English skills provide opportunities for Filipinos in Thailand

rooster59

English skills provide opportunities for Filipinos in Thailand

By EUNICE BARBARA C NOVIO

Long before the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) was conceived, which established treaties, the ancient kingdoms of Siam and Luzon had been engaged in trading as well as sending troops by the latter to fight the Burmese during the Sukhothai Dynasty. But it was only on June 14, 1949, that the the Philippines and Thailand signed a Treaty of Friendship formalizing their bilateral relationship.

The Philippines was a popular destination among Thais before World War II, since the country’s education system was patterned after the US curriculum aside from cheap tuition and low living costs compared with the United States and England.

Among the popular Thai personalities who were Philippine-educated is the popular band Kalabaw. Its members studied at the Gregorio Araneta Foundation (now De La Salle Araneta University). The band’s name is from Tagalog kalabaw (water buffalo). Adamson University, Central Luzon State University and the University of the Philippines are other institutions where Thais often studied.

Full story: http://www.atimes.com/english-skills-provide-opportunities-for-filipinos-in-thailand/

ASIA TIMES: 2018-11-24

• Like 1

The full article appears, in a nudge nudge, wink wink manner, to be encouraging Filipinos to come to Thailand as tourists and get a job teaching once in country. 

“Filipinos have admitted to this author that they were tourists upon their entry and later found employment as teachers in different provinces in Thailand. Such people are given a one-year Non-B (work) visa and a work permit. The contract is renewable for another year depending on the performance of the employee and the ability of the employer to pay. Thus these tourists become teachers.”

• Like 1

Was there not a push to get rid of foreign English teachers when the boys in green set up in government house ?  I have met Filipinas that have taught in Thailand for more than 18 years.  Then there was a move to remove then and others just after the coup.  Am I wrong ?

I would bet there are more English speaking Filipinos in Thailand doing work other than teaching.  I went to Saint Louis Hospital in Bangkok for some blood work and at the registration desk, there was English speaking Filipino staff. I have also stayed at hotels in Bangkok with Filipino reception staff.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dodgydownunder said:

Highly embarrassing loss of face by the Thai government to basically admit that their own English teachers are not up to scratch. To call upon fellow south East Asians to do the job.

Could only be worse for them if they had to ask the Burmese, Khmer or Viets to come across to teach. THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN OF COURSE.

I have worked with many Filipinos. Apart from their great English I really love their zest for life and fun loving spirit, both males and females. Fascinated by their love of Air Supply love songs! 

Thailand. Som nam naa! 

The Thai government haven't had to call on Filipinos to come from Thailand because their 

teachers are not up to scratch. In fact the government were not mentioned at all in the post.

What I took from the article (not a Thai publication) was that many Filipinos are having to

travel abroad for employment due to the economic hardship at home. And many are working

as teachers in Thailand.

It seems that they are being used by their employees as cheap labour, being paid far

less than a native English speaker doing a similar job.

• Like 1

I've worked for years with teachers from many countries, the majority of them Filipinos. Their command of the English language is basic at best. The exams they wrote had inconsistencies, poor logic, multiple possibilities for an answer to a question that required an absolute, and so on. Why are they so prevalent in Thailand? They work for 2/3 the pay of a native speaker and will do ANYTHING they are told to, regardless of how ridiculous the order was because they can be fired for no real reason and forced to leave Thailand within 24 hours. I would ask them why they would work in a country for low pay and poor conditions when neighboring countries pay more and treat them better. I never COULD get a clear answer to that question.

21 hours ago, mok199 said:

Thailand needs to get serious about improving its English abilities...The thai language should be in a museum with many of its old fossil politicians,dusted and brought out to be paraded around on cultural days

Totally agree - the main reason Filipinos are better than Thais at English is that they read in a Western script despite having their own language.  If Thai hieroglyphics were phased out & replaced by the English alphabet, great leaps forward will be made - despite what Prayuth says.

• Like 2

Many Thai parents are seemingly unhappy that their child or children are being taught English by Philippine citizens.

Although clever people, I tend to find most have a pushy nature with a poor command of English grammar both spoken and written.

I was once told by a Philippine, that Philippine citizens in general are very competitive in thier own culture and sadly I've witnessed that behaviour spill over in Thailand, on many occasions in the past.

Most are employed at a cheaper rate by the Thai education authority and sadly students are receiving a sub standard lever of education.

Education compromised by greed .

Sad.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TPI said:

After teaching in Thailand for a few years I noticed the influx of Filipinos into the schools? In the teachers study rooms the conversation went something like this..."I know that the parents don't like the Asian teachers because they have to pay as if they are foreigners but the directors love them as they'll work for 15K up to 25K where the foreigners from outside want 35K-45K"!

Interesting insights. 

What strikes me as well is just how little they are paying on average. Even 45k is a rather pathetic sum for a western teacher of any subject. And what experienced Westerner (from a developed country) would come to a place like Thailand to live on a lower middle class Thai salary? It's outrageous and kind of embarrassing.

The kinds of people who usually end up in these jobs are young kids or people maybe who were already here and just needed a job. These westerners are still better than locals of course but the low pay is a sign of the Thai attitude.

Bad system all around

• Like 1

15 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Lets face it, who want's a Thai as a boss.

F- that. No way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tried it once. Never again. With, can but for CANNOT. Thankfully those years behind me now.

If faced with an ultimatum, I'd rather ship off to work in an active war zone. 'jing jing' 

Edited by Fex Bluse
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/24/2018 at 9:32 AM, mok199 said:

Thailand needs to get serious about improving its English abilities...The thai language should be in a museum with many of its old fossil politicians,dusted and brought out to be paraded around on cultural days

It is getting serious... it's cutting the teacher training period from 5 years to 4 years !!!!

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Sonhia said:

Many Thai parents are seemingly unhappy that their child or children are being taught English by Philippine citizens.

My daughter previously went to a blingual school with flippers as English teachers. Had the full score of 4 for English. I tested her with EF's online test, she got 52% (I got 94.5% myself, just to give a reference point). Around CEFR 7-8. So "top score" here means you're able to converse about everyday matters. If I was graded for my crappy Thai in the same system I'd probably get a 4 too.

She's now at an international school with British teachers and curriculum. The improvement in her English abilities has been nothing but dramatic, on a good day she's able to describe in fine detail the classes she's taking without missing a beat. That's the difference between the wannabe kids playground Thai schools with flippers and the real deal. Not to mention the lack of "thainess" brainwashing. The price is obviously far higher but well worth it.

https://englishlive.ef.com/en-gb/learn-english-online/your-results-and-certificates/

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DrTuner said:

My daughter previously went to a blingual school with flippers as English teachers. Had the full score of 4 for English. I tested her with EF's online test, she got 52% (I got 94.5% myself, just to give a reference point). Around CEFR 7-8. So "top score" here means you're able to converse about everyday matters. If I was graded for my crappy Thai in the same system I'd probably get a 4 too.

She's now at an international school with British teachers and curriculum. The improvement in her English abilities has been nothing but dramatic, on a good day she's able to describe in fine detail the classes she's taking without missing a beat. That's the difference between the wannabe kids playground Thai schools with flippers and the real deal. Not to mention the lack of "thainess" brainwashing. The price is obviously far higher but well worth it.

https://englishlive.ef.com/en-gb/learn-english-online/your-results-and-certificates/

...how old is your daughter??....What language are you speaking at home?...and when she is out and about with her friends ,what do they speak ,and where are her friends from..??  thanks