Pulsing brake lights

SiamSully

On 11/22/2018 at 8:17 AM, Lacessit said:

They get more attention from the driver behind than a steady glow, which may be mistaken for just having the lights on after dark, or may not register if the protective lenses are dirty. Yes, I would be in favour of them.

By nature of the on/off strobe effect of the brake lights, they are off for 50% of the time and thus 50% less visible. They look like a great idea in grabbing your attention in daylight but they are worse than useless at night. Their uselessness is compounded by the low-quality, mass-produced LED's that are used in these non- OEM lights. Also, some less-informed will place a brighter white LED behind the red red plastic lens which only passes the red wavelengths with a brightness reduction nearer 70%. That's why some LED tail lights that look bright in the daytime look really dim at night when they're really needed.

red_led_lens.jpg.c5f3ed7764bd514e18ba4b6b0399f2d0.jpg

On 12/3/2018 at 8:55 AM, canthai55 said:

SINCE we published details of BMW’s ‘Dynamic Brake Light’ – a system that flashes during heavy braking to warn others you’re hard on the anchors – there’s been some discussion in the comments on whether or not it can be legal in the UK.

This is the sensible application of brake light strobe technology where it only kicks in under heavy braking and not every brake application This has great value when clipping down the autobahn (where Beemers are born) at the legal speed of >130 km/h and the closing distance/time is really short/quick when something suddenly goes pear-shaped up ahead.

On the back-end of a Honda Rollerskate driven by the perpetual brake pedal tapper, flying up the outside lane of the Mitrapharp at 2 AM, it's a total disaster waiting to happen.

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

On the back-end of a Honda Rollerskate driven by the perpetual brake pedal tapper, flying up the outside lane of the Mitrapharp at 2 AM, it's a total disaster waiting to happen.

I agree with everything you said until you got to the above sentence.

A)  why classify Honda as a rollescate compared to BMW's? and B) why don't "Roller Skates"  deserve the same safety, dynamic strobe brake lights provide for BMWs? 

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

A)  why classify Honda as a rollescate compared to BMW's? and B) why don't "Roller Skates"  deserve the same safety, dynamic strobe brake lights provide for BMWs? 

The 'rollerskate' is purely a reference to the difference between a high-end sedan with factory-installed, strobe-enabled brake lights that work only under high G-forces and the average, entry-level, 2-door runabout with after-market stroboscopic LED stop light bling installed solely because it looks cool and my brother-in-law has them.

There's absolutely no reason why any sized vehicle should have brake-force controlled strobe brake lights beyond the cost to the manufacturer and what value they place on improving passenger safety. That is the age-old car makers compromise between what improves safety and saves lives versus the bottom line. BMW's have a far higher profit line than (say) a Nissan Micra and purchasers of the former expect and get much more than purchasers of the latter. It is also why airbags are not standard on any given make/model depending on where it is being sold, ie. if it is not a legal requirement, it's not available.

Edited by NanLaew

8 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

There's absolutely no reason why any sized vehicle should have brake-force controlled strobe brake lights beyond the cost to the manufacturer and what value they place on improving passenger safety. That is the age-old car makers compromise between what improves safety and saves lives versus the bottom line.

Though a difficult to understand sentence, I think you already made the point that dynamic pulsating brake lights are desirable  (dynamic pulsating lights are lights that pulse at hard braking) to discern between check braking (when someone is touching their brakes ) and hard braking.

Skateboard cars" (a derogatory term IMO) already have ABS system that senses braking force and can easily and at a minimum cost  be adapted to margulate the brake lights at hard braking events. In stand alone systems a simple inertia sensor can sense declaration and pulsate the lights.

I agree that pulsating lights at any speed serve litle purpose, and are fad that will go away.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

Hes an expert on Skateboards and old Rangers, See under his old topics.

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:18 PM, transam said:

Even more annoying is bike red front lights and white rear...????

That would be totally outlawed in certain western countries, certainly my home country.

I do find pulsing break lights probably garner extra attention. But I also find them damned annoying, as do most other drivers.

18 hours ago, sirineou said:

Though a difficult to understand sentence, I think you already made the point that dynamic pulsating brake lights are desirable  (dynamic pulsating lights are lights that pulse at hard braking) to discern between check braking (when someone is touching their brakes ) and hard braking.

Skateboard cars" (a derogatory term IMO) already have ABS system that senses braking force and can easily and at a minimum cost  be adapted to margulate the brake lights at hard braking events. In stand alone systems a simple inertia sensor can sense declaration and pulsate the lights.

I agree that pulsating lights at any speed serve litle purpose, and are fad that will go away.

Not for those who drive an old shed...????