into operation are illegal in the areas your link described.

In Thailand flashing brake lights are illegal.   

22 hours ago, Just Weird said:

this concept goes even deeper...

- consider when you encounter 4 lanes of traffic on a wet day; and everyone has their emergency flashers on! 

so, you have all these flashing lights around you, trusting that the driver hasn't suddenly changed lanes (because he's suddenly changed to Indicators instead

This concept is the same as when you see a Bus stopped to decant passengers... you are coming up beside him, and now unaware the flashers have now been swapped for indicators, as it is now time for him to come back into your lane... 

4 minutes ago, tifino said:

this concept goes even deeper...

- consider when you encounter 4 lanes of traffic on a wet day; and everyone has their emergency flashers on! 

so, you have all these flashing lights around you, trusting that the driver hasn't suddenly changed lanes (because he's suddenly changed to Indicators instead

This concept is the same as when you see a Bus stopped to decant passengers... you are coming up beside him, and now unaware the flashers have now been swapped for indicators, as it is now time for him to come back into your lane... 

Lets face it, they only appeal to attention seekers with their cap on backwards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Lets face it, they only appeal to attention seekers with their cap on backwards.

and a set of wiperblades operating on the inside of the windscreen

(blowing raspberry at the window to make big engine noises, can get messy)

2 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Mercedes-Benz sells cars in Europe that are equipped with brake lights that flash quickly in response to hard brake pressure.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/g1195/10-car-options-the-law-wont-let-you-have/

Brake lights that flash quickly in response to hard brake pressure is a sensible application that indicates heavy braking only.

But imagine sitting in four lanes of traffic where all vehicles are fitted with flashing brake lights that operate at any braking pressure. I guess you could make it a bit more tolerable by allowing the vehicle stereo to control the flashes.

Edited by Fruit Trader

24 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

Brake lights that flash quickly in response to hard brake pressure is a sensible application that indicates heavy braking only.

But imagine sitting in four lanes of traffic where all vehicles are fitted with flashing brake lights that operate at any braking pressure. I guess you could make it a bit more tolerable by allowing the vehicle stereo to control the flashes.

When intelligently installed by manufacturers to activate under heaving breaking (i.e. exceeding a certain G level) the flashing break light system is excellent and a great safety feature - Many manufacturers are taking this step. 

However, as you mentioned above - if added as an aftermarket accessory to 'flash' whenever the break pedal is applied is just crazy, can easily be misinterpreted if one of the sides is 'out' and would drive people mad in traffic jams... 

It's already annoying enough that the car in front will sit in a Jam for 10mins with their bright brake lights on instead of placing the car into park... (yes, some brake lights are brighter than others, some are too bright when you are right behind them !)

• Like 1

3.1.2.Emergency Braking Display (Stop Signal)

The emergency braking display, or emergency stop signal, consists of a rapid flashing of the brake lamp when full brakes are applied. This technology is already optionally available on motor vehicles and has proven to be very effective

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=SWD:2016:431:FIN

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, transam said:

For general street use I reckon they are daft but activated on hard braking is a good idea to warn those behind the ride is making a quick stop so be aware...

You may not have any choice -

It is proposed:

Make emergency braking display mandatory for all M and N vehicles

01/09/2020 for new types

01/09/2022 for all new vehicles

Link as Above

Anything that increases safety on the road I am all for it.

And this does exactly that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

You may not have any choice -

It is proposed:

Make emergency braking display mandatory for all M and N vehicles

01/09/2020 for new types

01/09/2022 for all new vehicles

Link as Above

Anything that increases safety on the road I am all for it.

And this does exactly that.

Well it is a good idea for "emergency" braking, not for a "tool" to have to feel "cool"....????

Last night saw a bloke with blue rear lights on a shed of a pickup, another with clear..????

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/22/2018 at 10:20 AM, Formaleins said:

I drive  a bike and a car, personally I do not have  the flashing LED brake lights on either, but during the daytime and in bright sunshine, the flashing brake lights are a lot more noticeable. They can be irritating at night if held on in queueing traffic, but overall, if they make the bike stand out in the traffic then I am all for them. Most of the problems here are the idiots with no rear lights or so much white showing they look like they are going the wrong way.

What I have noticed here, or the lack of, is the pulsating headlamps. These were starting to become quite popular a few years back in the West.

I have pulsating headlights at one of my Goldwings!
Very satisfied with that.

On 12/3/2018 at 8:54 AM, Just Weird said:

SO: If you SEE a car in front of you, with ONE flashing "tail" light, and YOU believe he will turn one or another way, you think it`s OK to hit his ass??? STRANGE!!!
AND: YOU are wrong, they are NOT illegal "everywhere"! Some new cars have those installed from new! 

Edited by pellets
Additional info.

SO: If you SEE a car in front of you, with ONE flashing "tail" light, and YOU believe he will turn one or another way, you think it`s OK to hit his ass??? STRANGE!!!  

Brake lights are red turn lights are yellow/orange so no way to confuse them...well maybe if color blind.

3 hours ago, pellets said:

AND: YOU are wrong, they are NOT illegal "everywhere"! Some new cars have those installed from new! 

"SO: If you SEE a car in front of you, with ONE flashing "tail" light, and YOU believe he will turn one or another way, you think it`s OK to hit his ass??? STRANGE!!!"

Where did I say that?  Oh, yes, that's right, I didn't.

I'm not wrong, on their own they are illegal everywhere that has vehicles' constructions and use regulations.

Name one new car that has flashing brake lights in isolation installed by the factory.  Over to you.