'I'm just sorry for what I did': Alberta woman arrested in Thailand returns home

rooster59

What drives the Thai penchant for insanely draconian sentences for relatively minor offenses? I would expect this in Islamic countries but not in Thailand. It's like they toss out two to ten year sentences for virtually any act by some drunken yob. Deportation would be sufficient.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

A couple of things.. she did just write one letter and then thought better of it and stopped.. the 'historic wall' is a reconstruction built in 1986 so is not actually the 'ancient wall' .. a 100,000 Bt fine is a pretty stiff fine.. along with international humiliation for her crime.. and possibility that she is black listed.. a pretty heavy penalty for the crime don't you think?  I believe she admitted to drinking a lot.. insinuating that she took drugs is slanderous.. 

I suspect that the "brains" behind this misadventure was the Scouse kid, who admitted being absolutely plastered. She was more likely tagging along and hoping to impress him. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, neeray said:

This story is (bull) shit anyway. Mother nature would have long since destroyed his turd long before his return to inspect his business. I think he's just having a little fun with gullible TVF readers (his idea of fun).

agree, and wonder whether he ever was in a desert in the first place.
what a time-waster, wasting his time on baby age fantasies is his problem, but don't bother others with those infantilities.
anyway, one more valuable user whose valuable contributions I will not have the pleasure of having the opportunity to read in future.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

While I agree with other posters that stupidity is at the root of this, I have to say that in my time, I have seen much, much worse. The Thais didn't exactly come out of this fantastically. The world knowing Thailand will jail someone for up to 10 years for a bit of graffiti', which was washed off in no time, hardly did wonders for their ailing tourist industry. In my younger years I did some fairly dumb stuff, for which I am not proud. Just lucky I didn't do it here I guess.

Singapore law concerning chewing gum is equally bizarre with a penalty for bringing/smuggling it into the country a $5000 U.S.D. fine and/or a year in jail :w00t:

Edited by Dap

My parents taught me, among other things, to brush my teeth, to floss, to fold my clothes, to not go to Islands where hunter gatherers may kill me, and when on a foreign soil, its their country, their rules, so dont call if you do something stupid.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, ezzra said:

The notion that countries like Thailand are a backwater county populated with peasants and they can do whatever they like...

Thailand is a backwater country populated with peasants. 

Nearly every piece of data regarding Thai society you can find supports this. Don’t let the nice malls fool you.

You can also do almost anything you’d like here so long as you have the money to pay for it. This young lady just proved that to be correct. Her only real crime was not immediately having enough money to pay for what she wanted to do. 

11 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Obviously all model citizens...or maybe just unwilling to admit past transgressions.

As a boy of maybe 11, I threw a raw egg into a neighbor's tilted bathroom window. In addition, I felt the urge to write SEXY on school furniture, misspelling it, of course ????

3 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

It was stupid what they did yes - but what ANCIENT wall?

Thapae Gate is a cheap replica built in the 1980’s.

I absolutely agree that they should have been made to clean the wall and fined a reasonable amount - but the story they tried to make out of this is ridiculous!

A good lawyer would have disputed the “ancient” wall story or charging them the totally unreasonable amount of 8000 $ for a cleaning job that took 30 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

This is nothing more than Thai drama, of which they written this into a soap opera , to be aired in about 2 mnths....

• Like 1

Before my first trip to Thaiiland I read up on the dos and don'ts
and where to go to see the sites. Obviously the young, do not do that
anymore.
And she had PLENTY of time to educate herself on the 18 hour flight time from Canada to Bangkok!

19 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

The woman yes, but the thug no. We have a that`s too harsh opinionated system in Britain and now anti social behaviour has become out of control in Britain.

I very much doubt the thug paid his own fine and I very much doubt he has any remorse at all. The softly softly approach is not a deterrent, which has been proven time and time again in Britain.

Remind me when you last lived in Britain , was Queen Victoria still on the throne ?