Loei teacher in lucky escape as "knot" smashes through her car window

webfact

Loei teacher in lucky escape as "knot" smashes through her car window

3pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Police were called to the Loei - Chiang Khan Road after a teacher had a lucky escape from a flying object.

Dararat Khemjorn, 40, was driving home from school when the object flew in via the driver's side window and landed at her feet. 

She managed to maintain control of her Yaris and park by the side of the road. 

She was slightly hurt by flying glass. 

Thai Rath said the object was a knot that came loose from the central reservation. 

They wondered how that might have happened. 

The incident happened yesterday evening between KM markers 9 and 10 in Muang district of the north eastern Thai province. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-22

21 minutes ago, roo860 said:

It isn't a cats eye, it's a reflective road stud, these come in quite a few different forms.

The original cats eye design was invented by a guy from Halifax.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Percy Shaw (apparently related to my Grandma - Or so she used to always tell us when Granddad was driving down the road)...

• Like 2

This, I suspect, is a bad translation of the Thai word, น็อต, which is pronounced knot or not and means nut in English.

Thing is, it is neither a knot (bird, rope, shoelace, nautical mile, whatever) or a nut (edible or mechanical).

So I give up on that front and just feel some empathetic relief and happiness at the fact the car driver was uninjured.

• Like 2

The described road is plastered with some reflective(?) markers for the center divider.

Unfortuately the street view is too blurry to be sure if it's one of these.

Could have come loose and thrown up by an other car.

pegs.jpg

In the Thairath linked article, they call it a หมุดเกาะกลาง.
A หมุด is a peg, pin or thumbtack. So I guess they believe it's something like a reflective road stud for a traffic island or street isle.

On 11/22/2018 at 12:15 PM, Briggsy said:

This, I suspect, is a bad translation of the Thai word, น็อต, which is pronounced knot or not and means nut in English.

Thing is, it is neither a knot (bird, rope, shoelace, nautical mile, whatever) or a nut (edible or mechanical).

So I give up on that front and just feel some empathetic relief and happiness at the fact the car driver was uninjured.

Google translate plus Thai imagination! 

Re. bad and totally wrong translations: Has anyone noticed that some Thai telephone answering menu choices for banking etc. are wrongly translating the 'hash' key '#' as 'the pound sign"' e.g., "please enter your account number followed by the pound sign (£)" when they mean the hash key (#). How the hell did they balls that one up!!!