Outraged netizens blast man for traveling round Thailand for free!

webfact

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

Why attack the man for getting a free room?

He didnt cheat/rob or any other nasty thing, just asked and got.

Hotel owner fell for a sob story, thats all.

I'm a former senior editor (travel writer) for a newspaper with 14 mio. readers and visited more than 100 countries in this position. Almost everywhere you will find couples of parasites travelling the world for free in change for very questionable "reviews" on travel portals, and their own websites with meager traffic, financed by ads.          However, regarding the outraged netizens - its pure Thai envy.

Edited by Lupatria
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

He appealed to the owner saying he was from Bangkok and had no money. He was fed up with roughing it so could he stay a night for nothing in one of the air-con rooms with comfy bed. 

In return he promised a review of the hotel. 

Fair enough, win win situation.

when I comment on trip advisor I use my own experience to give information that may help inform other travellers - I am not using it to praise the hotel for the owners benefit. I do not need to praise a hotel for good service since I consider "good service" to be a minimum standard for ANY hotel or guest house.  Commenting on whether or not a hotel has parking is a very valuable piece of information and has nothing to do whether I had a car or not.  Far too many hotels use "parking available" to mean a couple of spaces outside the hotel or a public car park several blocks away!  I also might add comments if I thought a hotel was a good place for families (irrespective of whether I had a family with me)  There are only two types of review in my opinion - honest ones or dishonest one. 

As for the guy - well who hasnt tried to get something for nothing at some point in their lives - it is up to the business if they want to run with it.  Personally I think it would be great if hotels with empty rooms at say Midnight - offered free or low cost rooms to the many homeless people on the streets in every city

• Like 1

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

Why ? For abusing someone's sympathetic gesture, make the owner look stupid and because it now ruined it for a possible future real hard up cases. 

• Like 1

Why ? For abusing someone's sympathetic gesture, make the owner look stupid and because it now ruined it for a possible future real hard up cases. 

• Sad 1

Yes Buffalo who would listen to a review from a bum lol

• Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

I'm a former senior editor (travel writer) for a newspaper with 14 mio. readers and visited more than 100 countries in this position. Almost everywhere you will find couples of parasites travelling the world for free in change for very questionable "reviews" on travel portals, and their own websites with meager traffic, financed by ads.          However, regarding the outraged netizens - its pure Thai envy.

Did you pay your way or travel for free?

And in your illustrious career, did you not find a better place to settle than Thailand?

Given your views on Thailand and its citizens, surely one of the 100+ countries you

visited would provide you with the utopia you clearly seek.

Well Netizens has it wrong.

Charity and compassion is a hallmark of Thai culture.  True some do take advantage, but most do not.  Lets discuss the generous act of charity, which you will never see in a Western country rather than was the recipient a leech.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Will cost the owner to decontaminate the room after that hobo slept there.

Why is he a hobo? He proudly boasted thr free traveling around Thailand. Obviously he has money takes care of himself and is only taking advantage of his fello thais and their good hearts. So when someone dose come along and honestly could use the help they may not get it. 

6 hours ago, moe666 said:

My friend has a guest house here in Chiang Mai, he recieved a negative review from a guest complaining there was no parking for cars. The real problem was they didn't have a car. I guess should have offered a free room to get a positive review

Owners have the option to reply to customer feedbacks as in TripAdvisor if I am not mistaken. 

3 hours ago, jonclark said:"But netizens laid into the cheapskate saying this was not the done thing in Thailand. "

I think he personally has shown amazing economic sustainability. A very atypical and creative response to the usual consumerist nonsense that suggest the most expensive way of doing things is the best. 

I wonder how many of those outraged netizens are up to their neck in debt?  That would be a far more worthy topic for their outrage and energy. 

I think they are outraged because the guy is taking advantage of people’s generosity thru various means.Thai free train ride is for certain  group of people ( lower income ) who need traveling to work while the temple is for those travelers in real need of shelter. Think churches and homeless shelters in western countries. The Thai guy may be depriving the resources for more deserving people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meinphuket said:

Guy is milking the system for all it is worth... and bragging about it in public too.. 

2 hours ago, bust said:

I admire the guy. Good on him. Much prefer his story to hearing about the many loser farang who run out of funds and start begging ????

Agree.  As long as he honored his end of the bargain how is he any different to a celebrated food critic.

4 hours ago, DavisH said:

I know, it's outrageous. But cheating foreigners is just considered "doing business".

What a load of nonsense. I really can't understand why you so desperately feel the need to turn this around. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DavisH said:

I know, it's outrageous. But cheating foreigners is just considered "doing business".

There is an expression in Thai "Farang Kee Nok" meaning tight ass, cheating or dishonest foreigner.  Trust me the Thai people learnt such 'business skills' from abusive, selfish disrespectful western tourists.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, moe666 said:

My friend has a guest house here in Chiang Mai, he recieved a negative review from a guest complaining there was no parking for cars. The real problem was they didn't have a car. I guess should have offered a free room to get a positive review

The problem was not that this guest didnt have a car - the problem was and still is that there are no parking for cars….:thumbsup:

Edited by ttrd

4 hours ago, shy coconut said:

Did you pay your way or travel for free?

And in your illustrious career, did you not find a better place to settle than Thailand?

Given your views on Thailand and its citizens, surely one of the 100+ countries you

visited would provide you with the utopia you clearly seek.

Of course I travelled for free but not for fun this is a serious job! I was invited by travel agencies, airlines governments, hotel chains, and tourism departments. But believe it or not, my editor in chief gave me the guideline: if it’s good for our readers, tell them. If not- kick ass no matter who invited us to report about their destination and what they offer you.

Yeah, I could have gone to much more peaceful and convenient countries (sorry that you only seem to know them as utopia) to live as a 'farang' but I got stuck here due to some circumstances you don't need to know.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, omegaman said:

There is an expression in Thai "Farang Kee Nok" meaning tight ass, cheating or dishonest foreigner.  Trust me the Thai people learnt such 'business skills' from abusive, selfish disrespectful western tourists.

Or to be more precise - a learnt and borrowed trait from the Western cultures, where dishonesty and disconnections are base character.