HP Pavilion g6, not booting, please help

localexpat

hello

I have a HP Pavilion g6, about 5 to 6 years old.

It has a windows 7 ultimate SP6 operating system

About 2 years ago I shut it down as I stopped working. I recently started it up and the windows 7 seemed to be all over the place, keys switch screens, cannot control mouse, some keys did not type,etc etc

I tried to re-install the operating system but it hung so I restarted.

When I start the computer I get the screen attached. I tried to press all F keys F1 to F10 no effect, I have to press escape key to get to the Start Windows Normally screen.

Whether I choose normally or Safe mode the effect is same, see last screen shot, The Computer  restarted unexpectedly and restarts to same cycle again.

So seems no Bios no matter what keys I press. So cannot get to the DVD with the operating system on.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the BIOS battery ran out when I shut it down for a couple of years.

If so where can I get a HP Pavilion g6 replacement BIOS battery.

Near to giving up and buying a new Laptop

Any help appreciated, thanks

20181126_124817_resized.jpg

20181126_124830_resized.jpg

20181126_124916_resized.jpg

2 hours ago, localexpat said:

If so where can I get a HP Pavilion g6 replacement BIOS battery.

The net says it's a trivial CR2032 (as many computers have).

It can be got about everywhere, even supermarkets and 7/11 have it.

BUT: it seems the battery is not easy accessible?

If in doubt, go to some repair shop/boot and have it done there.

If I understand the first image right, the CMOS timer is on March 2017.

Indeed a good idea to change battery, then setup CMOS to save default (or whatever it is called) and set a correct date/time (must not be to the second).

Hello KhunBENQ

many thanks for your prompt and helpful advise.

Way beyond my to replace the CMOS battery so I have decided to buy a new HP Laptop, it was a bit old.

There is one I like from Lazarda but it comes with only DOS, I think

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i160586799-s193400308.html?spm=a2o4m.cart.0.0.7e7d6108sNWBvX&urlFlag=true&mp=1

What do you think of it, I am just looking for a decent laptop, nothing too special.

I wish to put a Licensed version of Windows 10 English in it.

Could you please advise me where I can buy a complete Windows 10 In English complete with Key and Software.

A Lazarda link would be really appreciated.

One last thing, I hear you can set Windows 10 to English so it does not matter what language version you buy.

One again thanks

15 hours ago, localexpat said:

Hello KhunBENQ

Way beyond my to replace the CMOS battery so I have decided to buy a new HP Laptop, it was a bit old.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i160586799-s193400308.html?spm=a2o4m.cart.0.0.7e7d6108sNWBvX&urlFlag=true&mp=1

What do you think of it, I am just looking for a decent laptop, nothing too special.

Could you please advise me where I can buy a complete Windows 10 In English complete with Key and Software.

One last thing, I hear you can set Windows 10 to English so it does not matter what language version you buy.

One again thanks

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/usb16gb-windows10-pro-key-i252320453-s389349889.html?spm=a2o4m.pdp.recommendation_2.2.42e5620eYVmmdp&mp=1&clickTrackInfo=243a2ae7-624b-423b-a193-229ed4f9ede0__252320453__3960__1__99110&scm=1007.16389.99110.0

Vendor looks like he speaks english so you could ask for w10 english setup and set new laptop bios to boot from usb.

If you have access to a pc and usb stick its easy to do it youself as w10 is free to download from microsoft and can buy licence on lazada for about 200 bht.

16 minutes ago, BigT73 said:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/usb16gb-windows10-pro-key-i252320453-s389349889.html?spm=a2o4m.pdp.recommendation_2.2.42e5620eYVmmdp&mp=1&clickTrackInfo=243a2ae7-624b-423b-a193-229ed4f9ede0__252320453__3960__1__99110&scm=1007.16389.99110.0

Vendor looks like he speaks english so you could ask for w10 english setup and set new laptop bios to boot from usb.

If you have access to a pc and usb stick its easy to do it youself as w10 is free to download from microsoft and can buy licence on lazada for about 200 bht.

There is really no need to copy all of the tracking information when posting a link. This will do; https://www.lazada.co.th/products/usb16gb-windows10-pro-key-i252320453-s389349889.html

In addition, 950 baht is patently ridiculous. 200 baht for the licence and 750 baht for the Flash drive. ????

16 hours ago, localexpat said:

Hello KhunBENQ

One again thanks

Have you taken leave of your senses? A few hundred baht to replace the battery, against 16k for a new laptop??

Remove the HDD from the unit(takes two minutes) before taking it in for the CMOS battery replacement.

On return, fire up the old HDD, back up Windows 7 activation, swap the HDD for an SSD(simple as Pi) and clean install Windows 10 to it. No need to buy another licence as your current Windows 7 licence will work for Windows 10.

Huge increase in performance for not a .lot of money.

29 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

In addition, 950 baht is patently ridiculous. 200 baht for the licence and 750 baht for the Flash drive.

Thanks for the heads up on posting links!

I agree when you can guy 4g usb from around 300bht, but it was one of the cheaper ones I could find from lazada, if you havent pc access and want to diy from home there isnt alot of options.

Anyway, disregarding the CMOS battery possibility for a moment, what else have you tried?

Hard Drive Self Test?; https://support.hp.com/th-en/document/c00439024

Removed RAM and cleaned contacts with a pencil eraser?

Hard reset? Remove battery and hold down Power button for ten seconds.

HP consumer products are....special. Not something that I would purchase. Yet you appear keen on buying another.

From the sound of it, it could be a failing HDD and perhaps not the CMOS battery. So replacing with an SSD could kill two birds with one stone. Fixing the issue and upgrading performance at the same time.

Run the HDST.

I recently started it up and the windows 7 seemed to be all over the place, keys switch screens, cannot control mouse, some keys did not type,etc etc

Typical symptoms of a failing HDD. Sluggish and not responding.

Also, it appears that you have never updated the BIOS; https://support.hp.com/th-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-g6-Notebook-PC-series/5226244/model/5255581

At least seven releases. Though I'll take a closer look at that in due course. The Thai devices supplied with DOS might have a different BIOS supplied initially. But you are running Windows, so the updates might be necessary.

As an aside; https://h30686.www3.hp.com/?lang=en-GB

• 2 weeks later...

Well I took the advise of the posts in this forum.

Took the Laptop to a Computer repair shop, took a minute to diagnose bad hard disk and keyboard.

Had them both replaced ( SSD hard disk upgrade) plus compete strip down and cleaning as it was running hot.

4,200 Baht with an upgrade to Windows 10.

One question

If I have a Laptop need a fresh installation of Windows 10, how should I do this.

I have downloaded Windows 10 from Microsoft so I presume I need to only buy a License Key.

They seem to range from 5000 Baht with Software, to only a couple of hundred Baht.

Advise appreciated.

Thanks for all the assistance

Archived